overall

RATINGS: 349   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66   IBU: 39   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
Our twist on the traditional american porter, Shake chocolate porter is black in color with rich, dark chocolate aromatics and flavors and subtle coffee-like notes. This unique brew blends five different grains, including Chocolate Wheat, that along with cacao nibs create a devilishly delicious chocolate finish with a velvety mouth feel.

Scotchfreckles (1) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - MAR 19, 2014 does not count
I am a Guinness lover but Shake has become my first love for now. The flavor is a smooth balanced chocolate. The finish is full bodied and doesnít blot one after finishing the pint. Wonderful beer and will go out of my to buy it and share it.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
maxwelldeux (3802) - Everett, Washington, USA - NOV 29, 2013
Draught. Wow. Pour was a very dark brown color with a moderate pillowy tan head on it. Nose was close to chocolate ice cream with just a slight bit of roasting in there. Taste was very chocolatey and super creamy. Was almost like drinking chocolate milk. Great brew, but then again, Iím a sucker for chocolate.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
FlatBusted (2) - - AUG 5, 2014 does not count
Exactly what it says.... absolutely spot on in flavor. It has become my benchmark for chocolate porter.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
razzle (8) - Montana, USA - NOV 4, 2013 does not count
I am loving this beer right now. just picked up one, and it actually tastes like it says. Great chocolate aroma! Not too over the top. I am going to get fat because of this beer... Cheers

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
krumbum (523) - truckee, California, USA - MAR 7, 2014
Dark but light still penetrates it, frothy head. Beautiful chocolate smell. Had this on nitro and in a bottle nitro was just a bit more creamy but both were smooth milkshake sweet awesome. We thought it would be great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, we were wrong, it was awesome.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
jbuskirk (486) - Holdrege, Nebraska, USA - MAY 14, 2014
UPDATED: OCT 19, 2014 Chocolate beers are the unsung heroes of the brewing world. Sure, almost everyone thinks that dark beers are a perfect match for rich, chocolaty flavors but thinking isnít the same as doing. Itís difficult to find the right balance between chocolate and roastiness. Too much and the beer tastes cloying and fake. Too little and you can hardly tell itís there. Boulderís Shake has hit that miraculous "just right" taste. It starts with the rich, spicy, malty aroma. Then, the flavor comes at you in strategic waves. It begins with coffee roast and bittersweet chocolate - all very typical for a quality porter. By the middle of the mouth, though, Shake develops the malty, syrupy, creamy taste that its name implies. This porter goes down silky smooth with restrained sweetness. My palate was begging for more after every sip. Damn, I wish Iíd bought more than just a single.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
RickReallyBrew (32) - Franktown, Colorado, USA - OCT 7, 2014
This brew smells like a chocolate shake and has a wonderful chocolate flavor. I shy away from many Porter beers due to an aversion I have acquired when I first started brewing. I once subscribed to the mantra. "If a little is good, a lot is better". But then I added too much chocolate malt to a batch of Porter. My friends and wife drank it all, as I became overwhelmed by specific flavor of chocolate malt. Did I mention, Iím a beer snob. And I hate my own beer from time to time. Thankfully, Iím not a slow learner. I matured a bit as a home brewer. You can double the ingredients of many beers and wind up with something amazing. Iíve taken milk stouts and Guiness style stouts way up in OG and adjuvants. But many commercially available small batch brewers donít or canít discern the taste of a chocolate malt overdose. This beer is perfectly balanced and flavorful. The head was thick because it was on Nitro. This beer is an art form. A scoop of ice cream in this or a Milk Stout Nitro and Iím approaching beer Nirvana. This is a righteous Chocolate Porter. I hate to call it a porter as I damn near never drink Porters. I think it could qualify as a Shake Stout. Really tasty. Just right. Skip dessert and order one of these w a scoop of ice cream!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
cduncan14 (138) - Sandy Springs, Georgia, USA - NOV 22, 2013
Poured from a bottle. Amazing aromas of dark chocolate, cream, and a touch of coffee, and then more chocolate. Deep, dark brownish-red color with a tan head. Amazing flavors that are most easily likened to a chocolate milkshake. Tons of cocoa flavor thatís very smooth, as well as some roasted malt and just the tiniest hint of hops at the end to give it some assertion and keep it from being too sweet. This is one of the best beers Iíve had in a long time. Not your traditional porter, but a PERFECT dessert beer. Highly recommended.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MarkSachon (635) - Pennsylvania, USA - APR 12, 2014
12 oz bottle from Giant Eagle in Pittsburgh. Tastes a bit like a chocolate milkshake but with a kick. Very smooth and creamy, not too sweet.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Jamesthebrit (296) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - SEP 7, 2014
Smell is powerful. Malty chocolaty. Lactose notes. Smooth. Iron copper, Looks nicer dark brown. Creamy light tan head, Taste is well balanced. Sweet. Chocolate is present and very noticeable but not too power powering. Metalic notes move into a smooth finish. Palate is metallic. Smooth. Sweet. Creamy. Balanced. This is probably the best chocolate beer Iíve had. Very balanced but still letís the chocolate stand out.