Brewaucracy Punkin Image Ltd.

Brewaucracy Punkin Image Ltd.
     click to upload

Brewaucracy
Brewed at Liberty Brewing Co

Style: Spice/Herb/Vegetable
Matangi, New Zealand

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 4.3/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 22   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
A silly punk reference wrapped around a tribute to a much admired beer.
Since neither John Lydon (Sex Pistols, Public Image Ltd), nor Sam Calagione (Dogfish Head brewery) would ever dream of being so unoriginal as to release a copy of someone elseís work, weíll stick to being inspired and offering up an homage. Dogfish Headís Punkin is an excellent example of a particularly North American beer style, usually released to coincide with Halloween and the Thanksgiving season. Since we donít really do that sort of thing in New Zealand, we figured weíd bring a little of that festive mood to the New Zealand spring!
Punkin Image Ltd is a smoothly integrated blend of four "pumpkin pie spices" baked into a pie crust of rich malt complexity, and filled with spicy European hops and, of course, roast pumpkin! The pumpkin is subtle, but we find it nicely binds everything together. Try this beer with a slice of actual Pumpkin Pie for a real flavour explosion.
When Punkin Image Ltd made itís debut, it was the one of the first such beers released in New Zealand (predated only by the Mussel Inn Happy Jackal, of which we were unaware until recently, but is apparently a cracking beer). It has since been joined by quite a few. Weíre not really the trendsetter types, but we are stoked that our beer now has great company for Halloween! Try them all, but try ours first!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
kempicus (343) - Bakewell, Derbyshire, ENGLAND - AUG 19, 2011
Happy days, got sent this from NZ in a íMussí bottle, was tempted to open this with a fish slice but refrained...my first pumpkin beer too so itís all excitement at my house! Pours a lovely copper hue with a volumous off white head, before i start blabbing on about aromas and flavours and all that shite iíve gotta say that on the face of it a 6.8%, 22ibu, spiced pumpkin beer didnít really rattle my tree...oh how wrong was I! Aroma, pleasantly spicy, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove? In the mouth itís full and caramelly with a lovely, well integrated roasted pumpkin/spice combo. The good thing about the spices is that theyíre not overdone, cinnamon can be a nightmare but these are perfect, they enhance but do not overpower. Hereís me assuming cinnamon again but i could be wrong, iím not the best at picking spices! My favourite thing about this beer is the aftertaste...have i just eaten a plate of roasted pumpkin? It certainly tastes like that! Briliant and delicious! My next two NZ beers have a lot to live up to!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
samo83 (11) - NEW ZEALAND - JUN 23, 2011
Very tasty sessionable winter ale, clear amber appearance, medium sweetness with light hoppy notes. Just right on the palate with a nice medium body. Just the right level of pumpkin and spice to let you that it is there but not in your face. Aroma is hard to place, pleasant and subtle roasty pumpkin with a nice combination of spice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
joKing (11) - NEW ZEALAND - JUN 21, 2011
I take great pleasure in rating this beer. Iíve never been a fan of spiced beers - you have to understand that in my opinion... if you canít get it to taste right with the proper ingridients... i.e. Malt, Hops, Yeast and Water - then you must be doing someting wrong. Well - this beer dispells that opinion. Itís really easy drinking. Itís complex yet subtle. Itís really well balanced. Itís a lovely seasonal beer.. one that I wish I could have more of.