overall

RATINGS: 25   MEAN: 2.52/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.57   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
Your father’s red ale was pretty to look at but not much to drink, seriously in need of a personality transplant. But over the years, red ales have turned into the real deal, with a character as lively and big as any pale ale. Reppin’ Red blends seven malts for layer upon layer of caramel and toasted toffee with the uniquely peppery spiciness of rye and tops it all off with a mix of selected Pacific Northwest hops, chosen for their lively flavors and sophisticated aromas of flowers, pine and citrus. It’s a big beer that demands big food. Reppin’ Red is fantastic with grilled meat and steaks, and totally rocks a burger. For something different, try it with blue cheese or a nice, sweet slice of carrot cake—you’ll be amazed.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
two7offsuit (240) - Massachusetts, USA - APR 11, 2014
Pours Amber with a light tan head. Some malt flavor with mild grassy hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
esjaygee (3903) - Oak Creek, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 26, 2013
Berghoff introspective 5 of 5. While Berghoff was a staple in the fridge back in the early 90’s, it soon gave way to Leinenkugel’s and Capital Autumnal Fire. It would eventually would stop appearing in my fridge and in my conscience. When I first started branching out heavily into craft beer in 2006, I started buying lots of samplers from all these places I’d never heard of. One day , I saw a Berghoff sampler pack on the shelf and I snagged that baby up and was excited to crack it open. Sure I liked the Great Lakes, Capital, and Tyranena stuff - but this was Berghoff! This was the shit! Just as I noticed back in the day how much better Berghoff was than MGD, I noticed how much lesser of a beer it was than my new craft options in my fridge. It was my original gateway beer, and I got to savor some pretty good Berghoff moments with my dad – Badger Rose Bowls, Packer games, College Graduation and countless family gatherings. And here I sit many years later having my fifth and final Berghoff beer in my sampler. At first I was upset that I accidently bought these five Illinois beers. In the end - even though I didn’t finish a single beer - they took me down memory lane and I got to reminisce about my dad, whose been gone for over ten years now. I also thought of how Berghoff was my gateway into this ratebeer madness and how something that seems so blah to me today was the shit to me 20 years ago.

Clear copper with a two finger airy khaki topper. Sweet and dusty aroma of toffee, fruit, dough, molasses and sweet malt. Taste is decidedly off with toffee, fruit, dusty malt and some light cherry. Bland and metallic with faint bitterness.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Niko100 (2060) - Illinois, USA - DEC 7, 2013
Draft; Amber color; Medium slightly creamy body; Aroma of caramel malt, and dusty grain/hops; Flavor of malt, caramel, hops, and some nuts; Finish is slightly bitter; Decent amber ale.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 7/20
Fredis23 (515) - Hickory Hills, Illinois, USA - MAY 19, 2013
Dark Copper, Big Bubbly Head, Some Lacing. Creamy Malt and some Hop finish. Overall - bland, nothing stands out. OK thirst Quencher otherwise boring.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Frank (3015) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 13, 2014
This has a decent nose but it tastes kind of gross. I’m not into it. It’s a murky brown red w/ a small white head. There is a touch of caramel malt in the nose but it is mostly a pretty nice citrusy hop character that predominates. Taste is more sweet and malty--oversweet in fact. It has a slightly harsh earthy hop bitterness and passes across the palate in a sticky and sluggish way. The first wiff of this had me hopeful but by the end of the bottle, I am pretty sure I will never drink this again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
jmagnus87 (2732) - Rockford, Illinois, USA - JUN 3, 2013
12oz bottle poured into a shaker. Pours a clear copper with a half finger of off-white head. Aroma of sickly sweet cotton candy and green apple. Taste is medium sweet. Sugar, green apples and brown. Light bodied with a sticky texture. Lively carbonation and a long sweet finish. Overall, meh. Too sweet for my taste.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
hotstuff (4269) - Indiana, USA - OCT 1, 2014
Backlog rating on 9-13-2012 (Draft) This beer forms a large frothy off-white head that mostly diminishes, transparent amber body, fizzy, fast rising carbonation observed, and spotty amounts of lacing. The aroma is caramel malt and hops. The flavor is semi-sweet, caramel malt, hops, and metallic. This beer is light bodied. This beer has a nice appearance and that is the best aspect of this beer in my opinion.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
cbfobes (2344) - Quad Cities, Iowa, USA - FEB 23, 2013
12oz bottle from the sample pack, thank God this thing was only $7, and that was for a 12 pack, pours a light orange amber with a thin head and bubbles through out, not impressive, aroma is pretty weak, just a hint of malt to it, the flavor has a sweet front end with a tad bit of hops in the finish, really thin through out, some malt, just bland and boring.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Ughsmash (7181) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 8, 2013
Bottled. Poured light-medium amber with a creamy beige head. The aroma picked up charred caramel and molasses with dusty earth and odd funky accents. The flavor found tart, funky notes throughout (hard to place, and not enjoyable).. caramel and lesser molasses supported.. tart and ugly on the long finish. Lighter-bodied with moderate carbonation on the palate.. just funky and unpleasant.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
shrubber85 (7947) - Greenville, Indiana, USA - APR 6, 2013
Bottle. Tinny corn malt aroma. Medium amber with moderate head. Metallic corn syrup and barley malt flavor. Mild bitter herbal finish. Never had a bottled beer with a metallic taste.