overall

RATINGS: 15   MEAN: 2.45/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.54   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
In the old days, most dark beers had a reputation for being heavy, even sweet. Not this one. By reinterpreting some historic German traditions, including the ancient “altbier” style of Düsseldorf and adding a decidedly 21st century American twist to it, we’ve created a dark beer with a dry, refreshing character and a ton of personality. We start with a mix or pilsner and pale ale malts for a complex, dry maltiness, then layer on specialty malts that add toasty, cookie and a little dark toffee character. All of this is balanced by a hop mix that adds to Sir Dunkle’s crisp complexity. Lagering rounds off any rough edges, leaving a satisfyingly dark-beer flavor with a clean drinkability.

Fredis23's rating

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 6/20
Fredis23 (480) - Hickory Hills, Illinois, USA - MAY 19, 2013
Dark Brown, Good Head, Some Lacing. Lightly Toasted, Light Bitter and Malty. Bland, all flavors come as one dimensional and subdued. Should be sharper and have"more balls". As is, is boring and forgettable.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
Patrickctenchi (3093) - Cox’s Knob, columbus, Indiana, USA - JAN 25, 2014
Bottle: Pours deep brown-red with a small beige head. Roasty malt, caramel scent. Taste is sweet, crisp, toasted malt. Actually, pretty good.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Onslow (1102) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - JAN 17, 2014
Pour form a 12 oz bottle. Darker brew - cola colored - with white head. Aroma of toasted malt. taste is a nice blend of roasted malt. and sweet malt with nice dry finish. Good!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
JonnyMadison (19) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 14, 2014
Bottle. The aroma of the beer is very weak. but the flavor is bold and fresh. Although it malty, this beer is not heavy and has a crispness to it. The palate is very smooth and relaxing. Lot’s of flavor, but not too strong like some darker beers.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
polomagnifico (1202) - Saginaw, Michigan, USA - DEC 7, 2013
Bottle. Aroma has notes of dark toffee, dough, dish cloth, wet wood and a little cereal grain. Not very good. Very dark amber/brown hue with a small off-white head that left no lace and almost fully diminished. Palate is light bodied with average carbonation. Overall, yucky.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Niko100 (1842) - Illinois, USA - DEC 7, 2013
Draft; Dark amber/cider color; Medium slightly creamy body; Aroma and flavor of malt, caramel, and some grain; Not too bad.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
esjaygee (3903) - Oak Creek, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 26, 2013
Berghoff introspective 4 of 5. My dad was the one who introduced me to Berghoff a long time ago. When I was younger and seeking out that random beer to take from my dad’s stash back in the day, my choices were usually Blatz and MGD. I utterly hated Blatz and would not take one, but I was always happy to snag an MGD as that was my beer of choice in my late teens and early 20’s. Actually, Haffenreffer Private Stock really was whenever I could get my hands on it. I’d get a 40-O or sometimes a 64 ounce behemoth and sit in the woods by Wick field and suck that thing down with Matt, Mark and Greg. Right around the time I was turning 21, my dad started buying Berghoff. The beer had all different sorts of names and colored labels and my curiosity got the best of me. I cracked one open one day and noticed right away how much better it was than MGD. So by the time I was 21, I was already drinking what might have passed as craft beer back then. Sam Adams, Leinie’s, Pete’s and Berghoff were common in the fridge with Berghoff being the beer of choice of our household. The sampler packs that popped up were great as I was able to try all different styles of beer and noticed how much I loved the variety and tasting aspect of beer drinking.

Clear copper with a thin tan head and flare lacing. Aroma of toasted German malts, sticky buns and mild dark malts. Taste is bland and meh with toasted malt, mild dark malts and a metallic finish.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
wlajwl (3568) - Quad Cities, Iowa, USA - NOV 2, 2013
Aroma is dark malts, kind of murky and caramel underneath. The flavor is dark malts, caramel and a dryish finish.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Dfonorow (1217) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 23, 2013
Bottle. Pour is light brown with a finger-wide tan head. Flavor and aroma are both sweet and light, not much going on besides some faint coffee notes.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
dlbeer (663) - Wisconsin, USA - AUG 18, 2013
Bottle. Dark mahogany pour with off white head. Smells funky. Tastes the same. What is up with these beers from Monroe, WI? ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Ughsmash (7008) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 30, 2013
Bottled. Poured a lovely shade of clear, deeper garnet with an inch worth of dense smoked beige head. The aroma picked up dark toasted bread and biscuity notes with cold coffee and vanilla accents.. I really dug it (and was surprised to). The flavor found more vanilla on the middle, along with some toasted cocoa and bready notes.. cocoa, vanilla, and the faintest touch of earthy bitterness on the medium-length, semi-sweet finish.. tasty. Lighter-bodied and mostly dry on the palate.. good carbonation kept it moving.. this was WAY better than expected, and I’ll probably grab more.