overall

RATINGS: 906   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.61   IBU: 49   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
The intense flavors of dark-roasted malt in our rendition of the classic English porter are perfectly balanced by a generous and complex hop character. Bully! Porter’s robust nature makes it the ideal companion to a variety of foods, from seafood to chocolate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
csbosox (1229) - Prairie Village, Kansas, USA - DEC 10, 2004
12oz bottle. Tasted at 52 degrees. Pours black, with a reddish tint, had a tan head that subsided quickly. Great aroma. Coffee, sweet malt, citrus rinds, bittersweet chocolate. Flavor is roasty and coffee-like, but also has a nice flowery/fruity hop flavor that is fighting to be noticed. This is really nicely balanced. The finish is dry with a nice flavor. The mouthfeel is very good and creamy. I have lived in the Lawrence/KC area for over 10 years and this one had slipped under my radar the entire time, shame on me. This might be one of my new "always in the fridge" beers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
pinotwinelover (18) - USA - DEC 8, 2004
This barley driven porter reminds me of barley wine without the alcohol, so I really like it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
barleyPops (1141) - Quad-Cities, Illinois, USA - DEC 8, 2004
bottle. dark brown in color with a hint of red, nice creamy beige head with moderate lace. aroma of roasted coffee. Only my second Porter and while this is good and tastey, the Bell’s Porter was much smoother.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Doppelganger (1388) - Dry County, Arkansas, USA - DEC 8, 2004
On tap, Hugos. This is sort of a hard one to rate objectively. It goes way back for me. My first beer. And still my favorite eating out beer. (Nothing else goes so well with a burger.) Pours black with slight red tint. Head of fine creamy tan bubbles. Lots of roast barley in the aroma. Body is smooth, but with enough astringency to make it very palate cleansing. Roast barley and coffee flavors. One of the few beers I can get in AR that my RateBeer friend in CO can’t get. Great news. Good to have something worthwhile to trade. Also good to know that, yes, craft breweries in the midwest can survive.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
meathookjones (245) - Sterling, Virginia, USA - DEC 7, 2004
This pours out black with slight reddish highlights when held up to the light and a quick forming monstrous tall rocky beige head that peaks over the glass. This drops to a small quarter inch head leaving a smattering of lacing around the glass. The aroma on this is heavy with smokiness and roasted malt with coffee being the strongest scent and chocolate playing a background role. The taste is similar to the aroma as roasted malts fill the palate and flavors of chocolate, coffee and a slight earthy hop taste come out as well. Very balanced taste and a good dry finish. Mouthfeel is a little less than expected but well carbonated and creamy. Pretty good drinkability as this has a solid taste and is not over the top in any areas.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SpringsLicker (3224) - Tennessee, USA - DEC 3, 2004
Thaks to Indra for this trade brew! Ruby highlights come through this deep dark brew that produces a full head of thick, tan, whipped cream head. Yeasty, malty aroma invites a sip of this malty smooth brew that goes over the tongue in perfect balance. Very nicely done Porter that can hold it’s own with the big names.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Mangino (1027) - Mississippi, USA - NOV 28, 2004
Pours a dark brown, no head with a small bit of lacing. Aroma of cola, choclate, cofee, and black licorice. Flavor is roasted coffee, choclate, and malt. A nice brew, thanks to Heemer for this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DavidP (1747) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 23, 2004
Bottle, best by date is 3/15/05. Black body under a big brown head. This porter doesn’t mess around! Full and satisfying aroma, flavor and mouthfeel. Coffee roast nose tempered by some honeyed biscuit. Trending on the bitter side the flavor starts with coffee, a lesser amount of chocolate, cigar smoke, and that same acid tartness. Long dry smokey coffee bean finish. A wonderfully bitter porter; kudos to Heemer for throwing this beer my way!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
hellomynameis (876) - Mayer, Minnesota, USA - NOV 13, 2004
Apparently I missed something. This felt way too sour to me. It hada good aroma, and it looked nice. I just couldn’t stand the taste of this. It was sour and bitter. Not my style. I’ll have to try it once more to rule out a bad bottle, but I doubt my results will end up any different.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
lizzy (44) - Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - OCT 16, 2004
I love this beer. One of my very favorites. Dark with tan head. Malty bitter coffee flavor. Everything it does, it does very well.