Big Rock Chop House Bourbon Russian Imperial Stout
     click to upload
overall

RATINGS: 104   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Brigadier (3095) - Clevelandish, Ohio, USA - FEB 21, 2009
Tasting at miketd’s
Thanks to flandersned for bringing this down from Michigan. I had never heard of Big Rock before this but based on this sample it seems like a promising brewery/brewpub operation. If I ever find myself in that neck of the woods I may have to make a stop.

Aroma / Appearance - The dirty off white head matched the lacing sticking to the sides of the small snifter. Underneath a black oily body swirled slowly. Bourbon, vanilla, fresh dough, smoke, coffee, anise, and cherry formed a rich composition that pleases the nose. Nothing was lacking here.

Flavor / Palate - Dry and oaky the bourbon and vanilla take center stage. Next comes the coffee, chocolate, and other imperial flavors. One weakeness is that this one feels a little unbalanced - it is almost the peer of Bourbon County Stout in that regard. Still I would not mind drinking more of this if the chance arose.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
fiver29 (1036) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - FEB 8, 2009
2005 bottle. Thanks to Steve for sharing this one! Pours pitch black with a thin tan head. It dissipates quickly. The nose on this is huge bourbon notes with a lot of chocolate. I also detect some vanilla. Flavor was upfront in your face bourbon with chocolate and vanilla notes melding together on the finish. The mouthfeel on this is so dense I felt like I was chewing on a piece of fudge and driking a glass of bourbon at the same time. This was simply amazing. I didn’t think anything could top the bourbon a bouron county stout until I had this. I like over the top bourbon beers and I found my new favorite. Wow.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
masonjer (609) - Holt, Michigan, USA - JAN 20, 2009
Bottle from 2005. Poured super thick and black with a small dark tan head. Smelled huge, could smell it without even lifting it to my nose. Big bourbon as well as vanilla notes. Taste was big and rich as well, more bourbon, dense chocolate, vanilla and maybe some very dark fruit. Great lasting finish. I thought this stuff was really good. One of the best barrel aged stouts I have had in awhile. Big Rock keeps on impressing me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
lb4lb (2555) - Austin, Texas, USA - JAN 2, 2009
Bottle from miketd. Thanks man! Either I was in love with everything this night, or this was one of my new favorite beers. Pours a dark black color with almost no head. Smell is vanilla, bourbon and chocolate. Taste is rich, chewy chocolatey fudge that is moderately bittered to balance and there is an overall denseness to the flavor. Very soft carbonation but still there and just enough. Slight bit warming from the alcohol but none shows in the flavor. I thought this was fantastic!

pantanap (3366) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 31, 2008
12oz bottle from yet another generous soul at kuhnhenns winter party... pours very close to black with a moderate tan head. nuthin much to it more than that... aroma was huge on rich chocolate and an assertive degree of bourbon and woodiness...flavors of rich chocolate flavor, heavy wood, bourbon, and vanilla flavors. thick and sticky mouthfeel. still pretty carbonated and perhaps a little too lively for me. all in all, this might be able to rival bourbon county stout but not just quite yet.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Odeed (1787) - Bakersfield, California, USA - OCT 20, 2008
black as night wit no head.heavy bourbon and alcohol aroma.along with some dark fruit and roasted malt.flavor is heavy on the bourbon and oak.followed by a sherry-like finish.this ones a bit over ba’d.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
beerbill (3540) - Laurel, New York, USA - AUG 2, 2008
Bottle shared at Friday’s gathering. I unfortunately don’t remember who brought it. Pours black with very little head. Strong aroma of liquor, heavy alcohol vapors with some malt detected as well. The flavor is in a word, boozey. Strong alcohol which masks anything else that might be going on with this beer. Heavy duty alcohol burn at the finish. A very disappointing beer in a style I enjoy very much.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
notalush (5004) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUL 28, 2008
Thanks to mibirder for this bottle - thick, viscous black beer - smells strongly of bourbon and thick chocolate and roasted malt - low carbonation - thick, slick yet sticky mouthfeel - strongly boozy, with loads of oak and some chocolate character - some red wine-ish tannins add some complexity, but there is way too much bourbon and alcohol - too much time in the barrel, I think.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
fredandboboflo (1570) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 26, 2008
Bottle, something about it was 2005. BOURBON. Warming. Therein lies the extent of my notes, and I stand by them. Again, BOURBON. I did not expect to see this beer rated so high...

1.2
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
LilBeerDoctor (3505) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 26, 2008
Bottle shared by notalush (I think). Pours black with a dark tan/reddish head that dissipates into a small ring. The appearance was definitely the best thing about this beer. Aroma is VERY strong of bourbon. The flavor is, not surprisingly, BOURBON. Too much bourbon. Sweet, icky, nasty. A disgusting beer (unless you like bourbon, of course). Drainpour.