overall

RATINGS: 760   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.68   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.41%
Subtlety. That's what makes our Avalanche amber ale such a treat. We blend pale and caramel malts -- and just a kiss of bittering hops -- to create a refreshing-but-flavorful, any-time beer. Aromas of pale grains, a semi-sweet middle and a clean-as-Colorado-snow finish make this our best-selling beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - AUG 28, 2004
Golden color, good lacing. Aroma has some metallic, copper feel to it. Medium body. Taste is metallic and bitter. If there are hops, I canít find them. Just not coming together.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
VTHopHead (1511) - Barre, Vermont, USA - AUG 20, 2004
Bottle - Pours a reddish dark amber with a thin off-white head that quickly disappeared. Aroma is a little hard to describe ... not hops, not malt ... some sort of yeast, I guess. Flavor is slightly sweet and yeasty without much in the way of distinct malt or hops. Kind of a "meaty" taste. Finish is slightly bitter; I am assuming from hops, but not at all in the traditional hop way. Some yeast sourness in the aftertaste as well. I got this as a gift and its a good thing I only have one ... not particularly good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
wnp22 (685) - Toronto (Roncesvalles Village), Ontario, CANADA - AUG 9, 2004
Tasted in Keystone Colorado. Tasted at 9,156 ft above sea level. Tasted on draft in shaker. Pours orange / rust colour a bit on the darker side. Thin white head holds up weel in the glass. Aroma has some spice and sweetness to it. Flavour was somewhat muted and watered down, although it had a pretty good balance of bitterness and maltiness.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - AUG 6, 2004
Pours hazy amber...I am really struggling with aroma...smells like fresh cheddar cheese from Kraft...that conflicts me b/c lord knows I love me some cheese...taste is yeasty and malty...definately nutty...that draft version has a hint of raspberry which makes this a much more tolerable brew...this could be very drinkable if you are hanging out with friends and you drink only this...any other beer on your tongue makes this taste noxious...

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
TChrome (1418) - Bedford, Texas, USA - JUL 22, 2004
Nice looking beer, pours light copper color with a decently retained off white head. Aroma is really rather lacking. Not much of a malt aroma at all, just a hint of biscuit. The flavor is a somewhat like the aroma, just a touch of malty biscuit, but the finish is kind of flat and seems a bit off.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
BeerLimey (2154) - California, USA - JUL 17, 2004
Slightly hazed, dull copper hue, moderate head formation. Stinky malt nose, mild spice. Light malate, malty and spicy, mild caramel, but passes over a little too quickly.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
irishsnake (355) - Oakland, California, USA - JUN 25, 2004
pours a vaguely ugly hazy orange with a very short-lived head that leaves little lace. aroma hazy a prominent sulfury yeast charecter-almost a burnt-plastic smell. flavor a descent balance of malt and hops. finishes somewhat dry.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 8/20
AleDrinker (1089) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - JUN 21, 2004
Pours nice golden color with thick tan head. Large carbonation bubbles rise throughout. Aroma is very fresh, smells lighly of yeast. The carbonation on this one was so high I could barely taste it; mostly just carbonation bubbles attacking my tongue. The carbonation makes the beer so light, I wish there was a little more body to it. I detect some esters on both my tongue and nose, I wonder what kind of yeast they use. Not your typical amber ale. One Iím glad Iíve tried but would probably not have again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Kevin (2084) - New Mexico, USA - JUN 20, 2004
bottle. pours tan with a beige head. malt aroma is inviting. has a caramel toffee taste that is overpowered by a hoppy bitterness. leaves an almond flavor that is not pleasant. thanks to Lumpy for this bottle he brought back from the wastelands.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Lumpy (1802) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - JUN 18, 2004
Bottle. Pours amber with a thin head. The nose is strong of oatmeal. Not bad, bud not great. The first taste pulled out is oatmeal, and it overwhelms the secondary notes of alcohol and caramel. It tastes like an oatmeal stout without the oatmeal. I cannot think of any food I would pair this with and I didnít really like it on its own. But, it is worth a try. Who knows, you may like it.