Boulevard Smokestack Series - Two Jokers Double-Wit

Serve in Tumbler, Weizen

RATINGS: 332   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 15   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%

No. 8 in the Boulevard Smokestack Series. "Double Witbier"

Conventional wisdom holds that there are two sides to every story. Though our new Two Jokers Double-Wit is hardly conventional, there are in fact two distinct pieces to its personality. On the one hand, it’s a revival of the classic Belgian “wit,” or “white” beer, a style dating back to the late 1800s. The use of lactic fermentation and ingredients like coriander and orange peel are hallmarks of the style, as are the cloudiness and the pale color that give the beer its name. On the other hand, it’s a modern, uniquely American specialty brew; big, flavorful, and spiced with cardamom, lavender, and grains of paradise. Two Jokers has a refreshing tartness, nicely balanced by a well rounded malt bill graced by notes of caramel. Belgian yeast brings floral aromas with hints of banana and clove, and a citrusy zing to the tongue. Two Jokers Double-Wit pairs well with the lighter fare of spring and summer, such as grilled fish or chicken, feta cheese, fresh garden salads, and fruit compotes.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BeerHawk (1810) - Huntsville, Alabama, USA - SEP 27, 2009
Bottle. Batch 1 - 2009. Poured a cloudy pale with a huge creamy white head that had some lasting and good lace. Aromas of citrus, wheat, and a light spice background. The flavor found banana, lemon, light clove, and a hint of metallic. Light body and a slight sour aftertaste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Shag (2718) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - SEP 22, 2009
Pop the cap or should I say the cork the jokers are out to play and the joke is on your friends who buy Bud products. I can not stop laughing at the irony two jokers and double wit, was the name intentional or a random misnomer, either way on to the beer!!! Lordy mercy at the carbonation on this! The cork was flying about the room like a missle fired by the evil Dubya at a middle eastern dicator. The foam was everywhere like a rabid dog that had to be put down. Don’t cry for old Yella cause he will live peacefully in my glass then on to my belly and it will go to the urine tract. As my nose wanders about the glass I smell orchard fields of delight, like I am high and living in Florida. Oh imagine being on shrooms in the citrus fields. Oooooh my! A nice wake up call of ethanol radiates from the citrus fields of pleasure. Oh my how I dance gay-ly about! As the late 90s pop group proclaimed SPICE UP YOUR LIFE. By golly Scary Spice was so right. I am dancing with gingerbread men and women here! I just stole a button from one, teehee do not tell! I have not even sampled the beer yet I am still in a plethora of orgasmic joy! The foam has settled now hits my humble lips! Ooooh snap ya’ll the citrus burst is that of an 80s Starburst commercial. I am carried away by a fruit explosion! I am as orange an Oompa Loompa and as yellow and sour as a drunken dwarf. Oh my friends the fun does not stop there oh no sir! The spice rack is on attack. A sharp coriander sword through my tongue has just taken place. With a nice warming finish. Like reading a book by an unknown author and sitting by the fire. Oh my what a marvelous job the folks in the Show Me state have done. Well they surely did Show Me how to take a simple belgian summer bier and make it a masterpiece and make my nose just a little bit more red by evening end. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys life, or even enjoys not dying. I’m still alive! And befriending my two new joker friends!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Ughsmash (7408) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 21, 2009
Thanks to Chris for the 750mL bottle! Poured hazy, bright golden with a creamy, well-formed cap of white head.. looked great! The aroma picked up a hefty dose of orange zest and cloves over chewy banana and a pinch of honey.. as it warmed up, more spices emerged, showcasing the grains of paradise.. lesser floral character rounded it out. The flavor had bread, honey, and toasted banana at the core, again with a huge dose of spicage.. orange zest and grains of paradise again, with cloves and white pepper hitting harder on the warm finish.. floral notes and alcohol warmth came back after the finish. Medium-bodied and well-carbonated on the palate.. lots of spices and wheaty sourness on all facets of the drink.. a bit thicker and chewier than I like for the style, but it was a unique take.. I’d drink it again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
kiefdog (1826) - Tampa, Florida, USA - SEP 16, 2009
75cl bottle courtesy of ericandersnavy. Pours a hazy dark caramel color with huge two finger foamy white head. Aroma is sweet and spicy with notes of honey, yeast, bread, lemon peel, hints of caramel and spice. Flavor is sweet and spicy with notes of fresh citrus, caramel, honey, wheat, honey, yeast, spice. Medium body with a sweet and spicy finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
illinismitty (2270) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - SEP 15, 2009
Bottle from Friar Tuck in Savoy, IL. Pours a very nice hazy orange with a two fingers white head. Estery Belgian aroma of funk, cobwebs, and white pepper with some strong citrus as well. Medium bodied with a soft texture and fine carbonation. Flavor of pale wheaty malts with notes of sage, flower petal, and grains of paradise. Finish is slightly acidic with some moderate tartness, and strong amounts of white pepper and clove. Not bad, but something seems to be missing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jzzbassman (1525) - Arlington, Texas, USA - SEP 13, 2009
Pours a hazy light gold with a voluminous head. Aroma of orange, lemon, pepper, and ginger. Phenolic flavors, with a lot of bitter lemon peel, banana, clove, and a lively mouthfeel. Finishes dry .

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Headbanger (3556) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - SEP 9, 2009
750 ml at RSRIZZO’s tasting 8/9/09-Pours a hazy orangish yellow with a big white head. Aroma of wheat, coriander, and orange. Taste of the same with some sourness on the aftertaste. This light to medium bodied brew is good but the sourness turned me off a bit.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
MmmcKay (1052) - Brentwood, Tennessee, USA - SEP 8, 2009
Nice brew from Boulevard. I wish it would sell a little better at my store. It’s really the perfect summer brew. Crisp coriander, orange and lemon flavors. Fantastic pairing with pork or salmon. Very clean flavors.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ilovedarkbeer (2503) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - SEP 6, 2009
In honor of the first boulevard of the season. Pours a hazy golden color with a massive white head that persists for quite a while. Nose is honey, grains of paradise, orange zest and banana. Taste is slightly catty (cat litter too), spicy, sweaty, honey/caramel, and you definitely get that lavender. Good but not great.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
GeneralGao (3614) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - SEP 5, 2009
Bottle. Poured a hazy medium orange color with a lasting white head. Smelled of honey, orange, coriander, and pastry. Medium bodied and slightly sweet with some delicate acidity and a splash of alcohol. Carbonation was on the high end of the spectrum. I tasted clove, perfume, lemon, champagne, and coriander.