overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 106   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 231   ABV: 7.7%
Brewed to drink long winter sessions of our favorite card game. Extensive dry hopping combined with a formidable malt bill creates the hoppiest beer in Redwood County!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Skyview (5269) - Papoose Jct, Minnesota, USA - FEB 7, 2009
On draught during Winterfest 2009 in St Paul, MN. Pours a clear copper amber brew with a creamy off-white head that slowly dissipates to a thin white head with spotty lacing. Aroma of roasted Belgian malt, some citrus and floral hops, a touch of mild herbs and some grapefruit. Taste is light to medium bodied, with flavors of roasted golden grain and caramel malts, lemon zest, a hint of floral hops and some light fruit. Finish is semi-dry with a mild citrus aftertaste that follows a sharp bitterness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
heemer77 (5109) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - MAY 6, 2009
Deep amber that is near copper with a light yellowish khaki head. Smells of grapefruit and sweet crystal malt are strong up front. There is also some pleasing dry straw. The taste has some bitter grapefruit peel and black pepper spice. The finish is fairly sweet with some toasted toffee. Wow, this is pretty much an IPA in my opinion. Good brew.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
mettkea (6) - Minnesota, USA - AUG 28, 2009 does not count
From a 12 oz bottle into a glass. Nice copperish color with a nice malty nose. The taste (like the aroma) started very malty but ended with a nice hop kick similar to an IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
allendodd (114) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 4, 2010
Pours a thin, slightly yellow head over a coppery-brown clear beer. Nose is a big malty sweetness that is tempered just enough with a floral hop that I was ready to like this before I tasted it. First trip over the lips was a big malty sweetness, followed by a dusty grain depth, followed by a slight hop bitterness. Maybe coming on the heels of a Furious is making me appreciate the malt flavors a bit more than I normally would in an apa, but Im liking this beer just fine. The finish is a bit sweet: there is a caramelized sugar flavor that lingers a bit long at the finish, but the beer is a keeper. Id serve this to a non-geek guest with confidence that I was giving them a treat and something that wouldnt turn them from craft beers. And Id drink it because I liked it as well. The last Brau Bros beer I offered to a guest was a Scotch Ale or Brown ale that was horribly infected. My guest turned up her nose at my offering and I had to apologize for the bad bottle. That experience left me reluctant to buy their beers, and this Sheep Head is reassuring me that they might be OK to serve.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrnkMcDermott (2835) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - JUL 23, 2010
12 oz. bottle from HyVee, Storm Lake, IA. My first encounter with these brewers. Sure, there was a pils and a dark ale on the shelves, but when you see "single batch series" on a label, thats what you gotta grab. Claims four "spicy" varieties of hops besides the dry-hopping. Pours a rich-looking amber color with a lot of bubbles at the start. Doesnt kick up much of a head. Smell says "pale ale" indeed, a bit more peppery and hoppy than malty. But the taste is pretty big. I get the impression of German hops, it seems, balanced by a little bit of American piny hops. Slight ale fruitiness noted in this hop-forward beer. Ends up with more malt in the finish.

dmschefke (570) - Macomb, Michigan, USA - AUG 6, 2011
Pours a nice amber with medium white head, decent lacing. Aroma strong of floral and citrus hops, nice sweet malt, and a bit of caramel and vanilla. Flavor matches well with a deep bitterness that is quite nice on the palate. Solid beer.

joechristenson (149) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - AUG 2, 2012
12 oz bottle at home. Aroma reminds me of a smokey Scotch . . . not what I expected, but I like it. No barn or sheep detected . . . mostly Scotchy malts and some grassy hops. Tastes nothing like Scotch . . . great malt/hop balance, though the hops come to dominate on the finish. Theyre a bit bossy for me to say this qualifies as a great balance, though since I love hops i"ll let it go. The hops have a nice taste -- a bit rustic, earthy, somewhat light but they pack some punch, too. Welterweight hops! Tasty -- Id love to buy this out on tap instead of Summit EPA any day. Heres to dreaming.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
esjaygee (3903) - Oak Creek, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 16, 2012
This brewery now has one of my least favorite named brews to one of my favorite named brews. College was just an excuse to play hours upon hours of Sheepshead two handed, three handed, lousy four handed and the Cadillac, five handed. I dont play as often as Id like to these days but when a game break outs Im ready to go. Murky mahogany with a quickly fadgin tan head that wastes into pond scum. Aroma of deep caramel, roasted malt, grains along with light floral and citrus hops. Tastes of caramel, light floral hops, citrus, nutty notes and mild bitterness.

madvike (2905) - Middleton, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 22, 2013
Bottle - Pours clear light amber with a foamy off-white head. Nose is lightly sweet toasted malt, lots of pine, herbal hops, and a bit of spicy grassiness. Taste is more dry toasted bread malt, herbal and pine hops, and a spicy, bitter, drying note on the finish. Some caramel and butterscotch notes, too. Smooth and creamy. This was a little dry for my tastes initially, but it grew on me as I worked my way through the bottle. Pretty good stuff.

cards04 (1847) - Steinbach, Manitoba, CANADA - NOV 7, 2013
I think this is a really nice APA. Aromas of soapy hops and caramel. Flavors are bitter and tangy citrus hops with a nice malty backbone. Very nice.