overall

RATINGS: 119   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.39   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
Our latest addition to our year-round lineup. For you hop heads out there, you have to try this! This American style IPA made with rye grain tops the charts at over 85 IBU (thatís a lot of bitter!). Itís starts with floral hop notes a big malty body hinting at the underlying rye grain and finishes with a nice clean bitterness.

dollarbill's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
dollarbill (13) - , California, USA - MAR 19, 2010
Bought a coupla bottles of this at Vendome in Fullerton, CA. The brewery is probably less than four miles from this store, as the crow flies. Itís a very crisp and refreshing IPA. Humans can supposedly discern IBU differences within a +/- 5 IBU range, but I would not have guessed this beer clocks in at 85 IBUs, as the brewery marketing copy claims. Iím sure my palate isnít as good as many, and my hop tolerance has changed quite a bit over the years, but I just donít think itís really 85 IBUs. Maybe 50? Thatís not to say it is not an IPA. Pliny the Elder clocks in at around 100 IBUs, and it doesnít taste like 100 to me either, so I could be completely full of it. I like this beer. I paid $4 for a 22-oz bottle, and itís not bad. I donít think Iíll be jonesing for it like I jones for Pliny, but I canít get Pliny whenever I want it, so Iím always on the lookout for decent, more easily obtained IPAs. This is right up there with Stone, Alesmith, Ballast Point, and Port. Itís a decent IPA. An aside, addressed to the rating below: I used to avoid Racer 5, after having a bad bottle, but now itís part of the rotation, too. Just be careful out there, and make sure the IPA youíre buying is fresh and properly stored.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
BucannonXC5 (802) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 18, 2014
Type: 22-oz. bottle Glass: Modern Times pint glass From: Hansonís Market in San Clemente, Calif. Price: $4.29 Purchased: July 7, 2014 Consumed: July 10, 2014 Misc.: Tons of foam poured out of the beer after I opened it Poured a honey, orange, hazy color with six fingers of frothy, off-white head. Above average foamy layered lacing along the sides of the glass. Good-to-great retention on the top all the way down. Smelled earthy rye hops, wet Cascade hops, cantaloupe, sweetened iced tea, green peas, light asparagus, broccoli, corn chips and some caramel notes. Tasted a tad better than the smell, but still not that great. Got those earthy rye hops again to lead. Also buttery notes, cantaloupe, lemon grass, honey, sweetened iced tea, citrus hops, caramel, cough drops, lemon and some vegetable notes. Felt like a kind of cheap taste, but grew on me as it went down. Medium-to-light body. Oily texture. Average carbonation. Long, smooth finish. Could hardly taste the alcohol. This rye IPA really grew on me. Not too bad and a great value for the price ($4.29).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
amazinwlrdfood (11) - California, USA - JUL 14, 2014
I hate IPAs for the most part, however I was pleasantly surprised by this one. Not only does it give hope that brewers will back off of the overuse of hops to cover their basic beer recipe, but that someone else has an appreciation for a well balanced beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
Westchesterco (845) - mclean, Virginia, USA - MAR 20, 2014
On tap at travidta napolina in Pasadena it is a clear holden color with a slight head the aroma is citrus and the taste is bitter grapefruit that lingers on the palate

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Iphonephan (3066) - McLean, Virginia, USA - MAR 20, 2014
From a flight at Tratoria Neapolis in Pasadena CA. Pours a clear reddish copper with an off white head. Grassy hop nose. Flavors of pepper and citrus. Medium bodied. Bitter finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
GarrettB (998) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 5, 2014
July 10th, 2012 - I canít remember where I got this, or where I drank it, or why, but it must have been at the tail end of a trip. At the very least, it was likely another beer in a summer which I excluded most carbohydrates from my diet. Beer was one of the sole exceptions, which meant each beer had to be worthwhile. This one pours a deep, hazy orange, with a thick head and lots of off-white lacing. Some orange peel and hops expresses in the aroma, which a general sweetness that brings much of that orange marmalade quality found in some sweeter IPAs, but coupled with some fresh, cheap leather, too. The taste is sweet up front, but pushes fresh orange (in contrast to the aroma) and even some banana, with a medium to short aftertaste featuring some fresh cherry sweetness. Itís sweet, tangy and unique, but totally separate from the rye flavors I was expecting in both the nose and the flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
EricTeusink (678) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - NOV 15, 2013
Drank with deadCATAtlanta while installing my garage beer fridge. I am a touch annoyed that we didnít get this fresh, as it was still a solid beer past its prime. Scent is cereal and a touch of booze. Rye bitterness lasted, but the hops had faded. Nice amount of sweet. Pour darkish amber with decent head. Light-Medium crisp body. Bottle - Share from DeadCATAtlanta

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
DaCar (2) - Long Beach, California, USA - SEP 29, 2013 does not count
Served on tap at the brewery, poured a beautiful orange/rust color with a nice creamy one finger head. Got a strong floral smell with a nice grapefruit aroma lofting around. Drink was smooth and full of flavor, great finish along the back of the tongue.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
Wittales (625) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - AUG 22, 2013
Appearance was clear copper gold with lasting creamy off white 2 finger head, spotty lacing. Aromas are sweet pale, crystal malt base, then hops of citrus and tropical with spicey rye. Taste are slightly sweet malt upfront gaves way to spicey rye, but subtle. Hops of lemon, grapefruit, and orange, melon with hints of alcohol. Palate are creamy smooth CO2 with medium body, lasting spicey rye hoppy finish. I likey, try if you like the Rye.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DedicatedToFun (2334) - Santa Monica, California, USA - AUG 22, 2013
Pretty good IPA, nice hazy color, small white head, bottle from Whole Foods, bomber, good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
blipp (5967) - Newark, New Jersey, USA - AUG 20, 2013
Bottle. Pours orange with a white head. Faint rye malts, a hint of sweetness, lighter floral notes, and light fruity notes. Balanced and drinkable; not bad.