BJís Golden Monk
     click to upload

RATINGS: 2   MEAN: 3.75/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.3   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
A golden colored belgian tripel brewed as a special beer for the summer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Bartzilla (534) - La Mesa, California, USA - JUL 30, 2006
This was a nice surprise as Iíve often been let down by chain-joint offerings. The waitress descibed it as "very malty" leading me to believe I was in for an abbey style, but to my surprise it was golden, slightly sweet and and a pungent, dry finish. This should be on their permanent roatation as it would make me come back more often. I had a baked potato that was the size of a nerf football that was smothered in cheese and blackened chicken. So, yeah, it was a good night. The monk was the compliment to the evening.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Naven (1000) - Poway, California, USA - JUL 26, 2006
At BJís, La Mesa, CA. Well, as I have said in the past, I like BJís. Everytime I go in to the brewpub, I immediately ask them what their "special brew" is. Today, it was the Golden Monkey. Now, one thing about BJís.......the beer is good, but for the most part, it is a restaurant and the wait staff knows next to nothing about beer. The bartender proceeded to tell me that the Golden Monkey was a Belgian Triple "Trappist" beer.....Uh, ok......Then, he proceeded to pour it in a ice cold pint glass. Still, that aside, it was a pretty damn good beer. Strong smell of banana and clove, very yeasty. The stuff was not exactly a perfect Belgian.......it tasted a little off......but, it was fresh, very fresh, and tasted quite good. I would totally buy this one again.