overall

RATINGS: 79   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.32   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
A strong ale or "Winter Warmer" with dark red-brown color and a very rich malty flavor. Dry-hopped lightly with Cascades for a pleasant aroma and slightly spicy hop finish. This big beer is deceptively strong, yet tastes very smooth thanks to extra long cold conditioning.Original Gravity: 1.072

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Verne (263) - Enumclaw, Washington, USA - APR 6, 2004
Dark brown a little on the red side, medium sized creamy head that diminishes rather quickly but never goes completely down. Mildly sweet lightly toasty hops take over and dry it out in the end.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
joekinty (263) - rockledge, Florida, USA - OCT 26, 2008
thanks to all at mcbackus throwdown. nice flavors of caramelized sugar vanilla and a slight amount of citrus flavor

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
humulushound (242) - British Columbia, CANADA - NOV 28, 2009
Appearance amazes and entices in a snifter with a deep brown and ruby hues when held to the light. Fine tan head with impressive lacing. A rich caramel and candy-cane malt wafts into the nose with dark fruit, ripened bananas and light vanilla undertones. Flavor is malt-forward with nuts, molasses and bitter chocolate hiding in the background. Finish is warming, and hop-spiced with a dry mouthfeel, my least favorite characteristic of this beer. I was hoping for something velvety smooth and soothing but instead I am left craving a little water to moisten my palate. A decent effort though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
herbstress3 (221) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - DEC 8, 2002
Great color- very dark and thick. Perfect combination of malt and hops makes this an all around wonderful beer. One of the best winter ales I have had.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
duffman462 (175) - Gainesville, Florida, USA - JAN 24, 2007
Pours dark amber with a small head. Nose is toffee, pine, and cedar. Flavor is malty, with some citrus hops. Pretty good, but body seems a little thin for the style.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
porterdude (170) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - NOV 30, 2005
On tap. Pours a dark brown and so murky light does not escape. A thin off white head floats for a few minutes and then quickly disappears. There is an aroma of sweet caramel, wood, and viney hops. A flavor (sorta)explosion of thick sweet caramel and a slight off roast flavor. This beer has a pretty cloying body, but otherwise its not that interesting.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jpfrog (130) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - JAN 17, 2003
I couldn't smell that night, because I was getting over a cold, so I took my friends word on what it smelled like, and judged it from there. It was malty like all strong ales. It had great hops to balance it, go boundary Bay. I can't wait to try it in the bottle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
braznadian (59) - Washington, USA - DEC 13, 2012
I live only 3 hours from this brewery yet it is very hard for me to find. Pours a pretty dark brown mahogany. Thin head that recedes to edges of the glass. Strong bread and sourdough notes with subtle citrus. Taste is balanced though I do wish the hops made a bit stronger appearance. This is more on the malty side. Medium to full body. Maltiness stays on the palate for quite awhile but that suits most wintery beers in my opinion. Has a slight spice finish, from the hops I believe. Very enjoyable.

smrtypntss (1) - Redmond, Washington, USA - FEB 10, 2005 does not count
My absolute Favorite!!! The other descriptions tell you what it tastes like, but I just have to say that the bottle doesn’t come anywhere near close than on tap!