overall
Serve in Bowl

RATINGS: 801   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.86   EST. CALORIES: 90   ABV: 3%
Light golden in color, extremely sour with a light bodied wheat character.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
piscator34 (2046) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - NOV 24, 2004
Light gold and well carbonated with a slightly floral/grapefruity aroma. Very sour citrus flavor with a lactic note and a short finish. Light mouthfeel.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
SG (465) - Valley Center, California, USA - NOV 21, 2004
Very light golden color with amazing lacing. Strange and unique aroma: sour, slightly grainy, a little funky, pretty subtle. The flavor is extremely sour with a noticable wheat presence. Refreshing, complex, but not highly appealing to me. Effervescent and light on the tongue. Watery. Would be enjoyable on a hot summer day.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
ElGaucho (2282) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - NOV 18, 2004
After choking down a Schultheiss Berliner Weiss a couple of years ago while in Germany, I never thought I’d find myself drinking another beer in this style. But, it was featured in the Belgian beer tasting event I attended last night (yeah, I know; what’s a German beer doing at a Belgian beer tasting?). Anyway, this wasn’t nearly as overtly tart as the Schultheiss. But, strangely enough, I found myself not as put off by the style as I was the first time. I see this style as being somewhat related to non-fruit lambics, which have their time and place. Lager aroma. Lively visible carbonation. Pale yellow with a white head and excellent lace. Sour mouthfeel with an aftertaste not unlike MGD. Not as god awful and I suspected. Still not much of a drinker.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
hellomynameis (876) - Mayer, Minnesota, USA - NOV 18, 2004
Reminds me of spakling water. A bit of sour citrus in the aftertaste. It has a pretty mild carbonated flavour with a tart finsih. I’m pretty impartial to this beer, I can understand why most wouldn’t like it, but it was very interesting to try.

1.4
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
Emil (6065) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - NOV 10, 2004
Light hazy golden color, light sour yeasty aroma, heavy sour taste, light body, sour finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
JK (4843) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - NOV 5, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 5, 2007 Aroma of citrus and hops. Smells like a high quality pilsner, and looks like one as well. There are three flavors. The first is very light citrus. The next is sour, and the finish is a heavy with yeast. Not nearly as sour as I expected, and not even close to a gueze. Aftertaste of baguette. Light palate. I should be drinking this on a hot day in the summer, but at the price of this beer I won’t buy it again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Jedsbrew (465) - Rhineland, Missouri, USA - OCT 18, 2004
Light golden color with a touch of chill haze, minimal fizzy head and weak carbonation. Aroma of malt, wheaty, reminded me of a box of cereal or dry catfood. Light bodied, twangy mouth puckering sourness that passes quickly, lemon, sour apples, seltzerish with a short finish. Never drank anything quite like this-I liked it but I can see how some might not. Came in a stubby 11oz bottle and was pricy-13+ a 6pk.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jine (896) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - OCT 13, 2004
This is VERY sour. You cannot like this style if you can’t handle the sour. Personally there was something in the sourness that I found appealing, I love weizens and am intrigued by this berliner variety. Good stuff

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
beerhugger (542) - Oshawa, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 9, 2004
Slightly hazy pale gold. Seemed kinda barnyard skunky at first but then I got some sour apples too. Quite tart and sour without much complexity I could discern - some citrus and sour apples. Crisp and bubbly, it finished pretty clean. My first Berliner Weisse that I can remember and had after a truly spectacular Flemish Sour Ale so perhaps that is playing a part in te rating....

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
dortmunder (961) - Herdecke, GERMANY - SEP 23, 2004
Cloudy pale golden colour with a green touch. Sour, unripe apple aroma. Taste is of course sour, very citric, slightly yeasty and that unripe apple thing going on. Not as good as Schultheiss, but not far behind it.