overall
Serve in Bowl

RATINGS: 726   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.86   EST. CALORIES: 90   ABV: 3%
Light golden in color, extremely sour with a light bodied wheat character.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
cb (810) - Roeland Park, Kansas, USA - JUL 27, 2003
I didn't recognize the style; thought it was a wheat beer that had gone south. Sour nose, quickly diminishing middle. Light palate, refreshing...meaning that I was ready to go for a barleywine afterward, not contemplate the palate. Not incredibly flavorful and not at all complex. Very light corn color. Perhaps the German equivalent of a lawnmower beer? I'm ready to try higher rated versions of the style. I can perhaps see why someone would add syrup to this.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
EKGoldings (526) - Radford, Virginia, USA - JUL 19, 2003
Drank this one without syrup. Very interesting style with crisp acidity and complex aroma. Some light fruit on the nose, some dairy, not much in the way of hops. The finish was crisp.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BeerLimey (2154) - California, USA - JUL 15, 2003
Pale straw color, light haze, moderate head. Sweet honey and citrus aroma, mildly sour and spicy. Lambic like sourness on the palate, hints of honey and sugar and a vagure raspberry like sweetness and tartness. Nice dry acidity in the finish. (My first berliner weisse)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 2, 2003
6/20/03, draft, Berlin. I'd read about the light, sour Berlin Weisse style of beer and was anxious to try it. Oddly, I never saw it on a bar menu without the syrup, so ever adventurous I tried this one with the cherry syrup added. My rating is based on my pleasure in the drink experience, since it was not so much a beer as a dessert drink. Cloudy burgandy color with a creamy dark pink head. Nice lacing, though slightly "clumpy". Aroma is sweet and sour, refreshingly acidic, berry and light alcohol. Tasted like a fine quality sour cherry soft drink. Complex flavors, malt and dry hops all overshadowed by the sweet cherry flavors. Smooth, syrupy body with gentle carbonation. Very good drink! (but a beer?)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 1, 2003
A white head quickly diminishes to a thin ring atop a body, clear and golden. The aroma is quite unique. Very sour, revealing only hints of it wheatiness. Occasional wafts of grainy bread float by. Strong carbonation prickle and entertain the tongue. A refreshing crispness of wheat, malt, that bread, and an odd back-of-the-throat sourness. An interesting style, but I much preferred the Schultheiss I briefly sampled this past weekend.

1.1
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
pondoshuffles (141) - Fitzroy Harbour, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 22, 2003
I know its a world classic style, but I can't get close to it. Smells like baby puke, tastes like sour milk. In Germany they add fruit essence to it, but I don't think I could drink it even then.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - MAY 11, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 20, 2004 Very effervescent,Nearly no head in fact it faded so fast it was barely there.Nice golden straw color.Hoppy,malt aroma.Very carbonated almost like alka-seltzer carbonated.Very unique flavor lightly malty lightly hopped a citrus note in it that seems to be an over whelming amount of lemon,coupled with the extreme carbonation it really hurt's the content of this brew.Not a weisse as i know them to be it almost should have a place of it's own.The after taste is very sour,like sucking on a freshly cut lemon sour.In some ways it's refreshing and yet it has a repulsive quality as well. Definately a much better brew with the red syrup kind of turned the brew into some kind of tingely raspberry soda pop.Now the green was nothing special kind of gave the brew this strange cotton candy like flavor that actually made the brew harder to pallate.So i guess if syrup is your thing then go with the red mine came courtesy of Nexxus

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
duff (5484) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - MAY 4, 2003
I don't really know what to make of this, that subtle hit of sour is pretty much the only thing i liked about this, very light texture, with little development of any flavour, like sour lemonade, with a touch of grainy malt. My first Berliner weisse, and i'm a bit let down and confused.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - MAY 1, 2003
My wife is from Germany and this is the only bier she drinks except for an Altbier with fruit in it which is known as an Altbier Bowle. Anyway I tried one in Germany a couple years ago dut didn't really remember it that well until tonight when I finally located a six pack and the authentic raspberry syrup that is served with it. The beer is very light in color and looks almost like an american lager. I tried it first without the raspberry and found it very tart and sour with a hint of citrus and apple. Not really refreshing in anyway for me. Next we added the syrup and mixed it up. About 2 oz. seemed like the right amount. The combination of tartness and sweetness is a nice blend. This time I taste green apples. This is a most unusual drink and is worth trying once. It is also served with a green syrup made with the herb woodruff. My scoring is based on the beer with syrup added.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
argo0 (11181) - Washington DC, USA - MAR 19, 2003
Clear soft golden body with small white head. (Without syrup): Aroma is green apple and mildly sweet. Taste is apple cider past its prime, light vinegar, and slightly watery. (With Woodruff syrup): Syrup evens out the flavor -- pistachio with slight sourness and mild sweetness.