Black Raven Kitty Cat Blues
     click to upload
overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 14   MEAN: 3.3/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
American Pale Ale with blueberries, catnip and spices.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
tcon25 (302) - Duvall, Washington, USA - AUG 31, 2015
Bottle pour at home, light copper pour, blueberry pancake aroma, little bitter taste, that may be the cat nip, not sure. Interesting beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
monk191 (1350) - California, USA - AUG 25, 2015
Not a bad pale ale, but was hoping for it to be a little more interesting to be honest. Pours a clear orange with a white head. Smells of blueberries and a bit of herbs. Taste is English pale ale, clean with some blueberries, herbiness and a hint of vanilla in the finish. Had in the bottle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
kemoarps (42) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUL 7, 2015
Clear copper/amber. I honestly expected a little more reddishness but this is just a crisp clear deep amber. Minimal head, but still decent lacing. First thing I noticed when I popped the cap was a quick whiff of dried blueberries. Not strong, but definitely present. That fades a bit as I pour and more traditional malts emerge. Bready and caramel and even a touch of biscuits. Some mild spicy hops in the background. I can see where folks get the blueberry muffin comparison. Interesting and pleasing aromas, but fairly faint. Grows as it warms. Vanilla comes in first, but not the strong definite vanilla you see in vanilla stouts, more a round sweet indistinction. Gives way to a definite berry sweetness and the idea of packaged blueberry muffins continues. Interesting. Doesnít forget its roots ultimately finishing with a pleasing earthy bitterness. Bridge between the muffins and the hops is some sweeter malts. Smoothe and drinkable I find myself appreciating this more the further into the glass I get. Definitely not for everyone though. I have no idea what catnip tastes/smells like, so I canít speak to what it might or might not offer in this glass, but if the description of the brew sounds compelling to you, Black Raven has a great reputation for a reason, and this is nuanced and well constructed.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
andrewje41 (1454) - Kenmore, Washington, USA - MAY 30, 2015
Draft pour pint at Malt and Vine. Pours a clear copper orange color with a fading head. Fresh hops and sweet berry filled aroma. No flavor hints here. Explosion of sweet blueberry, and vanilla. I think the flavor is a little on the intense side, and too.sweet, though itís overall pretty good. Like a blueberry tea beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Nie (35) - - MAY 27, 2015
2 month old bomber. Strong aroma of blueberry and hops. Blueberry up front, hops cutting it before becoming too sweet. A bit of a bitter aftertaste that is different from the expected, it has a bit of the catnip to it. This one is unexpected as blueberry dominates it, but its a welcome change from the regular stuff.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Ontape (469) - Valley Village, California, USA - MAY 21, 2015
Bomber. Pretty crazy. Blueberries tint it a bit, very clear and pretty in the glass. Blueberry muffin nose, straight up. Taste is somewhere between that and a clean pale ale. Possibly a hint of the catnip but the blueberries are the star here. A bomber is a ton even to split, a taster would have been plenty but still fun to try.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
cobaink2 (181) - seattle, Washington, USA - MAY 20, 2015
Crisp and refreshing summer ale. Don't let the name fool you. It tastes of blueberries, juniper and a slight bit of honey. I'm not sure I'm I'm detecting the catnip, but maybe that is a good thing. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Prufrockstar (1528) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAY 17, 2015
Bottle. Clear amber pour. Blueberry vanilla pale is right. Sweet, somewhat bready, gives the impression of a blueberry muffin. A bitter blueberry muffin.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
douglas88 (7349) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 17, 2015
Hmmm. I donít think this is retired anymore. Anyway, bomber thanks to Chris. Pours a clear darkish amber color with a small white head. A big fruity berry nose. Sweet fresh hops, caramel, then comes in a big shovel of blueberries, light mint. Super clean and nice. The berries are a bit much, or at least too sweet. But it works.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
OldMrCrow (2177) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUL 23, 2013
UPDATED: MAY 30, 2015 Tap at the Brewery 7/23/13. Aroma of blueberry and catnip. Iím kidding -- I donít really smell the catnip. But itís sort of cool that itís in there. When we were kids, we used to figure you could get high off of catnip, so we got our parents to let us grow it in the garden "for the cat" and weíd mash it up and eat it and then damned if we didnít feel high though of course, in retrospect, this was pure placebo effect. But I digress. Aroma of blueberry waffles and just a notch of APA hops. Well hopped making it drinkable and worth ordering by the pint instead of simply tasting in a sampler flight. No question that this is the best blueberry ale Iíve ever had, save for Blabeer.Well, and Ithaca Excelsior! Le Bleu. But yeah, blueberries early on the flavor, grading into herbal hops (and catnip, I suppose). Quaffable mouthfeel. Nice beer. 7/4/8/4/16=3.9

Revisit bottle 5/30/15 Well, I guess I went overboard the first time around. Iím just not feeling the love this time. The blueberry comes on as completely extraneous on top of what would otherwise be a reasonable if undistinguished APA. The catnip and hops just seem astringent and the super-late blueberry aftertaste is a bit nausiating. I guess itís sort of interesting, but this is a 3.low beer, not a 3.9. 7/3/6/3/13=3.2. Iíll bump in this direction.