overall
Serve in Bowl

RATINGS: 750   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.86   EST. CALORIES: 90   ABV: 3%
Light golden in color, extremely sour with a light bodied wheat character.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - NOV 8, 2003
Pale yellow color with a small (quickly diminishing) white head. The aroma was not as strong as I would like...some lemon zest, grassy, and a slight barnyard funk. The flavor was stronger...not as sour as I expected...pure lemon zest, grass, and sour raspberries. Crisp, clean, dry feel. Very satisfying.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
MaBeer1972 (1266) - Taunton, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 8, 2003
Light hazy yellow color, lots of carbonation happening. Thin white head. The flavor is sour, as advertised. Very crisp and refreshing. With the low ABV, this would be excellent on a hot summer day!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - NOV 8, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 5, 2005 Pale yellow, slightly hazy, almost no head. Lemony aroma (sour). Interesting mix of citrus sourness along with cidery notes. Very light hints of wheat. Somewhat complex with a fairly nice balance. Body is light, refreshing, semi-acidic but not as much as a lambic. It seems my palate has eveolved a bit because I certainly liked this more than the last time.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Kinz (3256) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - OCT 29, 2003
Poured clear yellow, very little head. Palate a bit numb from French fries, but there really was virtually no aroma. Maybe some very faint lemon. Flavor was dominated by some grainy wheat, with a light lemon flourish on the end. Not overly sour by any means, I didn't see any need for syrup. Decent, but I need to try some more from this style to be completely objective.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
IslandHaole (1091) - Yokosuka-Shi, Kanagawa-Ken, JAPAN - OCT 24, 2003
A clear straw color with a foamy but quickly fading head. Mild sweet scent, a tart flavor with traces of nuts! The tartness throws my tastebuds out of whack. It isn't what I expected, from a lambic yes, but not a weisse. I don't think I'll try this one again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
DougShoemaker (3147) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 7, 2003
Flowery, grassy aroma, pale yellow, large white head. Mild fruity flavour, light, refreshing, fair.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - SEP 18, 2003
Light clear gold with a big head. Spicy, musky aroma; French toast, bretty, horse blanket (subtle), cinnamon. Flavor is first sweet then developes into a tart and sour finish. Lingering, dry and refreshing. Palate is full of tart and delicous to take small sips of to get all of the tart flavors. As this is my first berliner weisse, I'm impressed. Who would put syrup in these?! The tart is great, now bring on the gueuzes!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Sham (1845) - Seattle, Washington, USA - SEP 17, 2003
Very pale yellow pour with small head. Spicy aroma with some muskiness, hints of cinnamon. Starts out sweet and ends tart like a ginger ale. Very tart and sour finish. Very interesting, very tart, and very enjoyable.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
bob32256 (171) - Jacksonville, Florida, USA - AUG 29, 2003
strong yeast aroma, with perhaps a hint of lemon; pale yellow color; watery feel and taste; I tried it alone first, and the taste was slightly sour but very weak - with syrup, it reminds me of watered-down ginger ale; interesting, but not worth repeating

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
DrnkMcDermott (2779) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - AUG 28, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 17, 2003 33 cL bottle. I can't say I liked what I found. I thought perhaps this bottle had gone south as it was freshness dated for 4/02, but I see by the description that the style is exactly as I experienced. Thin head dwindles to nothing over a pale yellow beer. Spritzy, with a very sour lemonade and grapefruit taste. Sourness overcomes any malts or hop impression. It was worth it to experience the style, but this won't become one of my favorites. I have a second bottle that I'll try with a syrup (or maybe a peach schnapps or Frango liquer?).
Re-sampled, Nov. 15, '03. This time I was prepared with a bottle of raspberry flavoring syrup. Just a little splash made it nice and smooth. Though pinkish, of course, the tartness remaining gave it an edge over most raspberry beers. Probably might even be well matched with a 7-up.