overall
Serve in Bowl

RATINGS: 777   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.85   EST. CALORIES: 90   ABV: 3%
Light golden in color, extremely sour with a light bodied wheat character.

1.1
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - SEP 7, 2004
Had this with raspberry syrup added. First I tasted the beer straight up. Pale yellow, little appreciable aroma. watery, fizzy mouth, and little if any taste. So, I added the syrup. Made it taste like a weak lambic. With or without syrup, this was bad. Should have just had the syrup.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
igel (196) - New Mexico, USA - SEP 4, 2004
Poured a light yellow prior to the syrup (green) being mixed. Color became light chartreuse with a full white head and fine carbonation. Head dies quickly and there is little lace. The aroma is tart and yeasty with some aroma hops. The flavor is tart and lemonade like (but low one sweet). Some hop bite follows up. Mouthfeel is tart and effervescent. A fun and refreshing beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Syd (921) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - AUG 31, 2004
Bottle pours a fizzy yellow color with a very short lasting head and no lace. The aroma is funky. The flavor is like carbonated lemon juice and stomach acid. The palate is thin and fizzy. Yes, this needs the syrup. I have no syrup. I’ll try maple syrup. Um, no, do not try this at home. Do not put maple syrup in this. It tastes like sour dough pancakes. Actually, it is better with the maple syrup, but it is still very bad. Do not do any of this unless you have the licensed syrup. Holy crap, what the hell I am doing?

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Rastacouere (6134) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 20, 2004
Faint nose, very subdued hay and tart wheat. Cat urine and vomit hints. mustardy apple and lemon juice. Straw blonde. Very uni-dimensional, there’s nothing, but this acidity. Looks like a macro, tastes like a macro with lemon juice. Decent thin-body, but big weaknesses in the flavor development.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 10/20
legion242 (2225) - Richardson, Texas, USA - AUG 18, 2004
Wow. I have had these bottles for over a year and I kepy meaning to go buy some syrup to add to it while drinking, but I finally broke down and tried one without any syrup. Poured with no head. Very dry and very lactic, though not to the degree of a lambic. Just puckering. I hope to perhaps find a truer version on my upcoming trip to Germany and try it in it’s true homeland.

0.8
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
TheBeerCollector (633) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - AUG 17, 2004
Mouth puckering sour. Tastes like Budweiser mixed with lemon juice. This crap gave me heartburn. If you want a refreshing, sour, thirst quenching drink then I recommend lemonade.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
radiomgb (2262) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 12, 2004
Clear golden in colour. Aroma was quite odd with a weird sour wheat and some malt. Flavour was quite sour, crisp and sharp, very refreshing. Medium body and carbonation. Very interesting. Finish was medium length and sour. Pretty good but I like a good sour beer.

0.9
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
heemer77 (5104) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - AUG 11, 2004
I hope that this travesty is taken off my local store's shelves. Very bright gold with a medium head. Smells like a green bean casserole. The taste is a funky, sour, rotten orange. Aftertaste is like sharp cheddar cheese.This is dry and almost crisp, like a lambic. However, I find the sourness to be unbalanced with little else to taste in the beer. The bulk of this went down the drain.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
beerbuzzmontreal (3490) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 10, 2004
Pours a golden color with a medium but fugaceous head. Strong and sour aroma of wheat and citrus. The flavor is sour, grassy, sour, fruity (citrus) and sour ! Light body, dry texture, lively carbonation. My first experience of a "straight" berliner weisse, not bad but I guess there are better berliner than this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
FlacoAlto (3810) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - AUG 5, 2004
Pours a lightly hazy yellow-straw color and is topped by a white head and a fairly low level of carbonation. A sour lemony aroma rises up to my nose. There is a hint of complexity in the nose, some herbal grassiness perhaps. This is very dry, and not nearly as sour as I was hoping. It is quite soft up front, but has a sharp sourness in the finish that is reminiscent of fresh lemonade. Though light bodied, there is a certain amount of creamy fullness to this beer. Certainly this is nice and refreshing, but lacks a certain complexity that I like and can be found in Schultheiss’ version.