overall

RATINGS: 1309   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.25   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Who would have thought deep in the jungles of Papua New Guinea and Madagascar grew the perfect ingredient to build an extraordinary Porter in Colorado? An ale that has all the chocolate and roasted nut flavor of a classic Porter, with an enigmatic surprise thrown in for good measure, real vanilla bean. Breckenridge Brewery’s Vanilla Porter. A vanilla kiss in a rich, dark sea.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Terminus (3229) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - APR 10, 2006
bottle-mahogony red with a very small beige head. looks thin and light to be a porter really. big vanilla bean, char and chocolate notes emit from my glass. flavors are abundantly vanilla and taste somewhat artificial. body is very weak, lacking any real substance. very one dimensional and weak. Try again Breckenridge.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
HogTownHarry (6042) - Toronto (Harbourfront), Ontario, CANADA - JUN 18, 2006
Bottle (12oz). Shared with GregClow, my bottle. Deep ruby with a small tan foamy-rocky head. Smells like vanilla bean in alcohol, some sweet roast malt and a wee bit of perfumy hops. Taste of vanilla, vanilla extract, roast nutty malt (hint of cocoa) some slightly harsh bitterness on the finish. This is pretty syrupy - sort of like fountain soda syrup, a long sweet sticky finish. Way too much cloying vanilla and not much else here.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
bendz1 (87) - Ankeny, Iowa, USA - JAN 6, 2007
Not a great brew, but a good one to try. Hints of Chocolate and Coffee but dominataly vanilla flavored beer. Very dark in color with a tan head.

theisti (3182) - Leawood, Kansas, USA - JAN 30, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 20, 2009 Bottle. Aroma and taste are creamy vanilla. Vanilla is not overpowering, nicely blended in with the beer character. Overall, a very interesting drink, though I am not sure when I would have it again. If you like vanilla, try this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
PGA324 (86) - Savage, Minnesota, USA - FEB 9, 2007
Dissapointing, expected more vaniila flavor. Another average Breckenridge.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
jackson220 (136) - new lenox, Illinois, USA - FEB 28, 2007
Bottle. Poured black color with an average frothy off-white head that mostly diminished with so so lacing. Moderate roasted sweet malt and mega Vanllia aroma. Medium body with a creamy texture. sweet vanilla flavor with a light sweet finish of short duration. interesting idea....but my expectations were not met, needed more Pazaaazzz!!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
xmarcnolanx (929) - Kirkwood, Missouri, USA - FEB 28, 2007
I had heard great things about this beer before I tried it. Granted, I heard them from people who do not know that much about good beer, but still, you get my point. Wow, were they wrong. You might as well have just given me a vanilla been and told me to chew on that for awhile instead of having this beer. That is not to say that it is not well-crafted, it is for the most part, however there are issues in the body (thinness). My problem with the beer is that it tastes so much of vanilla that the nut and chocolate flavors get blown away and you are left with a vanilla bomb. If you have ever drank vanilla extract on accident you might know what I am talking about. If you liked it, then you should probably drink this beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
ogglethorp (917) - Ohio, USA - MAR 6, 2007
Tap. Pours dark brown with a decent sized tan colored head. Aroma is vanilla, roasted malts. Flavor is vanilla, some roasty malts, little else. Palate is medium to light, on the watery side, medium carbonation, vanilla-y finish. This is so one dimentional. Vanilla tastes almost like flavoring, not good.

holdenn (2078) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 14, 2007
12 oz bottle. Pours ruby brown in color with a tan head. Nose of definitely vanilla, brown sugar, and .. raisin bran flakes. It kinda tastes like rasin bran flakes too, chalky, vanilla, a little funky. There’s a touch of alcohol and spice in the back of my throat. Bah, i was right when I said I wouldn’ be having any good beers tonight.

strangaj (250) - West Chester, Ohio, USA - MAR 30, 2007
Fairly dark brown with red tin; still clear enough to be illuminated by light; tan head. Aroma does have a presence of vanilla to accompany the roast. Taste is actually medium-bodied andreflects the aroma but with a heavy maltiness. I have to say that I’m a bit disappointed with this beer. I was expecting a heavy vanilla flavor and almost creamy body. Unfortunately the vanilla flavoring was bland and wak and the body was too light. When I drink this beer I think about the potential it could have and it saddens me.