BJís Summertime Saison
     click to upload

Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 4   MEAN: 3.3/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.14   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Ernest (6164) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - NOV 3, 2006
Multiple samples, GABF 2006. Head is fully diminishing. Body is hazy medium yellow. Aroma is lightly malty (bread, cookie), with notes of clove and bubble gum. Flavor is moderately sweet, lightly acidic, lightly bitter. Finish is lightly sweet, lightly acidic, lightly bitter. Light to medium body, watery texture, soft carbonation. Pretty bland.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
dhlesq (233) - Thousand Oaks, California, USA - JUL 5, 2006
Beer Engine/Cask-Conditioned: Huge banana aroma - almost too much - with an overall impression of butter that is turning; intensely funky. Appears a crystal clear, light golden color, with no head whatsoever. Flavor is of overpowering fermenting cantaloupe; maybe a bit too funky. Palate is pretty flat and kind of mushy. Overall, this beer was in very poor condition. I believe my sample was from the end of the cask, and that the cask was past its prime. That being said, I enter this rating, because I do not believe this beer will be available again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Naven (1000) - Poway, California, USA - JUN 25, 2006
I agree with fordest. This is the best beer I have ever had at BJís, and a damn fine ale in itís own right. I have actually grown quite an affection for BJís, in that I think their beer is quality stuff. Granted, they need to get a little more imaginative (How about an IPA guys?), but for what it is, BJís makes quality beers. Plus, they have quite an extensive list of belgian bottles. Now, this stuff, which the waitress kept describing as "summerfest" is actually somewhat similar to a white beer. I actually remember drinking it saying, "whoa, this is better than Hoegaarden" but there is lots of corriander and other spices which make it probably fall into the category of a saison. But, at any rate, itís a fine summer beer, and I could see myself drinking it everyday. Itís on tap right now....go check it out.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
fordest (1964) - Santee/San Diego, California, USA - JUN 16, 2006
Draft at Oxnard BJs. Golden color with a decent white head. Aromas were very earthy and spicey. Flavors were malty with quite a bit of clove and/or corriander. Very tasty. Best BJs beer yet. Even bought my first ever Growler.