Boyne River Brown Ale

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 59   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76   ABV: -
Is loaded with a wonderful roasty/nutty flavor. Chocolate malt and the right touch of Chinook hops blend together for a full body.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
argo0 (11450) - Washington DC, USA - JUL 22, 2002
Nice brown body. Simple brown ale aroma, with a bit of an extra kick. Flavor is decent, not great -- slightly roasty, sweet, mild, not very complex. Solid body, goes down slightly sweet.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Radek Kliber (6390) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - JUL 21, 2002
Aroma was ok but alcohol presence was overtaking (sadly 0. The flavor did not impress me either. Average quality and complexity. Do not get me wrong we are talking here about upscale ale’s ok?

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jazz88 (2551) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUL 17, 2002
Bottle. A gorgious muddy swamp brown color with a little beige head. A light subtle and dry body with roasted nutty flavors and a great but subtle aftertaste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - JUL 10, 2002
This past 4th of July I had the distinct pleasure of visiting this brewery. I have tasted the Brown Ale in the bottle numerous times and enjoyed it. But, because of this website, I gained a renewed excitement about this beer and now I had the opportunity to drink it straight from the source. No disappointment. This little brewery that looks like a pole barn is all about beer. They have quelched their food menu and focused on brewing good ales. On tap, I thought the brown was a little hoppier than I recall it in the bottle. The aroma had definite nut and caramel pluming from the beer. The color was very dark. I lingered over one glass for nearly 45 minutes. Afterwards, I had the distinct pleasure of telling the owner about ratebeer and winning Brown Ale of the year. Can you believe that no one had yet informed him? Anyway, though I should share this experienc/review. Great beer from Northern Michigan.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
joet (2158) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - JUN 9, 2002
Oh man... this aroma is stellar... cookie, carmel and perfume, leather and pepper. Carries a thick light tan head and has a ruddy color SRM 19. Soft light-medium effervescence, bright and refreshing. Very drinkable though with an oaty chew and soft milk chocolate on the edge of vailla with an herbal finish. Order by the case. I’m curious if it would take on more brown ale tones if the hops were softened? I’d probably like that less though! Absolutely delicious and versatile with food pairings. Thanks to ΨProf.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
aracauna (3055) - Georgia, USA - MAY 28, 2002
Very good beer. Raisins and a slight coffeish note in the nose. Definite coffee and cream flavor mixed in with a little grapefruit/citrusy flavor from the hops. It actually leaves a bit of a sour aftertaste when it gets a little warmer. That does little to detract from the overall quality.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - MAY 24, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 7, 2003 Not much aroma, good malt taste, without a lot of hops. Murky dark brown color. A good brown ale, but I didn't like it as much as others seem to. Thanks PsychProf!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - MAY 8, 2002
I initially rated this beer 8/21/01 thus: ’Has a robust, shaggy body and a subtle smokiness appropriate to a beer made in the Northwoods. It’s the best Brown I know about and perfect for fall evenings around a campfire.’ Since then I’ve tried quite a few world class brews and thought my BRB rate could use a bit of a retouch. The thing is, this beer would hold its own anywhere; it’s just a delicious, delightfully well blended brown. Everytime I bring a new beer home my wife, brownalegirl, gets a sip. She usually says something like ’good, but no BRB’ and I used to think she was just not open enough to other brews. Now I’m better able to appreciate her fine judge of character. Gives me a bit of an ego that she long ago picked me, too, out of a crowd ...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
heykevin (1275) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - MAY 7, 2002
Initial thoughts, straight out of the fridge. Okay, allright, decent, but whats the big deal. Patience, Kevin, patience. Real nice, okay, goregous maltiness comes alive, plums and nuts, lacks the traditional ’brown’ flavor, which is a good thing as in is usually one-dimensional and overpowering. Nice, low carbonation just tickes the tongue. Hops are muted but are sufficient to provide balance. I am curious whether I would have been as patient with a lesser beer as I was with this one. Truly a brown ale of the highest quality. Thanks a ton PsychProf.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Aubrey (3431) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - MAY 6, 2002
Murky and mysterious. Smooth and soft up front; has a woodsy, hoppy bite in the finish. Hint of smoke, and maybe even burnt toast. Deceivingly light and very flavorful. Loved the roasty aroma that surfaces here and there; and not unlike a whale, you know it when it does. Also loved the hoppy bitterness in the aftertaste, which seems to meld effortlessly with the malts. I could happily drink quite a few of these in a row. Thanks Hennes!