overall

RATINGS: 1462   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Who would have thought deep in the jungles of Papua New Guinea and Madagascar grew the perfect ingredient to build an extraordinary Porter in Colorado? An ale that has all the chocolate and roasted nut flavor of a classic Porter, with an enigmatic surprise thrown in for good measure, real vanilla bean. Breckenridge Brewery’s Vanilla Porter. A vanilla kiss in a rich, dark sea.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
skoisirius (1908) - Earth, Washington, USA - FEB 13, 2008
12 oz bottles. Have sampled on tap once, and bottled around six times. I waited for almost 2 years before I finally saw some of this in my beer hunting. This pours a dark brown with a creamy tan white head. Aroma of light milk chocolate and vanilla. WOW - this one is SWEET, but oh soooo good. The vanilla flavors blend excellently with the light roast of the porter and the light chocolate hints in the background. Very creamy body. This is like desert. I love this beer (seems to me more than most)!!

dslunsford1 (55) - Hampton, Virginia, USA - FEB 12, 2008
I got this off the tap list just because I was "jonesing" for some skiing in this snow-less town. I smelled the vanilla coming off the top even before the waitress put it down. Very heavy and tasty, although not many people at my table liked it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
VitaminR (540) - Colorado, USA - FEB 10, 2008
Surprisingly had little nose. Dark brown with a hint of ruby. The vanilla is present, but almost tastes artificial? Not very complex, not very balanced, almost stale? Much better porters out there.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
amishcaravan (247) - Winona, Minnesota, USA - FEB 9, 2008
Purchased in Breckenridge sampler pack. Nice aroma of chocolate and vanilla. quickly disappearing head that turns into a white ring around the outside of the glass. Pours a dark brown. Taste is very smooth with taste of vanilla and chocolate. Aftertaste is quite pleasent as well. I would purchase this again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
keepersj12 (3062) - Sicklerville, New Jersey, USA - FEB 8, 2008
I guess I like this one a lot more than my peers. Aroma hints of the vanilla to come. Very dark with a large head. Taste is like a cream soda with malt. I was very impressed. I even let my wife try some.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
RblWthACoz (964) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - FEB 5, 2008
Pours dark brown. A thinner crème head doesn’t stick around long. Uneventful nose. Flavor is kind of tangy sweet, but not overpoweringly so. Thin, but good malt character. A bit too much of a sugar edge, but it’s not too bad. Feel is a bit thin on the liquid, but decent still. Minor carbonation. Not too bad a drinker. I could go for more than one, but this might be a good beer to pair with food. I am thinking hot wings or some kind of spicy lamb dish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
MaltOne (315) - Wisconsin, USA - FEB 4, 2008
A specialty beer - Not fair to compare this to a classic Porter - it doesn’t quite fit. Think of a vanilla ice cream float. Think something to serve with an intense chocolate cake. An after dinner drink. Kahlua as a beer. There should be a special category - remember Sam Adams Triple Bock (brewed with maple sugar). Great potential for a chef. Aroma is noticeably vanilla. Appearance - medium molasses color, brief pale head. Definately vanilla with a nice cakey background. Reminds of the classic Guiness chocolate cake. Overall pleasant if your ready for it, but if your expecting a classic Porter....

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
thill25 (232) - Orlando, Florida, USA - FEB 4, 2008
Pours a deep brown...w/ small tan head. Good lacing...Not much on the nose; I picked up vanilla, & roasted malt...Vanilla throughout the taste along with a touch of coffee and chocolate. Very sweet! A little too sweet IMHO. I was hoping for a little bite at the end of the palate, but no dice. Would pair well with dessert.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
StFun (567) - Indiana, USA - FEB 3, 2008
Crash and burn is the best way to describe this one. I LOVE Breckenridge’s Oatmeal Stout, and was really pumped for this one. Aroma is awesome; smells like a vanilla soda. Unfortunately, it kind of tastes like one as well. Image an A&W cream soda with alcohol in it. Same flavor, same stickiness, same carbonation. If that sounds like something you’d love, knock yourself out. As for me, if I want one of those, I’ll hit the soda machine.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
obxdude10 (2270) - Pottstown, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 3, 2008
Very dark brown in color, not much head but decent lacing left around the glass, didn’t get a whole lot from the nose, only a little toasted barley & a slight sweetness, the flavors though were very pronounced, the beer contained a lot of vanilla and cream flavors, with a slight hoppiness at the back end of the body, very smooth & light, which makes for easy drinking, the end of the flavors also provided a little milk chocolate & toasted malt, overall a very nice flavored porter