Boscos Lauras Espresso Stout
     click to upload

RATINGS: 1   MEAN: 3.4/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3   SEASONAL: Special   ABV: -

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
arjoseph (642) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 26, 2007
On cask (beer engine), Nashville brewpub. I have never seen this before, and hope they make more more frequently, because it is good. Like many Boscos beers, it might not please those who are looking for intense experiences. This beer especially proves the point; it is as different from my pre-conception of an espresso stout as it could be. In fact, I would claim it is misnamed if I didnít suspect they actually use espresso in the recipe. Pours black with a large oatmeal head. The smell is soft, just like everything else about this beer, but the coffee is distinct and delicious-smelling (also, some oatmeal). Moderately roasty at first, the roast and espresso donít take off until the finish, where the coffee is only moderately bitter and surrounded by lactic sweetness. This drinks like a breakfast stout. Not as intense as Hitachino Nest, not as robust as Founders Breakfast, not as multi-faceted and delicious as Kuhnhenn Creme Brulee, this is still nicely flavored and textured, moving from smooth to dry, sweet to somewhat bitter, and soft (like oatmeal has been added) to sharp. Only criticisms: itís a bit mealy in the finish, and a bit watery on the mouthfeel. I would like to see a non-cask version of this; I hope itís in the works.