RATINGS: 194   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.86/5   IBU: 25   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
The most complex of our beer line-up with a combination of five different malts and four different hop varieties. Buttface has the broadest popular appeal of our beers. It has a high malt character and lack of evident hops. This surprises people because it is easy to drink, but has a higher alcohol content than what is perceived.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
JoeM500 (1908) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - NOV 22, 2004
On tap at RAM, Schaumburg,IL: Darker almond color with a thin fizzy head that disappears almost as soon as she puts the pint down. Graininess, as far as malts go, some bitter hints at the finish, but overall it’s a bland and nearly tatsteless beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
OldMrCrow (2214) - Seattle, Washington, USA - SEP 24, 2006
Tap at the Ram in Seattle.

A great amber ale is a great thing, but a decent amber ale is pretty boring -- and this isn’t even a decent amber ale. On the positive side, aroma and flavor are straight ahead and not particularly offensive. The mouthfeel....well, let’s just say that while one is tempted to mispronounce this beer as "butterface amber," that suggests a better body than the amber can provide.

Ultimately, it’s just staggeringly boring, so much so that any of the other middle-of-the-road PacNW ambers seem interesting by comparison.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
jazz88 (2628) - San Francisco, California, USA - NOV 13, 2006
Tap @ Brewpub with Nuffield. Rating from 2004 notes. Light golden color. Smooth with a fair nice hop presence.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
Ernest (6906) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - NOV 4, 2002
Draught. Body is medium amber. Aroma is lightly malty (caramel), trace hops (flowers). Flavor is moderately sweet, lightly acidic, lightly bitter. Finish is lightly sweet, lightly acidic, lightly bitter. Light to medium body, watery texture, lively carbonation.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
hollardustin (327) - Indiana, USA - OCT 26, 2011
Pours medium amber with small white head. Aroma is sweet caramel. Taste is malty with caramel and a hint of roasted malt. Not bad.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
kp (10884) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - SEP 1, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 8, 2009
Date: July 20, 2007
Mode: Draft
Source: Brewpub, Indianapolis
Appearance: hazy amber, wispy off white head
Aroma: sweet dark caramel malt aroma with very light earthy hops
Flavor: big sweet caramel malt flavor, nice bready quality, light bitterness offers complexity rather than bitterness

Aroma: 6/10; Appearance: 6/10; Flavor: 6/10; Palate: 6/10; Overall: 11/20
Rating: 2.9/5.0
Drinkability: 7/10
Score: *4

Name: Buttface Amber Ale
Date: February 22, 2009
Mode: Draft
Source: Brewpub, Arlington
Appearance: hazy amber, headless
Aroma: dry caramel malt aroma, light earthyness, a hint of sweaty butt
Flavor: rich caramel malt flavor, lots of earthy bitterness, a touch of astrengent nastyness that takes a very tart turn

Aroma: 3/10; Appearance: 5/10; Flavor: 2/10; Palate: 5/10; Overall: 4/20
Rating: 1.5/5.0
Drinkability: 2/10
Score: 4

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 4/20
vector (163) - Dallas, Texas, USA - AUG 8, 2003
Poured a medium reddish brown with a slightly off white head. Aroma was sour and slightly buttery(?). Flavor was very malty and very tangy, almost like vinegar. The flavor struck me as very unbalanced, overwhelmingly cidery. Maybe my bottle had gone bad? This beer became undrinkable about halfway through and became a sour feast for the drain. I'll try this again in the future and rerate if my rated sample was indeed spoiled.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
DigitalMan (193) - Idaho, USA - JUN 20, 2009
Had this on tap at their restaurant. Pretty bland and uninteresting in all ways. Pass. Food was not very good, either.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
jrallen34 (3500) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 8, 2011
draft... appropriate name for a horrible beer... ugly muddy amber, smells and tastes horrible

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
EValP (30) - Colorado, USA - NOV 13, 2006
On tap at C.B & Potts Highlands Ranch. First of all, it was served in a frosty mug, second, the beer was ice cold. I was told it was the best beer they had, @%#$!# it wasn’t. I did not have my rate sheets on me but I fail to imagine why I would have even bothered to rate this beer but I still feel the need to post. This was a clear copper color. Aroma was almost non existent but maybe it is because the beer was served near freezing. Taste was a bit watery but I might have been able to make out the toasty caramel that everyone else seemed to have gotten. Really there seemed to be nothing to this beer and I was bored with it.

It got even worse past the frosty mug incident. I asked for another and the waitress opinion. She told me I should order the Hefeweizen, pronounced “heffer wisen” or the special, an Oktoberfest so I did, again, not that good and this time it came in a frosted shaker? What’s going, I thought I was in a brewpub. I returned the beer and asked for the check. I don’t think I will go back to a C.B. & Potts, at least not for the beer. Doubt I will be looking to try another of the Big Horn Brewing Companies beers anytime soon.