overall

RATINGS: 520   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.45   IBU: 20   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
A richly textured and roasty stout with a boost of bitter and charismatic flavor from the addition of fine dutch cocoa in the mash.
Current advertising is 5% ABV

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
jocmaff (1) - California, USA - APR 4, 2002 does not count
This is by far the best brew I have ever had. I absolutely love this beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Bama_Hog (2) - USA - JUN 19, 2010 does not count
This is by far one of the top sweet stouts I have ever come across. RICH, CREAMY AND surprisingly not over filling. Grab one if you can find one.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Krausen (102) - USA - JAN 30, 2005
Finally a brewery nailed the chocolate stout! I wonder, is this the same beer that has been reviewed? My label was different and it was organic. Regardless, great chocolate flavor, nice balance of malt and roast and a clean bitterness. Better than the Sam Chocolate bock and less than half the price!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
dwyerpg (4508) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - NOV 15, 2006
Smells good, of chocolate. A nice brown-black color with solid tan head. The flavor is very good. Not heavy, with a lot of freshness and some good hops. The chocolate is not bitter. I was very pleased with this beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
leah2974 (445) - Georgia, USA - OCT 4, 2011
Delicious beer. Dark chocolate, balanced malts, full flavored. Not heavy.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
YogiBeera (2450) - New Jersey, USA - JUN 22, 2002
Chocolaty but more coffee aroma. Black as black can be with no head. Fruity and chocolaty but not bitter. Melts on the tongue! A really wonderful stout! Thank you so much Jenn!!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
BeeriedEyed (211) - USA - DEC 31, 2010
Very delicious stout beer. It smells and tastes very smokey. More so than other stouts. This beer definitely has character.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
imrichbeeeatch (16) - USA - JAN 16, 2006
Where to start? 22oz. bottle poured into pint glass. Deep black color, like motor oil, only not as thick. Nice creamy, frothy head. Aroma exploding with chocolate and roasted malts. Like a nice double mocha from my favorite coffee shop (Tiny’s). As soon as I put the glass up to my mouth, it and my nose are filled with chocolate. But not dark chocolate, rich coco powder. One part Nestle Quick, one part Godiva. Full chewy body, mouth-coating feeling is wiped clean be a balanced carbonation level. This beer kept it’s flavor in my mouth for for a long time after each drink. It was a rich flavor of a dark chocolate truffle rolled in coco powder, then washed down with a shot of esspresso. Highly recommend this beer. Lost a point due to the fact that there were some chunks floating in my glass after the pour. Wow, what a beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hopscotch (8893) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - JUL 11, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 5, 2003 This beer rocks. The commercial description above is accurate, so I won't be redundant. However, I will say that this beer is pitch black with a tan head, chocolately and rich. Not sweet. Hopped nicely... lightly. Enjoy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - MAR 31, 2002
The Easter Bunny left a few of these in my basket, because I’ve been a good boy this year. Seriously, this came in my beer of the month shipment last week, and I saved em for today. This brew pours like 10W40. It is a dark muddy black. The generous rocky brown head left big hunks of foam on the side of my glass, and lasted to my last swallow. The bold nose speaks of toasted grain, caramel, drk chocolate, strong coffee, and cookies. Perfume and flowers, earth, smoke and alcohol provide balance. The rich toasty chocolate flavor is very sweet and flowery. It is slightly unbalanced but solid. The light alcoholic finish is average to long. The full syrupy chewy palate matches the taste and has lovely soft carbonation. Thanks Bison Brewing for making my Easter Happy!