overall

RATINGS: 397   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.24   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
We begin with a custom mixture of dark and roasted barley malts, then we add the choicest hops. The resulting ale has a dark chestnut color and a deep nutty flavor. Brewed specially for Trader Joe’s.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ckaminski (1) - USA - APR 11, 2006 does not count
I found this beer at one of my accounts and once I tried it, I was amazed. This dark beer was lighter in taste and had a toasted malt aroma.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
SturmWulf (65) - USA - MAY 3, 2009
A nice aroma of caramel and malt with touch of chocolate and nuts. It reminded me of a porter in smell. It poured a nice deep chestnut with a thin tan head that slowly faded and left a light lacing. A light sweet taste of nuts, roasted malt and caramel with a hint of coffee at the end. The body was between medium and full with a thick creamy texture and a slightly bitter finish that was pleasant. This is a very nice brew one that I would definitely try again. Served in a Pint at 45 degrees. Well done!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
prokash (1) - Morgan Hill, California, USA - OCT 30, 2011 does not count
I like the taste. I’m used to fairly heavy spicy food, so anything very light does not give me the taste. This is different, not really a dry or light type beer. Also I’m trying out few different dark beer, because they supposed to have high antioxidant. I wish it was bit less on the sweet side, though it is not sweet like of other beers. I like the roasted and coffee type touch. Just a tad bit of bitterness would be great for me... Overall, it a nice beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Chitown440 (15) - chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 18, 2007
Very tasty roasted malt flavor with a very clean finish & A very good value at 4.99 a sixpack!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
HopHater (16) - Apple Valley, Minnesota, USA - APR 4, 2013
Always enjoyed beer from Gordon Biersch. This is a tasty Brown Ale. Smooth Chocolate and Coffee flavors. Not too heavy so you can drink more than one. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Aggie80 (785) - Michigan, USA - MAY 20, 2003
Dark pour, minimal head with good lacing. Price is excellent! (Trader Joe's is a great place to find off the wall beers at good prices!) Nice sweet taste with just a touch of coffee bitterness in the background. I enjoyed this a lot.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
mikeben (355) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - NOV 23, 2003
This is a style that is very similer to some stouts flavor wise but a thinner lightet liguid overall. Coffe notes a plenty this almost tastes like it wasr. It does taste darkwhatever that cojers up and is quite good if not mind blowing. Terrific coffee aroma

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
thedm (4935) - Fort Wayne, USA - AUG 4, 2006
This bottled brew from a bottle shop poured a small sized head of foamy fine to medium sized light brown colored bubbles that was mostly lasting and left behind a transparent softly carbonated dark caramel brown colored body and a good lacing. The aroma was malty with very nice chocolate and roasted malt notes. The semi-thick mouth feel was had a malty tingly start that mellowed in the finish. The flavor contained crisp notes of dark malt and roasted malt. A bit on the thin side but still yummy and one I would certainly buy again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
sciencedude (62) - USA - AUG 16, 2011
Very good beer for its price. Nice toffee, nutty taste. Pours dark with an off white, sandy head.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dwyerpg (4528) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - DEC 22, 2006
Not much aroma. This is one nice dark beer, and if this actually qualifies as a brown ale, then it is one of my favorites per style. Not too over the top in any way, just a tasty filling beer.