overall
Brewed by Birrificio del Ducato
Style: Imperial Stout
Roncole Verdi di Busseto (PR), Italy

RATINGS: 474   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Top fermented beer which is subjected to a secondary fermentation in bottle. It is deep dark ebony in color with a cappuccino head. The nose has aromas of chocolate, licorice, coffee grounds and tobacco with alcohol nuances. Its full bodied, long lasting, smooth and dry mouth is followed by a surprisingly hot finish that breaks its initial fullness and makes you crave more!

It is suitable for aging.

Dedicating one of our beers to Giuseppe Verdi was a must since our microbrewery is located in Roncole Verdi, the composerís birth place. When I returned from my first visit to New York City I decided to create a beer that would be superior in elegance, balance and drinkability to all those stout varieties I had overseas. Although the initial recipe has changed, the very first batch matched my vision. Its uniqueness lays in the use of chili pepper which combines very well with the beerís chocolate aroma. The hot finish also lightens its full bodied mouth by awakening the palate.

Verdi Imperial Stout is the first Italian craft beer to have ever been crowned with a gold medal in its category at an International beer contest. In 2008 it ranked first at The European Beer Star in the Imperial Stout category.
20į

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Bartas (37) - LITHUANIA - JUN 28, 2013
It is almost perfect. Actually it is. Very nice and right imperial stout. ? would like to bring it from Italy to Lithuania. Congratulations for Ducato

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
GiovanniGino (2) - Collingswood, New Jersey, USA - DEC 1, 2011 does not count
My favorite beer of all time..thus far! I loved this so much at first, I order 16 of them from my local shop!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
davidm (1942) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - DEC 20, 2013
Great beer. Chili blends very well with the chocolate/liquorice/vanilla flavours. Aroma is perfect.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
drpimento (2293) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 30, 2010
Yummmmmm-OOOOOOOOO!!!!! Right up there with the very best Italian brews. Poured with a huge, brown, foamy, frothy, thick, sudsy head and lots of lace. Color is as black as my heart and just as opaque too. Aroma is malt, roast, coffee, cocoa, bare hint of chili pepper, and hint of dark, ripe fruit. Flavor is the same with the chili pepper coming out briefly at the end and then fading again. Body is mouth filling and carbonation is perfect for the style. Finish is like flavor. Delicious beer. I want more!! and I donít have any. wah.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
killsilvio (10) - firenze, ITALY - SEP 29, 2013
Bottle, @beer house club, corso Tintori 34, Florence. Fantastic imperial stout with hot peppers, the aroma is malt, roast, coffee, cocoa, a hint of chili pepper, and some liquorice.Flavor is the same but with more chocolate, and the chili pepper comes out at the end, with a long and persistent aftertast. ALso the colour is very nice, with a creamy foam that reminds the cappuccino. One of the best stouts I ever had in my life

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
qt_lau (1) - Greater London, ENGLAND - JUN 9, 2014 does not count
I had it in Rome. It was the beer that kindled my interest in craft beer. By far itís my favourite craft beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ricksivrea (11) - Ivrea, ITALY - OCT 11, 2008
a very good bier, strong, but not too hard to drink. Great flavours of cocoa, coffee and smoke, perfect on a roast meat.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
volbeerman (20) - Madison, Tennessee, USA - NOV 21, 2012
UPDATED: DEC 27, 2012 Fantastically spicy stout. Pours dark with little head, the flavor is indicative of the region from whence it comes. Spiciness adds an added excitement to this beer, truly an enjoyable experience, I wish it were more readily available, because I would be purchasing it far more often.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DCJack (181) - Alabama, USA - SEP 30, 2009
On Tap at Two Amyís in DC. Intriguing aroma. Canít quite place it. Want to name it. Smells like something but I canít quite place it. The taste in even more intriguing. Wispy and seductive. Too complex to eat with food. It demands to be on its own. I think it must be an herb. Reminds me of absinthe! I finally decide that it must be juniper. What a pungent flavor, nicely buffered with a malty bitter-sweet. Leaves me with a wonderful buzz. Not so much intoxicating as delirious. Truly remarkable

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
stoutchap (416) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 25, 2010
Fantastic Imperial Stout from a land that focuses almost entirely on light-colored weak-bodied "beer". Perhaps I rate this so high b/c it is such a rarity in the Italian context. It pours dark, dark chocolate brown with a thin fizzy cappuccino head. Notes of malt and chocolate and alcohol in the nose. A solid mouthfeel, with a silky smoothness. The alcohol is masked more with the balanced maltiness. Great Imperial Stout! There is yet hope for stout-heads visiting Italy!