RATINGS: 8   MEAN: 3.89/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.39   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
The Double ESB is about enjoying the adventure in adversity. When a tornado destroyed our brewery, we planned to come back twice as strong. Maybe we were too literal. Weighing in at 9.6% ABV, the Double ESB is a malty, malty, hedonistic beer. Even the aroma is deliciously boozy. It is all the familiar notes of the ESB amplified. Itís our version of ambrosia and a fitting celebration of our return.

gururyan's rating

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
gururyan (616) - Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA - JAN 3, 2014
Poured from a bomber, letís talk about that first. Exceptional identity/design for the brewer, love the artwork. Iím also a huge fan of naming a beer what it isóDouble ESB. So already points for presentation. However, as much as I like dipped bottles, I have never had the trouble I have with these three bottles. Holy moly thatís some secure, solid stuff. Once youíre in though, you get a burnt orange pour with a thick, dissipating head that lingers at the end. I purposely spilt some on me to wear as a cologne, thatís what I think of the aroma. Mouthfeel is very smooth and grown up. This tops my previous double ESB favorite, Tallgrassís Oasis. My only downer is the price, $13 a bomber blows my wallet to pieces. Itís worth every penny, donít get me wrong, but it means I canít enjoy it nearly as often as I would like. To sum it up, easily one of my favorite tasting beers, easily my favorite identity, and the fact itís a local brew just sends it over the edge. Well done, well done indeed.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
obguthr (3999) - Staunton, Virginia, USA - NOV 1, 2014
Pencil shavings aroma. Hazy amber, fine floaties, medium head, good la cing. Overripe orange. Full body, warm. Big beer is this an ESB?

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Kinz (3347) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - NOV 1, 2014
Richmond 21st. Medium amber, clear, slight head. Slight caramel and blackberry hop. Rich caramel malts, decent hop backbone. Nice stuff.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jackl (4797) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - NOV 1, 2014
Bottle pour @ the 21st Richmond Gathering. Burnt orange pour with a small head. Nose is full of yeast. Rich wood. Burnt caramel. Red apple. Burnt grass hops. Taste of bear claw adonut. Hot booze. Burnt grass, caramel and orange peel. Very malty and sweet. Hedgerow earthiness. Full body, oily. A bit too much.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
GreatDane1632 (437) - North Dakota, USA - JUL 15, 2014
Poured this bomber into a Prairie Dino Flute -- Pours a heady brilliantly clear golden amber. The head is sticky and lasting. Aroma is Earthy, Butterscotch, Hops, and Booze. Flavor starts sweet immediately followed by booze that muddles into a caramel hop mixture. The hops taste earthy and dry. The hop bitterness is smooth and firm and it lingers on the tongue after the beer is well gone. This is a phenomenal ESB.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
GT2 (8663) - San Diego County, California, USA - MAR 17, 2014
[ Bottle ][ t0rin0 ][ 750mL ][ Tasting ][ Lost Abbey Globe ][ 3/15/14 ]
>> Clear light amber pour, small tan foam. Nose is vanilla, butterscotch, short bread. Barleywine nose and taste. Slightly bitter, big toffee, spicy, butterscotch, blondie. Not bad, good barleywine.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Stevesie (329) - - MAR 2, 2014
Bomber was gift from my wife. I like the wax dip, but HLF, it took two openers, a box knife and finally a lighter to get the cap off. Worth the work, though. Pretty, rich copper/burnt orange color with some mostly dissipating tan head. Superb lacing. Malty, boozy, somewhat metallic aroma. Taste is remarkably smooth and crisp. Slightly sweet with a clean finish. The price point dictates I wonít get this often, but itís a hell of a treat.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
deyholla (6814) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JAN 18, 2014
Bottle shared with friends. Pours a clear deep amber with a tan head that dissipates to the edges. Aroma has notes of earthy grains and earthy pine hops with a good amount of grass. Flavor has has more earthy grains with some grass and a good amount of hay.