Big Horn Mango Pilsner

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 3.13/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3   SEASONAL: Special   ABV: -

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Brigadier (2990) - Clevelandish, Ohio, USA - JAN 31, 2007
Growler from Wheeling location

I picked this up for $4.50 at the brewpub in Wheeling on a whim. If nothing else, I get another growler out of it that I can take to places for a fill. The fact that I got 64 ounces of beer is incidental. As it turns out it was not nearly as bad as I was expecting. While it definitely falls in the novelty camp, it is not in the same category as some of the Viking beers available in Wisconsin. I would not recommend spending money on it, but it was an interesting experiment.

Aroma / Appearance - The body had a champagne color with a trace amount of carbonation and a weak head. It should come as no suprise that the nose was mangos and peach with a hint of wheat in the background. This is definitely more of a fruit beer than a pilsener.

Flavor / Palate - I was suprised by the relative complexity of this beer. There is certainly a strong mango presence but also some semisweet peachiness. The pilsener base makes an appearance towards the end faintly but is unable to overpower the sheer fruitiness of it all. This is more like a wine cooler than a beer but I enjoyed it anyways. On the other hand, I doubt I would ever get it again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
auerbrau (3177) - Peace Dale, Rhode Island, USA - JAN 27, 2007
From a growler. Light nip of dried mango skin aroma and faint flow of soured Mango Lassi. Wafts of tangy malt. Clear goldish pour, with rim of whitish. Flavor is a mellow malt sugar, laced with hints of passionfruit. Long draw with some grassiness. Smacks clean over light bubbly hints. Not as bad as I would have possibly predicted. Thanks Brigadier!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
hezron (610) - Viroqua, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 25, 2007
Fruity mango aroma, fairly light. The fruit is a "candy-like" fruit, fairly sweet. Sweet and fruity initially, the mango really jumps out at you then it has a nice grassy/grainy finish. Surprising amount of character for a brewpub pilsner. Perhaps a little too sweet. Light golden with a tiny hint of orange and a thin, white head. Thin, watery body but a bit of creaminess in the finish. Thanks to Brigadier for sharing.