Big River Grille Southern Flyer Light Lager
     click to upload
overall

RATINGS: 128   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.3   EST. CALORIES: 108   ABV: 3.61%
The lightest beer in color and body in our lineup. Southern Flyer Light Lager is a refreshing beer and a true American lager. Liberty hops add to its all-around great taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
arrogantb (1402) - Denver, Colorado, USA - FEB 13, 2009
Yellow with a distinct lager-type smell. Crisp mouthfeel with an earthy flavor and a slight bit of hoppiness involved in the mix. Decent but nothing to go out of your way in order to sample. A basic fizzy yellow lager which can have its time and place but not usually on my dime. Serving type: on-tap Reviewed on: 02-13-2009 23:25:20

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
markwise (4467) - North of Tampa, Florida, USA - JAN 4, 2012
Draft at Seven Bridges Jacksonville. Pours a clear yellow with a white head. Nose is light malt, grain, a hint of esters, and a hint of yeast. Flavor is similar- grainy for a pale lager, light malt, sweet, and a hint of yeast. This is one of the first pale lagers I actually ordered, and did not just come with a paddle. Nice light lager- enjoyable for what it is.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
badlizard (5538) - Berkeley, California, USA - JUL 27, 2010
Clear yellow with a fizzy white head. Multigrain bread aroma and a malty doughy taste with a smooth vanilla finish. Really good for the style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Sledutah (4684) - Utah, USA - FEB 26, 2013
On tap at Seven Bridges, RBWG
Appearance: Clear light golden with a medium sized white head
Aroma and flavors of light malts, honey and grainy
OK

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
NYHarvey (2153) - New York, New York, USA - JUN 17, 2007
Draft in Jacksonville. Nice toasted grain aroma, sweet malt notes. The body is a transparent yellow/gold color and holds a diminishing, wispy white head. Fore holds malt/grain and light toasted cereal/malt notes. Lightly hopped. It really is smooth and easy to drink just as I assume they were aiming for.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
SudsMcDuff (5825) - .....Manchester United.........., Texas, USA - JAN 3, 2010
its hail kyout .. . nice easy going brew .. . decent white lacing . . low medium head . . light corn and empty pooh honey pot .. . light yet some light character to make it quaffable .. had on draft at Disney location... lots o fat on da plate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
belgianhomebrew (646) - Acworth, Georgia, USA - SEP 1, 2002
Very little aroma. Slight maltiness w a touch of hops.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
ElGaucho (2207) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - JAN 10, 2005
No aroma. Pale yellow in color. Little head. Good lace. Diacetyl notes. Could pass for a blonde ale. Not bad. Fresh. Crisp. Light hops. No flaws.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jzzbassman (1516) - New Albany, Mississippi, USA - JUL 6, 2008
Draft at Downtown Chattanooga location: At least today this was far superior to the pils unless they called them by the wrong name. One of the few of the style I have ever had with actual flavor. No flaws, bready, and a nice floral hop finish. The biggest surprise of the the day for me.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - NOV 27, 2008
During the five-plus years that I lived in Jacksonville, FL I only visited the Seven Bridges Brewpub once. I had one beer and I don’t even remember what it was so I have no way of knowing if they even brew it any more. Of course, I wasn’t anywhere near the beer geek that I am now, so what purpose would it have served me then to go and taste beers when such a thing wasn’t any part of my reality. Now is a totally different story though, and during my most recent trip to Jacksonville a few weeks ago, I made sure to make it to Seven Bridges and take a flight through their beers, tasting-pad in hand.
By now we should all be well aware of my critical lager palate and unfortunate disdain for bad lagers. I’ve had a few good lagers of various styles in the last couple years, but have yet to have any enjoyable light lager experience. So what should my first beer during my Seven Bridges flight be but their Southern Flyer Light Lager. Raising my tasting glass, I prepare to begin my journey of, ultimately, six different beers.
My Southern Flyer was appropriately a very light dried hay color. There is absolutely no discernable head before and after a couple small swirls to stir things up a bit while at the same time releasing her trapped nose. Surprisingly, her nose is replete with lemon zest and fresh grassy hops. This could actually be a good portend of things to come. My first quaff is clean, crisp, and bright with lemon and summer grass which fades into a sweet toasted malt finish. Adding yet another dimension to this light lager is the addition of a light chewy mouthfeel reminiscent of chewing on a piece of hay or straw. Soft and delicate, cereal grains add a solid and lightly sweet backdrop to Southern Flyer’s prominent citric lemon and grassy palate. As far as sample glasses go, she was over almost as soon as she began, but I was pleasantly pleased with the Southern Flyer Light Lager. A clean finish with lingering faint grassy esters concludes my very first good light lager experience.
I must say, this light lager had a more balanced body and colorful palate then some standard lagers I have tried. One thing about lagers and lighter beers is that it is nigh impossible to hide any mistake no matter how small. I would have to say that Seven Bridges has with their Southern Flyer the quintessential light lager which many only dream of accomplishing. A brew well done.