overall

RATINGS: 21   MEAN: 2.47/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.53   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
Your father’s red ale was pretty to look at but not much to drink, seriously in need of a personality transplant. But over the years, red ales have turned into the real deal, with a character as lively and big as any pale ale. Reppin’ Red blends seven malts for layer upon layer of caramel and toasted toffee with the uniquely peppery spiciness of rye and tops it all off with a mix of selected Pacific Northwest hops, chosen for their lively flavors and sophisticated aromas of flowers, pine and citrus. It’s a big beer that demands big food. Reppin’ Red is fantastic with grilled meat and steaks, and totally rocks a burger. For something different, try it with blue cheese or a nice, sweet slice of carrot cake—you’ll be amazed.

Fredis23's rating

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 7/20
Fredis23 (480) - Hickory Hills, Illinois, USA - MAY 19, 2013
Dark Copper, Big Bubbly Head, Some Lacing. Creamy Malt and some Hop finish. Overall - bland, nothing stands out. OK thirst Quencher otherwise boring.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
two7offsuit (124) - Massachusetts, USA - APR 11, 2014
Pours Amber with a light tan head. Some malt flavor with mild grassy hops.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Onslow (1102) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - JAN 19, 2014
Pour from a 12 oz bottle. Lvely red brew with light tan head. Aroma of sweet malt, grass, tart fruit. Taste is sweet malt with crisp hops finish - a little fruit and some grass. Average palate and overall a very pleasant brew.

My experience with Berghoff stems from attending graduate school in the loop area of Chicago in the mid 80’s. At that time the idea of a brew pub (which Berghoff was very much) was pretty cool. I had been in the naissance of craft brew movement from the early 70’s (which was more of homebrew movement at that time) and was sampling everything I could find (which in those days was not so much.) THe Berghoff was like a paradise oasis of beer - even though all their brews were really just derivations of standard brews of the time. It was great stuff in the day - these days I try to get to the Berghoff a few times a year when I am in Chicago, but the craft beer movement has gone far beyond anything that they did or have done and they are probably too traditional and too conservative to move fast enough to ever catch up. Still, a good place for fine beer and German Food.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Niko100 (1839) - Illinois, USA - DEC 7, 2013
Draft; Amber color; Medium slightly creamy body; Aroma of caramel malt, and dusty grain/hops; Flavor of malt, caramel, hops, and some nuts; Finish is slightly bitter; Decent amber ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
esjaygee (3903) - Oak Creek, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 26, 2013
Berghoff introspective 5 of 5. While Berghoff was a staple in the fridge back in the early 90’s, it soon gave way to Leinenkugel’s and Capital Autumnal Fire. It would eventually would stop appearing in my fridge and in my conscience. When I first started branching out heavily into craft beer in 2006, I started buying lots of samplers from all these places I’d never heard of. One day , I saw a Berghoff sampler pack on the shelf and I snagged that baby up and was excited to crack it open. Sure I liked the Great Lakes, Capital, and Tyranena stuff - but this was Berghoff! This was the shit! Just as I noticed back in the day how much better Berghoff was than MGD, I noticed how much lesser of a beer it was than my new craft options in my fridge. It was my original gateway beer, and I got to savor some pretty good Berghoff moments with my dad – Badger Rose Bowls, Packer games, College Graduation and countless family gatherings. And here I sit many years later having my fifth and final Berghoff beer in my sampler. At first I was upset that I accidently bought these five Illinois beers. In the end - even though I didn’t finish a single beer - they took me down memory lane and I got to reminisce about my dad, whose been gone for over ten years now. I also thought of how Berghoff was my gateway into this ratebeer madness and how something that seems so blah to me today was the shit to me 20 years ago.

Clear copper with a two finger airy khaki topper. Sweet and dusty aroma of toffee, fruit, dough, molasses and sweet malt. Taste is decidedly off with toffee, fruit, dusty malt and some light cherry. Bland and metallic with faint bitterness.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
illiniphil (122) - Nashotah, Illinois, USA - NOV 25, 2013
Pours a ruby amber with thin white head. Toasty rye, spices and malt flavors. Very drinkable. This is a great get home from work beer. Basic but still full of flavor. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
twindadplus2 (576) - Wisconsin, USA - OCT 14, 2013
Dark ruby color with a small light tan head that faded pretty quick. Aroma of sweet, slightly toasty malt and faint herbal spice. Flavor is caramel and yeasty spice. Medium bodied with an herbal, creamy finish. It’s a decent beer especially for the price.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
wlajwl (3554) - Quad Cities, Iowa, USA - JUL 29, 2013
Aroma is banana split, medium sweetness and a hint of nuttiness. The flavor is light toffee, sweetish malts, fruit and a tart finish. Different enough to be a decent amber ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
dekester1 (299) - Neenah, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 26, 2013
Pours an amber/red with a soft head lacing. Aroma is of malts with a slight prune hint. Taste is of malts and mild hops with a slightly nutty finish. Palate was decent. Overall, a decent red ale.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Ughsmash (7005) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 8, 2013
Bottled. Poured light-medium amber with a creamy beige head. The aroma picked up charred caramel and molasses with dusty earth and odd funky accents. The flavor found tart, funky notes throughout (hard to place, and not enjoyable).. caramel and lesser molasses supported.. tart and ugly on the long finish. Lighter-bodied with moderate carbonation on the palate.. just funky and unpleasant.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrnkMcDermott (2748) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - JUN 21, 2013
Draft pint at the Berghoff Bar. New version reformulated by Randy Mosher and now brewed at Stevens Point. Now at 6.2% abv. I picked up a bit of spicy rye in the nose right away. Deep reddish brown color under a thin head. The palate holds on to that rye spice, and the malts stay to the light side. Advertised PN hops seem more like their peppery European cousins. Then again, I’m drinking this after a plate of Thai food with extra Sriacha. Caramel roast malt provides a canvas for the rye and spice to play.