Berghoff Germaniac Pale Ale

overall

RATINGS: 14   MEAN: 3.03/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.94   EST. CALORIES: 189   ABV: 6.3%
Scratch the surface of the German beer tradition and you find gems like this: a crisply bitter golden ale from Northern Germany that faded into obscurity a hundred years ago. With its subtle honey notes and small dose of molasses which gives it a lightly nutty character, this is a beer that deserves a much wider audience. We follow the classic recipe, with a mix of three types of malted barley, plus wheat and a dash of oats for a creamy texture, plus tiny amounts of Wisconsin cranberry honey and light molasses, both of which add subtle shading of aroma. Hopping is vigorous, and along noble lines, but amped up a bit with some North American varieties as well, just to keep it fresh-tasting and bold. It’s an ale fermentation, so there is a hint of fruitiness that plays nicely with the honey and molasses notes.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
TheJestersBeer (2123) - SWEDEN - SEP 29, 2014
Keg@O'Hare airport. Dull, medium straw, thin head. Malty, slightly hoppy aroma, cardboard, citrus. Dry, medium body and bitterness, balanced CO2. Taste as aroma, malt, resin, caramel, cardboard. Quite bland. (2014-09-29) ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
wlajwl (3999) - Quad Cities, Iowa, USA - SEP 12, 2014
Aroma is bread, pale malts and a hint of fruit. The flavor is biscuit/German malts, fruit, citrus and a medium dry/tart finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Onslow (1205) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - AUG 7, 2014
On tap at North 11 in Kalamazoo. Amber brew with white head. Aroma of sweet malt and floral hops. Taste is sweet, at first, sweet and fruity in the middle and ends the same, with a little grass and a sour lactic note in the finish. Quaffable and enjoyable.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 10/20
miyauchi38 (318) - chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 25, 2014
飲みやすいが&# 好きではない

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
troyc (2473) - Illinois, USA - JUN 23, 2014
[Tap] Golden pour with a pillowy white head. Everything about this beer is dominated by floral notes. Aroma and taste also include sweet grains and some straw. An easy drinker. Maybe would be better with less of a malty sweetness though.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
rumproasts (3204) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAR 1, 2014
bottle. Golden with small head. I cringe a bit when I see "brewed in Stevens Point" on a bottle. Not much good beer seems to come from that town. This isn’t bad however. Mild body, mild hops. Doesn’t seem very German though.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Patrickctenchi (3969) - Cox’s Knob, columbus, Indiana, USA - JAN 21, 2014
Pours clear, honey gold with a thin, off-white head. Sweet grain and honey aroma. Taste is sweet..light honey and lemon. Grain, mild grassy bitter....floral. Ok,.....does have a decent German feel to it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
esjaygee (3903) - Oak Creek, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 26, 2013
Berghoff introspective 3 of 5. My dad was the one who introduced me to travel a long time ago. He was a teacher and we’d take long family vacations every summer to visit every National Park we could on a 2 or 3 week trips. He instilled the travel bug in me, as did my siblings as we’d have our annual camping weekend at different campsites in Wisconsin. Young and broke, I started out camping near Milwaukee, then wanted to try at camping at as many different places as I could. If there’s such a thing as a collector personality, that’s me. Not in a hoarding kind of way but when I get into things, I get into them. After camping, it was roller coasters. By this time I could take my own long multi-week vacations to add another coaster credit to my list. I still ride them occasionally and have ridden around 340 different roller coasters. As I grew older I needed things a little easier on the body. We started mixing beer in with our coaster trips and eventually the coaster trips turned into beer and disc golf trips (yes I have way too many discs and have played well over 100 courses). The drives were now to St Louis, Louisville and Grand Rapids instead of Allentown, Agawam and Elysburg. And they were about relaxing slow paced beer drinking ventures. Not only did my dad introduce me to my love of travel, he introduced me to my love of beer…

Hazy golden yellow with a medium off-white head. Aroma is sweet and floral with honey, noble hops and some caramel underneath. Very floral taste of honey, toasted malt, skunky perfumed hops and a mild bitter finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
DrnkMcDermott (2821) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - AUG 26, 2013
Draft at the Berghoff bar. The pour produces a nice foamy head over a golden lager color, edging slightly toward a pale ale orange. The smell actually put me in mind of German noble hops, with some English in the background. That’s in the taste as well, although the hop seems to be knocked off its perch by a sweeter malt profile than I’d expect. After a little more, I decide the hops are the equal of the malt after all, but they don’t quite harmonize.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
fatguys (72) - Wisconsin, USA - AUG 23, 2013
UPDATED: FEB 20, 2014 Pours a dark gold with weak white head. Decent lacing. Nose of pale malt, honey and grassy hops. Initial notes of pale malt, and then things get thick and sweet. This is where the honey and light molasses are apparent. Finish is moderate herbal bitterness. Complex yet refreshing. Nice everyday ale with an interesting history.