Bress Harcourt Valley Cider Bon Bon

Brewed by Bress - Mt Alexander Vineyard
Style: Cider
Harcourt, Vic, Australia

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 3.57/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.28   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
The cider has a lovely sweet creaminess and fullness which presents a range of flavours along the palate making this cider quite complex. The natural acidity balances the sweetness and gives this cider lovely length.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Stew41 (1736) - Woodend, AUSTRALIA - DEC 14, 2007
Packaged and priced like a top-flight cider bunt unfortunately the flavours and structure donít quite get it there. Glowing orange in the glass with a lemon hue washing through. Nose is lifted, sweet with apple concentrate, and well rounded out with a mineral, chalky edge. Flavours are dominated with sweet apple and tropical fruit. Plenty of hot acid runs through the back palate, driving a long, raspy, spicy and ginger finish. Not bad, but not in the class of Thorogoods. (note: may be a recipe change here as the ABV is now stated at 10%)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
ALLOVATE (2436) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - MAR 20, 2006
A surprisingly good cider I stored away for use on my anniversary. My wife was honest, it wasnít her thing and then, well, I showed a little reluctance before greedily and gleefully polishing off the remainder of the bottle by myself. Came to note after I questioned the boys at IBS for some more ciders. Told this was an average effort and I purchased it anyway. Glad I did. Poured into champagne flutes (how romantic!), chilled and on ice. Hazy lemon yellow in colour with the effervescence of champagne surging bubbles up the flute to die back to a ring of white bubbles on the meniscus. Everything about this cider contradicted itself starting with a strong and yet very pleasant, soft pulped cider apple nose with underlying hints of pears, cinnamon and overripe strawberries. It was quite delicate and subdued in the mouth. Nice rounded flavour of fresh, and I do mean fresh, pulped apples (captured the essence of ripe, real apples to perfection) that show a nice subtle and balanced sweetness before a gentle tang with a hint of peppery spice and some light yeasty, cheesy and vinous alcohol notes in the back that controlled the huge ABV with ease (sounds bad, tastes so damn good!). Light in body but soft on the tongue to give the illusion of something bigger. Geez, this was easy to drink. Finish was so clean, fresh and dry I just had to continue with the same momentum. I truly liked this one and after it was gone I cursed I didnít grab another bottle. For my own pleasure maybe!!! (75cL, Dates unknown, Intíl Beer Shop, W. Leederville)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
mullet (849) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - FEB 13, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 21, 2006 Sealed with a cork-lined crown cap - why?? Slightly hazy pale yellow, perhaps with a slight green-ish tinge. Apple crumble aroma, particularly the custard, quite a vivid peppery/lichen character like Saison de Pipaix which I really liked and some floral yeasty notes. The aroma actually reminds me of my í04 cider - could they be using Jonathons... or did I use Delicious? I forget... Nice subtle fruity sweetness without any obtrusive yeasty flavours. Balance seems to come from the carbonation more than anything. Itís definitely not sour or tart, though it is dry. Tannins arenít particularly evident but it seems like they must be there because it has a pretty good mouthfeel. It tastes quite alcoholic, but itís a pretty clean alcohol burn, if you can say that. I suppose there arenít too many higher alcohols, but I still found it quite distracting. Nice stuff, but more-or-less on par with my own cider efforts, and I donít charge $19 a bottle for mine.