overall

RATINGS: 376   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
Powder Hound is our Winter Ale, and since it is our own creation we call it a Northern Rockies Strong Ale. Powder Hound satisfies, with the fine hand selected British hops fully complimenting the smooth malt notes. After a day on the ice or in the snow, enjoy a Powder Hound Winter Ale. Available November through March. ABV varies from 6.0% to 7.5%

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
PorterPounder (5707) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - AUG 12, 2002
Bit of a funky aroma upon pouring. a little too sweet for my liking - but I’m sure if it was winter in Montana I would want something chewy like this.

JK (4614) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - JAN 27, 2005
Malt and caramel aromas. Very dark orange with a head that lasts. More malt and caramel in the taste. Seems like an English strong without being ruined by alcohol flavors.

crizay (1050) - Brook Park, Ohio, USA - SEP 29, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 4, 2006 Thank to Degarth. Pours a dark amber almost brown. Bigtime crystal malt in this one, very sweet caramel and brown sugar come through, followed big by citrusy hops, not bad, but also not very christmas like, good beer just not really my style, too hoppy.

lweiberg (117) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - APR 28, 2007
Felt thin, then again for as cheap as this was I didn’t expect it to bee to thick or pack too much of a buzz. Good but not outstanding. I’ve heard so much about Moose Drool that I figured I’d try a single of this since it was available at Blue Max but I can’t see myself trying any Big Sky again since they tend to offer only middle-of-the-road stuff.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
baobubba (455) - Starkville, Mississippi, USA - DEC 7, 2002
Hoppy aroma backed by caramelized sugar, dough, and fresh malts. Sweet flavor. Pretty drinkable. Your swill drinking brother might like this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Crit (3394) - Surrey, British Columbia, CANADA - JAN 6, 2004
Clear red??? Mine was cloudy brown, with small tan head. Good malt nose promises more than the brew delivers. Light sweet malt flavor with very mild hopping

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
robertsreality (2460) - Minnesota, USA - JUN 21, 2004
Light Brown Coloring. Small Head. Noticably Sweet. Some Malt. Not a bad one from Big Sky

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
BigBastard (668) - L.A., California, USA - FEB 13, 2006
Bought this because it was on clearance at BevMo. Didn’t smell like much, sort of chocalatey I guess. Flavor is of caramel, toffee maybe some chocaolate, and a sort of musty, earthy flavor. Not bad, gives a nice warmth to the belly.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
truegen (167) - Puyallup, Washington, USA - NOV 13, 2006
Bottle from first batch into my local market. Pleasing clear red-amber color. The head is active, but quickly fades without much lacing. The foundation in this beer has a lot of potential, malt and hop-wise. It just needs more power for a winter brew. Complete this recipe, Big Sky--I double-dog dare ya.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
mikebeertaster (114) - washougal, Washington, USA - DEC 25, 2006
If you expecting a real English Strong Ale make sure you pass this one by. I thought the beer was more fruity tasting than bitter. I didn’t mind the beer, but maybe it would play better in the summer. Not bad, just not real good either.