BJ’s Imperor Imperial IPA
     click to upload

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 4.1/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.19   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
bitter (1136) - Henderson, Nevada, USA - MAY 18, 2005
had a sample of this as my first beer at last weekends barleys beer festival....im not a huge fan of bjs beers although they are palatable. this one was probably the best beer i have to date of theirs. however still this cloying aftertaste of astringent cleaners or extracts. huge hope character dominating here with a slight malty bed to lie on, a bit sweet in the palate as well. not much co2. i definately didnt feel like it was way too hoppy for me as the other rates state. lets get real this cant hold a candle to the likes of a stone ipa, bear republic , etc. but still good.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bigbeersrule (113) - USA - APR 22, 2005
The beer I had was brewed in Chandler, Arizona. This was the biggest double IPA I have ever had. It had something like 150 IBU’s of hop bitterness in it. Not at all balanced because of the hop overload and not a beer you could drink everyday but an outstanding job aty creating what I think has to be the worlds hoppiest beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - SEP 6, 2004
Well, I thought I’d never say this but I’ve found a beer that is “almost” to “hopped up” for me, it’s a taste bud numbing 147 IBU’s and 8 percent ABV, had it on tap at Papago Brewing this weekend.

The beer fresh from the top sets in the glass a nebulous amber to burnished copper color with a statuesque creamy light tan head that after its erosion leaves a thick and sticky coat of lace that welds itself to the glass. Nose is unbelievably light in floral aromas, sweet malt, and citrus crisp and fresh, a real treat for both the olfactory and ocular senses, start is sweet and delightfully, malted, the top is moderate in feel to the palate. Finish is delectable in its acidity, then “BLAM, ZAP, POW, ZOWIE geez Batman, the hops slap your taste buds to life, then strangle them numb, and then leaves you wondering if you will ever taste anything again. Had a De Dolle Stille Nacht and a Imperial Octoberfest after this, didn’t taste a thing, so what’s a poor guy to do, “Hell Yeah", I had a couple more “Imperor’s”. Damn what a hoot, but trust me most every other normal person in the pub was doing a third Imperor with a topping of two thirds Sonora Burning bird, “Tee Hee” wimps! Lol