overall

RATINGS: 699   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83/5   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 26   EST. CALORIES: 354   ABV: 11.8%
Based loosely on the Smokestack Seriesí The Sixth Glass, this abbey-style quadrupel is separated into a number of oak bourbon barrels where it ages for varying lengths of time, some for up to three years. Cherries are added to make up for the ďangelís shareĒ of beer lost during barrel aging. Selected barrels are then blended for optimum flavor. The resulting beer retains only very subtle cherry characteristics, with toffee and vanilla notes coming to the fore.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
StefanSD (2246) - Ouray, Colorado, USA - MAR 12, 2011
750 ml bottle courtesy of Soonah. Pours a cloudy copper-brown color with a small off-white head that soon dissipates to a fine ring. The aroma is mild with bourbon, oak and port wine. The flavor is big on cherries, lots of tart black cherries soaked in whiskey, the oak also comes through with some porto. The palate is thin and winey with soft carbonation. The finish is long with tart cherries. Overall: The tartness of this really surprised me, i was not expecting this level of sour. This would have been great if the palate had held together a bit better. That aside its still quite good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
BelgianBeerGal (3579) - Panama City, Florida, USA - MAR 9, 2011
UPDATED: FEB 16, 2015 Traded bottle at cellar temperature from when we didnít live 40 minutes from the brewery; probably about 1.5yrs old. Pours a clear copper color with a medium tan head. Interesting aroma of sour cherries and wood that didnít make sense until I just read the deScription. Still can pick out the "quad" notes though, typically sweet. Maybe a little more cherry up front and then the quad notes roll in. Boozy finish of rum soaked dark fruit. Pretty nice I must say.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
changeup45 (1727) - Mount Dora, Florida, USA - MAR 5, 2011
Bottle from Malt & Vine. Batch 2010-1. Pours a murky reddish-brown color with a good thick tan head that fades somewhat quickly to a thin frothy layer. Thereís lots of bourbon and wood in the aroma along with the cherries. Belgian yeast and candi sugar join the scent as well but are not as noticeable as expected. The flavor adds vanilla, dried mixed fruit, toffee, and light spice, that go along with the cherries and bourbon, which still stand out here. The wood shows mostly in the finish with a lot of wet barrel notes surfacing. The more traditional Quad flavors are diluted; Belgian yeast, dark fruit, candi sugar, they are here, but rather than being at the forefront they are burried beneath the strong bourbon and cherry. This shows every bit of 11.8% with a rather sharp alcoholic tang that just seems to keep getting stronger the more I drink this. Itís surprising how little this resembles The Sixth Glass Quad. On paper this sounds awfully tasty but I just think the bourbon barrel aging is vastly overdone here masking a lot of what makes the base beer so good. I didnít dislike it though, itís just one of the very few brews from these guys Iíve been slightly disappointed with.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
piscator34 (2198) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - FEB 26, 2011
Bottled sample via rudge75. Clear copper in colour with medium/strong carbonation. Aromas are of sweet pale malts, vanilla pod, and baked apples. The flavour profile reminded me of a boozy apple pie, with some backing elements of orchard fruit, faint oak, vanilla, and a bit of caramel. Medium bodied, with a long estery finish. It seems to lack some of the richness and complexity of better quads, but still packs quite the punch booze wise. Not Boulevardís best.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Onionkid (376) - Fayetteville, Arkansas, USA - FEB 22, 2011
UPDATED: APR 4, 2011 Bottle. Okay, what in the hell? I love Boulevard, but this...this was something of a monstrosity. I agree with everything Iím reading in other reviews, talking about the nuances of the flavors and all that to an extent, but my problem here is that I can really only taste anything once Iíve gulped this down and Iím feeling that in the aftertaste - whatís lingering on my tongue. To me, when I first sip this, Iím getting a punch in the mouth very similar to what Iíd taste if I were drinking a very hard mix drink. You can write daintily all you want about how it has an alcoholic bite or a bourbon/scotch taste to it with high carbonation to boot. What I interpret when I see that is what I suppose can be attributed to my lowly neophyte status: Jack & Cola! I canít shake that out of my head...this tastes entirely too potent, alcohol-wise, and to me any sort of subtlety is lost because of it. I donít know if itís the bourbon barreling that did that, which I suspect is exactly what the problem is to me, but something is off. There seems to be a good beer underneath, I just canít find it underneath that strong flavor. I mean that in the sense that if I had seen 25% ABV written on it, I wouldíve thought it made sense! At 11.8%, to get such a liquor taste like that, I have to wonder what the point is? This was clearly not a beer for me, though I do appreciate Boulevard making something like this. 11.8% alcohol.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
nimbleprop (6654) - SouthWest, Washington, Washington DC, USA - FEB 22, 2011
750ml bottle pours a hazy, copper amber with a thin, cloudy white head. Smells and tastes infected. Nose is tart, sugary, lemons, herbs. Flavor is sweet, candy sugar, brown sugar, lightly tart, estery, banana, clove, raisin, rum. Full bodied, boozy finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
degbert (1520) - Austin, Texas, USA - FEB 18, 2011
Bottle. Pours a hazy red-brown with a high, cinnamon head. The nose is amazingly pervasive; bourbon, vanilla, cherry, and toast notes. The flavor is dry and rich; definite bourbon again, toffee and caramel, slight sour notes, and overall a medium roasty malt. Not over the top, and with elements that almost remind me of a sour ale. Very, very good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Thorpe429 (5016) - , Illinois, USA - FEB 18, 2011
Reviewed from notes. Pours a darker shade of amber brown with a slight off white to tan head. Some spotty lacing. Nose brings a hefty dose of bourbon along with some nice vanilla, oak, dark fruit, spicy yeast, and a bit of brown sugar. Taste is mostly bourbon along with some nice sweet malt and some Belgian characteristics. Slight amounts of bourbon-based booze and a nice creaminess to it. Drinks really well. Quite unique and very enjoyable. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 10-16-2010

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mgermani (1002) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - FEB 13, 2011
Pours an orange-red with a lovely off-white head of some size. Lovely funky cherry aroma - not too sour, perhaps more bretty. Fantastic taste - lots going on, but nothing juts out: sour cherries, malt, light brett, just a touch of bitterness to round out a lovely aftertaste. Lots of carbonation, thinnish body, warming peppery but not overly alco-burny finish. Many thanks to Dave and Sarah for finding this for me!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
skortila (5002) - Baarn, NETHERLANDS - FEB 13, 2011
Bottled. The aroma has caramel/sugar, wood, some bourbon, raisin, cherries. Slightly hazy, orange-brown coloured beer with an off-white head. The taste is sweet, light tart, has some bourbon and wood, red fruits, caramel/sugar. Really nice and very subtle. Great beer and underrated imo.