Blue Moon Short Straw Farmhouse Red Ale

RATINGS: 344   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.67   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Farmhouse Ales were brewed for the diligent farmhands who drew the short straw and had to work the arduous harvest. Our brewmasterís expression blends the spiciness of a Farmhouse Ale with the tartness of a Flanders Red for a remarkably refreshing finish. Malts: Caramel Malt Pale Malt, European Abbey Malt, European Acidulated Malt, Chocolate Malt, Malted White Wheat Hops: Spalt Select, Czech Saaz Our Twist: White Pepper, Coriander, Hibiscus

Formerly know as "Farmhouse Red Ale"

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
markwise (4882) - North of Tampa, Florida, USA - SEP 22, 2015
Bottle from the warehouse. Pours a clear amber-red with an off-white head. Nose is some mild cherry, some malt, mild lactic character, and a light tartness. Flavor is similar with light cherry, some malt, some lactic, and a light tartness that fades immediately. Light in body and not bad overall.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
beer_rookie (189) - Arkansas, USA - AUG 20, 2015
I acquired this in a swap, so I only had one. I reviewed it the other day and something happened, and it didnít go through. So going off memory.

I remember the pour best. It was bronze color. Cloudy with a thin not quite white head.

Aroma was nicely floral. Maybe a little spicy.

Flavor was a little spicy bitter. Malt was a little heavier than the hops. It was a little too watery.

Mouthfeel was medium light. Strangely bitter but it was pleasant on the palate. Tricky finish, first its clean and then comes back bitter.

Overall its pretty good. A little boring, and not quite what I was expecting. I was hoping for a little more from the hibiscus. Itís not something I think I would buy again, but then again, I didnít buy this one.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
coldbrewky (1522) - Hippetown East, New York, USA - AUG 16, 2015
There are no noticeable spices present... some sweetness that quickly goes tart...reminiscent of raspberry or strawberry. Mer. Not bad for 6.99 a sixer at the rip and run.... easily drinkable but also easily forgettable. A skoash on the boring side.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
ozzy70 (213) - - AUG 7, 2015
12 oz. bottle into pint glass. Amber colored with small head. Aroma, malty and fruit. Fruity, wheat and malty taste. Not a favorite Blue Moon.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
CharmCityCrab (213) - Maryland, USA - JUL 30, 2015
A bit watered down and what is there is a bit sweet and cloying. Thereís a note of strawberries in it that I donít think are actual strawberries, just a flavor created by the yeast or something. It being a bit watered down saves it from being disgusting. You can throw one of these back and not mind it. But I wouldnít seek it out. Go for their Cinnamon Horchata instead if you have your pick of bottles from their summer mix pack.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
SG111 (639) - New York, USA - JUL 20, 2015
Bottled. Best by 10/26/15. Pours golden amber, thin white head. Aroma is caramel malt, sweet sticky malt, light toffee, (very) light citrus hops. Meh Aroma. Flavor is sweet. Very sweet. Sweet cherry, dark fruit, plum, light cinnamon spice. not great. Not super generic ale which is what it smells like. But itís sweet and not super pleasant.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
tfontana (224) - Fremont, New Hampshire, USA - JUL 17, 2015
Bottle. Aroma is strong yeasty dough fruitiness with some bread. Appearance is beautiful clear copper with slow, mild sparkle, no head and no lacing. Taste is mainly tart fruit. Palate is light bodied with thin texture and did something unpleasant in between my back molars and also along the sides of my mouth. Carbonation starts soft and then gets kind of fizzy. Finish is sour. Overall, an intriguing start (aroma and appearance) with a really disappointing ending (taste and palate). They succeeded with the tartness but it is not a refreshing finish and all those malts, hops and spices get lost. Not my favorite type of beer but I donít think itís very good for itís style either, and it seems most agree.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
eRock_2013 (344) - South Carolina, USA - JUL 13, 2015
Hmm well I suppose it's an acceptable macro rendition of the style, but blue moon's saison can't escape being something funky and artificial. The nose is a pungent red fruit flavor with coriander, reflected in the overly fruity almost apple juice-like taste. Has its sophisticated aspects, like the subtle peppery accents throughout, and the resemblance to the style is recognizable. Too much fruitiness, not of the yeasty variety, no malt that I perceived ... just ok overall but I would not drink this again.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 9/20
Cavie (4043) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - JUL 10, 2015
Bottle. Pours a clear reddish orange color. Aroma is lightly funky, hay, and faint fruit. Flavor is a bit sour, grainy and dry straw. Finished with a bit of a pucker. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
BiiruBierBeer (673) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - JUN 25, 2015
Hits the nose kind of like pine, spice, and piss. First it tastes like a sharp wheat ale and then very soon after the incredibly disgusting aftertaste begins. It takes a few seconds to reach peak nastiness (the label calls it "tart") and then it continues to linger in the mouth for a long time. I poured it out after drinking half the bottle. It actually burned my throat like stomach acid for quite a while after I stopped drinking it until I washed it down with something sweet. Medium to high carbonation. Kind of sharp going down.