overall
Serve in Weizen

RATINGS: 50   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.12   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
Literally meaning yeast wheat. This light bodied ale pours hazy gold. Flavors of bananas and cloves are derived from our traditional German yeast strain. Our "Hefe" finishes with a slight pleasing tartness which makes it a perfect choice for the warm New England summer. Try it with a lemon wedge! 4.5% (from their website)

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Drake (8029) - Free Union, Virginia, USA - SEP 16, 2012
Bomber from Whole Foods Market Darien. Pours a hazy lemon color with a thin frothy off-white head. Fair head retention. Oh my... there’s some banana. Aroma of bananas foster... banana and caramel, along with pineapple and other fruits, toasted notes and faint spice. The taste is banana, caramel, stone fruits, spice. Medium bodied. A little bit too estery.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
TheCorkStops (53) - Connecticut, USA - JAN 29, 2012
Berkshire Brewing company is a small craft brewery located just a short drive north of here in Massachusetts. Released at the peak of Summer, their Hefeweizen is only available into the fall (usually). I’m a big fan of the seasonals from Berkshire Brewing Company so we often stock up a little extra at the store to enjoy these brews beyond their season alone. This 22oz Bottle of Berkshire Brewing Hefeweizen pours a brilliant golden straw color. Just a touch of haziness fills the glass, with a thin layer of ivory white foam on top. Last time I had this Hefeweizen the foam over-flowed my glass, but this is a few months older so I’m not really surprised the carbonation has faded a little. What really strikes me in this brew is the nose; every time I have the Berkshire Hefeweizen I’m impressed by the aromas! More than any other Hefe that I’ve had, this smells like a glass full of banana! There’s a little bit spice in the background, but the aromas are easily dominated by the banana, citrusy lemon, and other light fruity aromas. The Hefeweizen is as full on the palate as it was on the nose. There’s a significant portion of that banana and citrus that I was picking up in the aromas, as well as a substantial portion of spice. Flavorful and full, yet easy-drinking and refreshing! Not exactly the best brew to keep me warm on a cold night, but I’ve been drinking so many big stouts lately that this is a nice change of pace!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jcwattsrugger (11076) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - JAN 22, 2012
22oz bottle-shared @Small Tasting at my place-pours yellow with a retaining tight white head. Aroma is peach/pear, whea/light malt, slight spice. As it warms, some clove. Taste is clove-spice, wheat/light malt. Ok effervescence.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
5000 (6211) - Hardened Liver, Washington, USA - NOV 25, 2011
Bottle:   Bright straw, fine sediment floats about, moderate to large frothy white head, spotty lacing, very soft carbonation.   Pale wheaty nose, but also some unripened apricot/peach like fruit skin.   A little doughy on the tongue, dirty wheatiness, slight bright yeastiness.   Decent, but the doughy yeasty part reminds me of an American made Tripel.   Body and mouthfeel are moderate.   Ho-hum finish, pale wheatiness that has a hint of fruit skin.   This one doesn’t seem all that German to me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
cakanator (452) - South Hadley, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 5, 2011
This is for an on tap review, I’ve had plenty in the 22, but this one on a sweltering hot day during a break at work in a frosty cold mug, nothing beats it. Great look, cloudy off yellow hue with a big frothy head. Big aromas of banana and clove which I love about this, it doesn’t get too sweet or cloying with flavor, very balanced. So clean, crisp, and refreshing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
swoopjones (5676) - Buffalo, New York, USA - SEP 7, 2011
draft at Nor"Easter in Provincetown. somewhat uncloudy hefe pour, Bubblegum aroma & flavor is more front & present than the traditional banana 7 clove. Lemon citrus & wheat. American take on style

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
chefelf (55) - New York, USA - SEP 3, 2011
Lighter and thinner than I’d expected. Very citrusy. Pours a cloudy yellow with a white foamy head. Good but reminded me more of a saison than a hefeweizen. Would be very refreshing on a very hot night.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jtclockwork (8050) - , New Jersey, USA - AUG 23, 2011
Bottle. Pours gold. White head. Nose/taste of pear, banana, clove and wheat. Slightly medicinal herbal finish. Medium body.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
rocbyter (1895) - Waterbury, Connecticut, USA - JUL 15, 2011
Light sour wheat aroma. Cloudy golden color with a large white head. Light sweet throughout. Gets slightly sour in the finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
altonbrownd (3756) - Brussels, BELGIUM - JUL 1, 2011
Pint bottle from Kimballs. Grapefruit body with large head. Nose is fruity and hoppy. With notes of bananas and citrus. Taste is similar, lots of hops and fruits, especially bananas. Quite enjoyable. Not the Hefeweizen I am used to in Europe but good nonetheless.