overall

RATINGS: 130   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.41   IBU: 91   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
Our latest addition to our year-round lineup. For you hop heads out there, you have to try this! This American style IPA made with rye grain tops the charts at over 85 IBU (thatís a lot of bitter!). Itís starts with floral hop notes a big malty body hinting at the underlying rye grain and finishes with a nice clean bitterness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ghawener (1519) - San Salvador, EL SALVADOR - JUL 10, 2010
Bottle: Solid, savory, well balanced, truly IPA. Food Pairing: Deep dish pizza.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Rusty (1543) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - JUL 7, 2010
Pours a brownish orange with a off white head. Aroma is rye, hops, grains, malt, caramel. Flavor is bitter earthy hops, rye, grains, touch of caramel and spices. Not too sweet, and just the right amount of bitterness. Easy to drink and well balanced. Good drinkable Rye IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
AmEricanbrew (6231) - Same Trailer, Different Park, Louisiana, USA - JUN 14, 2010
Bottle. Glowing amber color/ viscous white head. Nice floral, pine sol hop, spicy sweet malt aromas. soft medium body. Good floral hop flavors with sweet n spicy pale malt, rye malt flavors. Clean bitter finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bhensonb (12140) - Woodland, California, USA - MAY 23, 2010
Bomber. Pours copper with a foamy light beige head. Aroma is rather rye with some floral hop. Medium body with mild carbonation. It really is rye, mildly roasted. The hop does seem highly floral. Might be a touch of citrus. Itís very bitter, and maybe some of that is from the malt. Itís pretty tasty, and stands apart from "normal" IPAs.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Lagunitasfan (1321) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 23, 2010
22 oz bottle from Holiday, which I fear wasnít as fresh as it shoulda been, unfortunately. Nobody else mentioned floaties. Nose is mild hop and high citrus. Taste is less hoppy and more floral citrus. Iíll have to try again another time and rerate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Saarlander (1686) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - APR 26, 2010
Nice dull orange pour, huge lingering head. Abit sweet, not as hoppy as I expected, some spice, pepper there, slight resin, but a little tame for me, its good, just wish it was hopped more. Decent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
mspindler (489) - Alta Loma, California, USA - APR 12, 2010
Bottle. Pours a clear amber with a two finger off white head. Aroma is spicy and floral with some citrus and light malt. Flavor is citrusy and floral with some fresh fruits, spice, and a smooth bitterness. Light bodied, well carbonated, refreshing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
mastabass666 (277) - California, USA - APR 4, 2010
Clear light amber. Aroma-floral hops, malty, sweet. Taste- spicy, sweet, citrus and floral hops, tangy. Finishes sweet and fruity, slightly peppery, not much bitterness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
dollarbill (13) - , California, USA - MAR 19, 2010
Bought a coupla bottles of this at Vendome in Fullerton, CA. The brewery is probably less than four miles from this store, as the crow flies. Itís a very crisp and refreshing IPA. Humans can supposedly discern IBU differences within a +/- 5 IBU range, but I would not have guessed this beer clocks in at 85 IBUs, as the brewery marketing copy claims. Iím sure my palate isnít as good as many, and my hop tolerance has changed quite a bit over the years, but I just donít think itís really 85 IBUs. Maybe 50? Thatís not to say it is not an IPA. Pliny the Elder clocks in at around 100 IBUs, and it doesnít taste like 100 to me either, so I could be completely full of it. I like this beer. I paid $4 for a 22-oz bottle, and itís not bad. I donít think Iíll be jonesing for it like I jones for Pliny, but I canít get Pliny whenever I want it, so Iím always on the lookout for decent, more easily obtained IPAs. This is right up there with Stone, Alesmith, Ballast Point, and Port. Itís a decent IPA. An aside, addressed to the rating below: I used to avoid Racer 5, after having a bad bottle, but now itís part of the rotation, too. Just be careful out there, and make sure the IPA youíre buying is fresh and properly stored.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Naven (1000) - Poway, California, USA - MAR 12, 2010
Pours a nice dark amber color. No aroma. Zilch. Flavor is rye, malt, medicine, rotten vegetables. A tiny bit of spicy hops in the background. Itís a looooong stretch to call this an IPA. Honestly, I donít even think I would call this a Pale ale. Maybe an ESB? Not a very good one either. This is my first bootleggers beer and wow what a bore this is.