overall
Brewed by Brew Moon Brewing Company
Style: Spice/Herb/Vegetable
Amberley, North Canterbury, New Zealand

RATINGS: 16   MEAN: 3.25/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Olé Molé - A culinary beer inspired by the famous Mexican dish Mole. This beer has lots of different spices including 3 different chillis and cocoa on a bock base to produce one balanced but very sexy Mexican!

Pdubyah's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Pdubyah (441) - Auckland, - JAN 9, 2013
This is like no other beer I’ve ever had, or even heard of. There is a an initial taste flavour that is sort of citrus and fruit, but it’s smashed into oblivion by a belt of hot chilli. Hot beer, who knew. The first flavours are still there, you get used to looking for them, the chilli heat is a thing to behold. Very good.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
GlassBrass440 (122) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - JAN 4, 2015
I find it’s best to keep an open mind with pepper beers. They very likely won’t be as good as a traditional beer in absolute terms (at least as absolute as something like taste can be). This beer proves no different. Not to say this is a bad beer. I quite like it. But I still find these to be novelty beers. Good for conversation, but difficult, if not impossible, to make truly excellent. The beer pours a cloudy brown with a quickly receding tan head. The aroma starts with traditional bock aromas of caramel and malt then moving to cinnamon. Backing is a raw vegetable aroma that, if I didn’t know there were chilis in it, I would have considered a flaw. Flavor is complex with cinnamon, dark cocoa powder, and caramel. The beer finishes with a fair amount of heat from the chilis that warms from the middle of the tongue all the way to the stomach. Medium body and carbonation. The sweetness that typically lingers in a bock is tamed by the spicy heat in a delicate tango. A good pepper beer? Yes. But as alluded to earlier, I’d prefer a traditional bock.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
beer-yum (655) - Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - OCT 12, 2014
A chilli beer that manages to balance the headline spice with a hint of cinnamon. The overall effect is better than the parts and expectations.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
stuvetnz (9) - - AUG 29, 2014 does not count
Draft from dodson street. Have driven past the brewery heaps of times, but never stopped in. Interesting spicy aroma. Pours with very little head, in a deep reddy brown. Instant chilli hit, that lingers for ages. Great sipping beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
Lewyh (1) - NEW ZEALAND - AUG 11, 2014 does not count
Colour - looks like river water Texture matches the colour Definitely ranks with one of the worst beers I’ve ever bought. I certainly agree with another reviewer who wrote that he wishes this wasn’t the first beer he bought from this brewery. finally, the labels says that it’s a Bock style on the side, but a Mexican style on the front. Unfortunately there are a lot of NZ brewers that aren’t cultured enough to know what the styles they list actually mean. If you’re going to buy an NZ beer, make it an IPA - it’s what we excel at (perhaps due to the fact NZ is a colonial country! :) ), though I wish we could make other styles as well as our IPAs. Ole Mole is like a homebrew experiment gone wrong - I know this because I’ve made enough of them! Don’t buy this beer. I signed up to this website just to share this message.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Cantabrian (886) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - MAR 30, 2014
Interesting beer. It does taste like mole, which is good as it delivers what it promises, but it is also bad, as mole is not particularly nice. When I tried mole for the first time, I wish it had a lot more chocolate. Same for this beer. High on the chili, just too herbal chili. Very different concoction, muddy brown, interesting flavour, but the taste buds beg for more chocolate. I wish they fixed it, as it is a brave endeavour of the brewer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
trentacle (2) - NEW ZEALAND - MAR 26, 2014 does not count
Positives: Taste; Opacity; Taste; Mouthfeel; Taste; Label information; Tastes like no other Negatives: Musty; Tacky picture on label

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Brodies_Best (262) - Auckland Central, NEW ZEALAND - NOV 14, 2013
500 ml bottle pours amber orange with slight tan head. Aroma is, cereal, bread. Taste is of churros and chilli. Aftertaste is of caramel and the chilli lingers. Nice and balanced

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Travlr (13679) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - AUG 14, 2013
Draft at Beervana. Hazy bright amber color, flat. Aroma of rich cocoa and pepper flesh. Taste is hot, sweet caramel. Given its name, I expected a bit more chocolate flavors. I would dial down the pepper flakes, increase the chocolate malt, and let the subtle pepper flavor melt with the chocolate.

1.3
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
NorthlandBrewr (10) - - AUG 9, 2013
Really wish this wasn’t the first beer I had tried from this brewery. I have no doubt there others are better. But I really don’t care for this beer. I get no aroma or taste of chocolate, as other reviews have suggested. I do get pepper in the aroma but it’s quite sour, nearly like cheese. The beer is quite hazy and all I really get from the flavor is the spicy peppers. A spicy beer would have been nice in a much chocolatier beer with a touch of sweet. But I’m not getting any of that here. The only thing I do like about the beer is the heat, but there is not enough going on here to compliment or balance it out.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
Geoserge (1) - NEW ZEALAND - AUG 3, 2013 does not count
I tried this without knowing what it was. Chili’s don’t go down do well with me. However my partner is enjoying it and it had written her up.If you like you’re spicy beer this may be the beer for you. Just not me