overall
Brewed by Brand Bierbrouwerij (Heineken)
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Wijlre, Netherlands

RATINGS: 110   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.14   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
dirkbreedveld (288) - NETHERLANDS - JAN 19, 2002
classic winterbeer in the netherlands with it’s supreme palate. One of the best beer in Holland brewed by a major brewerie

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
TMB (1) - NETHERLANDS - FEB 8, 2014 does not count
Found one that expired 3 years ago.... No words to describe the unexpected joy.... If only I would remember the beer it reminded me off..

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
goozen (2875) - Leiden, NETHERLANDS - JAN 24, 2007
Tap in Maastricht: A long time no see. A orange amber coloured beer with a high alcohol thats very drinkable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DanBerg (59) - Alkmaar, NETHERLANDS - JAN 26, 2007
Very nice Belgian ale. I had about six of them at de Boom in Alkmaar. You won’t say that there’s 7,5% in it. Sweet and spicy. The aftertaste is great too. Will drink this more often.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
oberabcbbsok (687) - Hoboken, BELGIUM - JAN 21, 2008
Tap in Gauda. Very nice beer. I had also 3 bottles of previous beers last year. Sylvester from 84 till 87 still very nice but also stronger at that time 9 % and in 87 8%.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
kappldav123 (4705) - GERMANY - MAR 15, 2011
Bottle looks simple and a bit complex. Beer in the glass brown, red glimmer, nice head. Starts malty and very spicy, like chrismas spices, some cinnamon. Finish warming with a soft alcoholic touch, well balanced. I really liked it!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Sully (1377) - Potts Point, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA - DEC 13, 2004
Welcome back to life Sylvester. This is around a lot of localAmsterdam cafes and it is a welcome antidote to the cold. Very vinous with some cheery notes this is a very good beer. Excellent coppery colour and presentation in the glass promise a good beer which is not a disappointment. Great bitter blanace and fine aftertaste. A real alternative to a wine and this could be served at room temperature.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Borresteijn (4543) - Amsterdam, NETHERLANDS - AUG 14, 2008
On tap, last winter. Dark amber with a purple hue, creamy white head. Aroma of caramel sweetness and spice. Flavour is soft, sweet, christmas spice, bitter finish. Soft mouthfeel, very nice beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BlackHaddock (3485) - Shropshire, ENGLAND - OCT 29, 2012
22 Oct 2012 saw me, my wife and 26 other members of the CAMRA Investors club have a wonderful afternoon as guests of the brewery: after a film show and giuded tour of the brewery we adjourned to the tasting celler bar where we were given seven different brews to taste: I had plenty of each, this one being my favourite beer of the day. I like sweeter brews and this fitted my needs nicely: top fermented (unusual for Heineken) and out for Christmas each year. Rich amber body with a full head of tan coloured bubbles, it looks fine. The smell is caramel first and foremost with wild fruits of the forest adding to the fairly sweet nose. The taste is also semi-sweet with those caramel notes again being at the front: maybe a bit ’one dimensional’ in flavour, but I really liked it and made sure I had more than my fair share of this highly enjoyable winter brew before we had to leave.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Sissio (526) - Orsenigo, ITALY - DEC 25, 2013
Nice belgian strong ale. A lot of taste. nice caramel, toasted malts and a hint of nuts pleasent