overall

RATINGS: 23   MEAN: 2.5/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.55   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
Your father’s red ale was pretty to look at but not much to drink, seriously in need of a personality transplant. But over the years, red ales have turned into the real deal, with a character as lively and big as any pale ale. Reppin’ Red blends seven malts for layer upon layer of caramel and toasted toffee with the uniquely peppery spiciness of rye and tops it all off with a mix of selected Pacific Northwest hops, chosen for their lively flavors and sophisticated aromas of flowers, pine and citrus. It’s a big beer that demands big food. Reppin’ Red is fantastic with grilled meat and steaks, and totally rocks a burger. For something different, try it with blue cheese or a nice, sweet slice of carrot cake—you’ll be amazed.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
shrubber85 (7875) - Greenville, Indiana, USA - APR 6, 2013
Bottle. Tinny corn malt aroma. Medium amber with moderate head. Metallic corn syrup and barley malt flavor. Mild bitter herbal finish. Never had a bottled beer with a metallic taste.

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
crossovert (7738) - Illinois, USA - JUN 4, 2013
12 oz bottle. Smell is straight bubble gum. Flavor is a mish mash of yeast off-flavors and metal.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Ughsmash (7175) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 8, 2013
Bottled. Poured light-medium amber with a creamy beige head. The aroma picked up charred caramel and molasses with dusty earth and odd funky accents. The flavor found tart, funky notes throughout (hard to place, and not enjoyable).. caramel and lesser molasses supported.. tart and ugly on the long finish. Lighter-bodied with moderate carbonation on the palate.. just funky and unpleasant.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
thedm (4968) - Fort Wayne, USA - DEC 25, 2012
This bottled brew from a bottle shop poured a very large sized head of foamy finely sized off-white colored bubbles that were and left behind a softly carbonated transparent golden brown colored body and a creamy thick lacing. The aroma was musty. The flat mouth feel was weakly tingly at the start and at the finish. The mild flavor contained notes of crystal malt. Not one that I would buy again. Weak and unsatisfying.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
hotstuff (4236) - Indiana, USA - OCT 1, 2014
Backlog rating on 9-13-2012 (Draft) This beer forms a large frothy off-white head that mostly diminishes, transparent amber body, fizzy, fast rising carbonation observed, and spotty amounts of lacing. The aroma is caramel malt and hops. The flavor is semi-sweet, caramel malt, hops, and metallic. This beer is light bodied. This beer has a nice appearance and that is the best aspect of this beer in my opinion.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
wlajwl (4001) - Quad Cities, Iowa, USA - JUL 29, 2013
Aroma is banana split, medium sweetness and a hint of nuttiness. The flavor is light toffee, sweetish malts, fruit and a tart finish. Different enough to be a decent amber ale.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
Patrickctenchi (3969) - Cox’s Knob, columbus, Indiana, USA - MAR 18, 2013
Pours clear, red-copper with a short tan head. Scent is caramel malt. Taste is an awful, cardboard, metallic mess. Terrible. Nice looking beer...ends abruptly there.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
esjaygee (3903) - Oak Creek, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 26, 2013
Berghoff introspective 5 of 5. While Berghoff was a staple in the fridge back in the early 90’s, it soon gave way to Leinenkugel’s and Capital Autumnal Fire. It would eventually would stop appearing in my fridge and in my conscience. When I first started branching out heavily into craft beer in 2006, I started buying lots of samplers from all these places I’d never heard of. One day , I saw a Berghoff sampler pack on the shelf and I snagged that baby up and was excited to crack it open. Sure I liked the Great Lakes, Capital, and Tyranena stuff - but this was Berghoff! This was the shit! Just as I noticed back in the day how much better Berghoff was than MGD, I noticed how much lesser of a beer it was than my new craft options in my fridge. It was my original gateway beer, and I got to savor some pretty good Berghoff moments with my dad – Badger Rose Bowls, Packer games, College Graduation and countless family gatherings. And here I sit many years later having my fifth and final Berghoff beer in my sampler. At first I was upset that I accidently bought these five Illinois beers. In the end - even though I didn’t finish a single beer - they took me down memory lane and I got to reminisce about my dad, whose been gone for over ten years now. I also thought of how Berghoff was my gateway into this ratebeer madness and how something that seems so blah to me today was the shit to me 20 years ago.

Clear copper with a two finger airy khaki topper. Sweet and dusty aroma of toffee, fruit, dough, molasses and sweet malt. Taste is decidedly off with toffee, fruit, dusty malt and some light cherry. Bland and metallic with faint bitterness.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
queenholly (3007) - South Whitley, Indiana, USA - JAN 5, 2013
Bottle. Grainy malt aroma.. rather lagerish. Clear copper with a small white head. Sickly sweet grain malt. Very cloying. Medium body and carbonation.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrnkMcDermott (2822) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - JUN 21, 2013
Draft pint at the Berghoff Bar. New version reformulated by Randy Mosher and now brewed at Stevens Point. Now at 6.2% abv. I picked up a bit of spicy rye in the nose right away. Deep reddish brown color under a thin head. The palate holds on to that rye spice, and the malts stay to the light side. Advertised PN hops seem more like their peppery European cousins. Then again, I’m drinking this after a plate of Thai food with extra Sriacha. Caramel roast malt provides a canvas for the rye and spice to play.