Big Rock Chop House Bourbon Russian Imperial Stout
     click to upload
overall

RATINGS: 110   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
hellomynameis (876) - Mayer, Minnesota, USA - AUG 26, 2009
Super dark and murky with barely even a hint of head. Chocolate dissolved in alcohol with some dark over ripe fruit qualities in the nose. Semi still with chocolate, vanilla and some roast in the flavour. Has a slight oxidized feel to it. Doesn’t seem to hide the booze well, but it doesn’t ever become overbearing, just want to let you knwo that it’s a big beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Sparky (2244) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - JUN 13, 2009
2005 vintage bottle courtesy of fiver29 – thanks John! Pours crude oil black with a one finger mocha colored head that faded quickly. The nose is dark fruit, rich chocolate and bourbon. The taste is milk chocolate, oaky vanilla, ashy cocoa, roasted malt and chocolate flavored coffee with a nice boozy bourbon finish. Full creamy mouthfeel. A nice bourbony BA stout. Thanks again John!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Fin (9457) - Merton, Oxfordshire, England, Oxfordshire, ENGLAND - MAR 24, 2009
Bottle at Craig’s bit tasting, Edinburgh, 21-03-09 many thanks Craig. Also a big thanks to Miketd for passing on this little gem, cheers mate. The nose on this was massive and totally bourbon, so strong was it that it did sort of take me back to one or two bad moments drinking whisky in my late teens and so that was a rather unpleasant memory but for those who like bourbon this is the one for you. Poured very black, I don’t think I noted a head before I started sipping. Bourbon, roasty malts and some bitter chocolate in the mouth, it takes no prisoners this one and if you like a beer thats more Joe Bugner than Sugar Ray Leonard then this is the bruiser for you. I thought it was fine but found it hard to get past the impact the nose had, but many thanks to Mike for this rareity. A5 A4 F6 P3 OV13 3.1

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
cgarvieuk (21037) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - MAR 21, 2009
Bottle at home ... with Fin and thanks to Fin ... with additional thanks to Miketd for this rarity ... Deep black ... Oh my THe Bourbon is way tooo much up front in nose ... ive not tasted yet... but the bourbon has me scared ...flour as expected has the bourbon clearly to the front ... bit to rought in its alcohol ... the nice stout and roast malt charcater are there but are being trampled upon by the Bourbon.. I think this is a beer that might well be much better on the Bourbon barrels 2nd use. Bottled 5-6-08 after 2 years in Bourbon barrel acording to label.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
gunhaver (1030) - Tampa, Florida, USA - MAR 19, 2009
C&PLYFOTD: Bottle. Reddish black pour, creamy white head and thick lacing. Nose is solid, with smoke and peat, slight chocolate, dark fruits. Roast toast and dry caramel flavors, coffee, chocolate, some toffee, too. Very rich. Full-bodied, delicious, and sticky on the palate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - FEB 24, 2009
2005 vintage. Bottle 4/8? Poured almost black with a copper edge and brown legs. The aroma had notes of dough, vanilla, chocolate, cookies, alcohol and glue. Roasted malt flavor with vanilla, alcohol, brown sugar and bourbon. Peppery alcohol finish. Full bodied with a sticky mouthfeel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Brigadier (3520) - Chagrin Falls, Ohio, USA - FEB 21, 2009
Tasting at miketd’s
Thanks to flandersned for bringing this down from Michigan. I had never heard of Big Rock before this but based on this sample it seems like a promising brewery/brewpub operation. If I ever find myself in that neck of the woods I may have to make a stop.

Aroma / Appearance - The dirty off white head matched the lacing sticking to the sides of the small snifter. Underneath a black oily body swirled slowly. Bourbon, vanilla, fresh dough, smoke, coffee, anise, and cherry formed a rich composition that pleases the nose. Nothing was lacking here.

Flavor / Palate - Dry and oaky the bourbon and vanilla take center stage. Next comes the coffee, chocolate, and other imperial flavors. One weakeness is that this one feels a little unbalanced - it is almost the peer of Bourbon County Stout in that regard. Still I would not mind drinking more of this if the chance arose.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
fiver29 (1036) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - FEB 8, 2009
2005 bottle. Thanks to Steve for sharing this one! Pours pitch black with a thin tan head. It dissipates quickly. The nose on this is huge bourbon notes with a lot of chocolate. I also detect some vanilla. Flavor was upfront in your face bourbon with chocolate and vanilla notes melding together on the finish. The mouthfeel on this is so dense I felt like I was chewing on a piece of fudge and driking a glass of bourbon at the same time. This was simply amazing. I didn’t think anything could top the bourbon a bouron county stout until I had this. I like over the top bourbon beers and I found my new favorite. Wow.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
masonjer (609) - Holt, Michigan, USA - JAN 20, 2009
Bottle from 2005. Poured super thick and black with a small dark tan head. Smelled huge, could smell it without even lifting it to my nose. Big bourbon as well as vanilla notes. Taste was big and rich as well, more bourbon, dense chocolate, vanilla and maybe some very dark fruit. Great lasting finish. I thought this stuff was really good. One of the best barrel aged stouts I have had in awhile. Big Rock keeps on impressing me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
lb4lb (2584) - Austin, Texas, USA - JAN 2, 2009
Bottle from miketd. Thanks man! Either I was in love with everything this night, or this was one of my new favorite beers. Pours a dark black color with almost no head. Smell is vanilla, bourbon and chocolate. Taste is rich, chewy chocolatey fudge that is moderately bittered to balance and there is an overall denseness to the flavor. Very soft carbonation but still there and just enough. Slight bit warming from the alcohol but none shows in the flavor. I thought this was fantastic!