Blind Tiger Cuvée de René

Blind Tiger Cuvée de René
     click to upload
overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 10   MEAN: 3.2/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.03   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
This is a very limited batch and it is an acquired taste. You may want to start with a sample size before you invest in a full glass. This is a Belgian inspired Wheat Ale brewed with Oregon grown red raspberries. In fact, 2 pounds of them in every gallon of beer! The flavor displays a Belgian Lambic style sourness followed by the sweet tartness of the raspberries. Named for the Brewmaster’s lovely wife, its means vat or cask of Renés very special beer. I brewed this beer on our anniversary, May 15th , to commemorate 20 years of wedded bliss and to make up for forgetting to send Roses!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
ads135 (2921) - Lawrence, Kansas, USA - FEB 10, 2014
Very sweet. Almost like their raspberry wheat on steroids. Ruby appearance and slimy finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
RobertDale (3408) - Lansing, Kansas, USA - JUN 28, 2013
On tap at the brewpub. Comes a clear bright red with a hint of a white head. Mild aroma of berries and citrus. Taste is tart raspberries and citrus. Interesting.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
csaso (1347) - Missouri, USA - AUG 15, 2012
Tap - small foamy head, dark red color, strong raspberry aroma and flavor, mild sourness -definitely more of a lambic than a fruit beer as categorized here on RB - just not a big fruit lambic fan, this beer is good for what it is though

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
berrya785 (441) - Kansas, USA - AUG 3, 2012
On tap at the Blind Tiger. Pours a clear bright red with a small white head. Aroma is sweet and raspberry. Taste is very tart with raspberries and some yeastiness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
badlizard (5539) - Berkeley, California, USA - JUL 19, 2012
On tap at brewery. Clear bright red with a fizzy off white head. Strong raspberry candy aroma and taste with some citrus and grain flavors on the back end and an acidic finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
beastiefan2k (2409) - Emerald City (formely NYC & KS), Washington, USA - JUN 15, 2012
I long have thought about this beer, just shortly after moving to Kansas in 2008 I found this listing. At that point thresh and Greg had already rated, so I knew what it was all about. However, I was still tantalized by the beer. First, its name is so close to that of one of my favorite guezes yet so far. Second is having the gall of mentioning lambic in its description. It was as if there was some small chance for a lambic beer and the previous rates had just drank early test batches (or some other similar nonsense in my head). But deep down I knew what it was all about.

For a few reasons, I never thought I would get a chance to savor it. First, no one in the KC area ever goes to Blind Tiger. No one ever drives past Free State to go to Topeka (for many reasons but especially not for beer). However, I did go once when a beer buddy from back East was visiting and I was giving him the local beer tour. However, the beer was not on tap at that time. I doubt that any of the local RBians have visited the place more than once or twice in their beer lives. So, at that point I too thought I would never go again. However, another one of those "beer moments" that happens in life by circumstance struck me. I had another visit from a beer buddy back East (dickinsonbeer). It is as if the beer gods wanted me to have another chance, even if I knew what the beer was all about. We decided to include it in our local beer trip and we even convinced Indra to come along (this was only his second visit ever and he has been on RB and living in KC for over a decade). When we get there it was on tap, HOORAY!!!! I did not actually order it, that would be useless and a waste of money and time. Paul got a sampler and I took a sip....

as I said earlier, I knew what it was all about.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
LiteWait (267) - New Hampshire, USA - JAN 24, 2012
Cloudy yellow no head. Aroma is of a weird funk, medium carbonation, reminds me of champagne, like the bartender said. With lite floating yeast. Leaves the mouth pucker from tartness. Not bad.. just different. Enjoyed on July 8th, 2011

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
unclemike (2222) - Ft. Riley, Kansas, USA - AUG 2, 2009
smell of rasberry is quite noticeable pours redddish color with faint white head. Raspberry flavor throughout no longing aftertaste. quiet a pleasent suprise.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
tjthresh (1865) - Greenfield, Indiana, USA - JAN 19, 2008
On tap at the brewpub. Pours bright red with scant white head. Candyish raspberry nose. Tart cherry flavor. The problem is that it comes off a bit like Kool Aid to me. Medium body. High carbonation. Dry finish. It was tasty, but very much like Kool Aid to me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Gregis (1281) - Shawnee, Kansas, USA - JAN 19, 2008
Pours a bright, clear ruby with a wispy white head that diminishes to a pinkish ring clinging to the edge of the glass. The nose is of lightly tart red raspberries and another faint note that reminds me of cranberry juice. Light-bodied and effervescent, this one is quite dry, stripping your tongue of all moisture at the finish. Tart and effervescent raspberries dominate the flavor, but without the sweetness you would get from actual berries. The Belgian yeast in this one seems to have gobbled up any residual sugar and left this one tart and bone dry. This is a pretty tasty fruit beer, but a little goes a long way.