Serve in Tumbler, Weizen

RATINGS: 8   MEAN: 3.25/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.03   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Wit, or “white” beers—so-called for their hazy appearance—are a grand old family of beers that date back a thousand years in Northern Europe. Their longevity is justified; witbiers are complex yet subtle, dry but creamy, and always delightfully drinkable. Solstice is a carefully updated classic that starts with the traditional mix of super-pale 6-row malt and unmalted wheat and oats, giving the classic hazy appearance and rich creaminess on the palate. We use a specially selected coriander and an exotic Asian citrus called calamansi for a bright, tantalizing nose; then add a dash of hops for another layer of aroma. And, as with any good witbier, it is unfiltered.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
onceblind (3933) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAR 23, 2014
Lightly hazy golden with a thin white rocky head. The nose has quite a bit of orange peel and sweet bread crust. The taste is dry and toasty with some sweet orange zest and something like tropical pear. Tasty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
madvike (2659) - Middleton, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 5, 2014
Bottle - Light golden pour with a foamy white head. Nose is lightly peppery and yeasty, with coriander and a crisp, fruity malt base. Taste is more of the same, with lemon and tropical fruit, a doughy yeastiness, and some light peppery spice. Slick and fluffy carbonation. Pretty good stuff from a brewery that I haven’t been impressed with before the switch.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
esjaygee (3903) - Oak Creek, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 26, 2013
Berghoff introspective 2 of 5. Say what, Berghoff is now from Chicago? Funny how the beer I was happy to try and rate because it was from Wisconsin now I really wanted nothing to do with since it was from Illinois. Nothing against Illinois, save maybe Chicago traffic and the Bears, but I was looking for my Wisconsin rate. I have no delusions of ever catching Skyview (though he tells me records were/are made to be broken), but that’s not really what this whole Wisconsin thing is about. We all rate for different reasons. I (mostly) love my home state and attempting to try a lot of beers made here is simply my mission – my manifesto so to speak. It gives a focused aspect to my beer drinking hobby and something to look forward to on many day trips and overnight trips in Wisconsin. Checking out a new brewpub and having beer I’ve never had before is still exiting to me, even as I approach 4000 rates. The travel beer bug was planted in me long ago by my dad…

Cloudy ultra light yellow with a thin white head. Aroma is herbal and spicy with coriander, toasted malt, caramel and bready yeast. Taste is herbal with aloe vera, coriander, lemon, yeast, toasted malt, mild noble hops and a peppery spicy finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DrnkMcDermott (2776) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - SEP 3, 2013
Draft at the Berghoff, and served in a shaker with a lemon slice. Oh, well. Cloudy with a thick, sudsy white head. Smells of citrus even after I took out the lemon wedge. Definite scent of some hefeweizen esters as well, a little more than their regular hefe. Quite a spice taste up front, with some tropical fruit following. And I get more cinnamon than coriander. There’s even a hint of tequila.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
drpimento (2153) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 12, 2013
This is one of the best of the new line up of Berghoff brews, but it’s no standout. Poured at a good temperature with a decent sized, off-white, foamy, thick head that soon settles to a thin cover and some lace. Color is a slightly hazy, light amber with no bubble trails. Aroma is first yeast, then spice and a bare hint of citrus. Flavor’s much like nose along with a bit of fruit. Body/carbonation ok. Finish is like flavor, tang dominates along with some yeast bitter. Not bad if you don’t have a lot of options.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
AirForceHops (2948) - Epping, New Hampshire, USA - MAY 8, 2013
12 oz. bottle courtesy of queenholly. Great looking hazy yellow with ample Co2 producing a thin lasting white head. Nice nose of citrus and yeasty phenols. Flavor is yeasty with some banana notes. Grainy. Light body with a crisp and refreshing finish. Not the best you can find but I imagine for the price of a six pack, this could be an easy drinking, affordable summer brew if you enjoy fresh wheat beers. I enjoyed the yeasty flavors.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
queenholly (2827) - South Whitley, Indiana, USA - MAR 24, 2013
Bottle. Sweet fruity wheat malt aroma. Hazy honey gold with a moderate white head, Orange, wheat malt, and light spice flavor. Light body, moderate carbonation.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Patrickctenchi (3401) - Cox’s Knob, columbus, Indiana, USA - MAR 19, 2013
Pours hazy amber gold with a short white head. Scent is lemon polish, wheat, orange. Taste is orange, rather like the flavour found in alka-seltzer cold plus. A little coriander....tingly carbonation. Sounds worse than it is..... not terrible, just bland and a little artificial/