overall

RATINGS: 19   MEAN: 2.58/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.62   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
In the old days, most dark beers had a reputation for being heavy, even sweet. Not this one. By reinterpreting some historic German traditions, including the ancient “altbier” style of Düsseldorf and adding a decidedly 21st century American twist to it, we’ve created a dark beer with a dry, refreshing character and a ton of personality. We start with a mix or pilsner and pale ale malts for a complex, dry maltiness, then layer on specialty malts that add toasty, cookie and a little dark toffee character. All of this is balanced by a hop mix that adds to Sir Dunkle’s crisp complexity. Lagering rounds off any rough edges, leaving a satisfyingly dark-beer flavor with a clean drinkability.

Fredis23's rating

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 6/20
Fredis23 (481) - Hickory Hills, Illinois, USA - MAY 19, 2013
Dark Brown, Good Head, Some Lacing. Lightly Toasted, Light Bitter and Malty. Bland, all flavors come as one dimensional and subdued. Should be sharper and have"more balls". As is, is boring and forgettable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Mark_Eck (686) - - JUL 22, 2014
Pours a very dark brown. Aroma and taste are mostly malts. Not a whole lot of flavor here.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
JSigsbach (6) - Chicago, USA - JUN 26, 2014 does not count
Pleasant dark lager paying respectable homage to the German Dunkel style. I liked the Sundown Dark version better because of its ever so slight chocolaty sweetness. Nevertheless, Sir Dunkel is a full bodied, smooth dark lager with a mildly bitter/hoppy finish with hints of toastiness. I prefer this beer during the fall/winter months with heavier comfort foods. The significant price hike in the Chicago area though, leaves me searching for other options,

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
milewide (1511) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAY 31, 2014
Pretty but bland. Not my favorite style, but I tried hard to find an aroma and taste---with little success.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
sawbuck (325) - Round Lake, Illinois, USA - MAY 29, 2014
Aroma of sweet roasted malt, with some notes of chocolate. Deep ebony profile with a surprising white fluffy head that holds well. First bite is a muted, roasty semi-sweet malt. Followed by a mildly bitter bite. Finishes with slight bitterness, and notes of roasty chocolate. Mouth feel is slightly watery. Average.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
Patrickctenchi (3651) - Cox’s Knob, columbus, Indiana, USA - JAN 25, 2014
Bottle: Pours deep brown-red with a small beige head. Roasty malt, caramel scent. Taste is sweet, crisp, toasted malt. Actually, pretty good.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Onslow (1162) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - JAN 17, 2014
Pour form a 12 oz bottle. Darker brew - cola colored - with white head. Aroma of toasted malt. taste is a nice blend of roasted malt. and sweet malt with nice dry finish. Good!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
JonnyMadison (38) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 14, 2014
Bottle. The aroma of the beer is very weak. but the flavor is bold and fresh. Although it malty, this beer is not heavy and has a crispness to it. The palate is very smooth and relaxing. Lot’s of flavor, but not too strong like some darker beers.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
polomagnifico (1202) - Saginaw, Michigan, USA - DEC 7, 2013
Bottle. Aroma has notes of dark toffee, dough, dish cloth, wet wood and a little cereal grain. Not very good. Very dark amber/brown hue with a small off-white head that left no lace and almost fully diminished. Palate is light bodied with average carbonation. Overall, yucky.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Niko100 (2001) - Illinois, USA - DEC 7, 2013
Draft; Dark amber/cider color; Medium slightly creamy body; Aroma and flavor of malt, caramel, and some grain; Not too bad.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
esjaygee (3903) - Oak Creek, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 26, 2013
Berghoff introspective 4 of 5. My dad was the one who introduced me to Berghoff a long time ago. When I was younger and seeking out that random beer to take from my dad’s stash back in the day, my choices were usually Blatz and MGD. I utterly hated Blatz and would not take one, but I was always happy to snag an MGD as that was my beer of choice in my late teens and early 20’s. Actually, Haffenreffer Private Stock really was whenever I could get my hands on it. I’d get a 40-O or sometimes a 64 ounce behemoth and sit in the woods by Wick field and suck that thing down with Matt, Mark and Greg. Right around the time I was turning 21, my dad started buying Berghoff. The beer had all different sorts of names and colored labels and my curiosity got the best of me. I cracked one open one day and noticed right away how much better it was than MGD. So by the time I was 21, I was already drinking what might have passed as craft beer back then. Sam Adams, Leinie’s, Pete’s and Berghoff were common in the fridge with Berghoff being the beer of choice of our household. The sampler packs that popped up were great as I was able to try all different styles of beer and noticed how much I loved the variety and tasting aspect of beer drinking.

Clear copper with a thin tan head and flare lacing. Aroma of toasted German malts, sticky buns and mild dark malts. Taste is bland and meh with toasted malt, mild dark malts and a metallic finish.