Brewaucracy Smoko

Brewed at Shunters Yard Brewery

Style: Smoked
Matangi, New Zealand

RATINGS: 6   MEAN: 3.52/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.13   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
The good old kiwi Smoko. Idleness! Indolence! Actually, we’re a little envious. If we ever took a break, we’d do it with a bacon sandwich and a beer. If only we could combine the two... Smoko is our take on a Bamberg-style Rauchbier (literally "smoked beer"). Beechwood smoked malt gives a bacon-on-bread flavour, smoothed and integrated by 6 weeks of lagering, while the zesty European hops provide a zingy and refreshing bitterness to help wash down that tasty treat. Enjoy while shirking responsibility.

Jimthechap's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
Jimthechap (1792) - Christchurch, - MAY 11, 2013
Clear deep red to mahogany in colour with a good finger of cream coloured head that left some good lace. So a quick sniff says that it is smoky. The inner geek cries, yes but what sort of smoke! So in order to feed the nerd, there is maple smoke, manuka bark and burnt caramel. Throw in woody char and you’ve got it. I’m not too sure about beech smoke though. I could be extremely wrong and it uses nothing but Bamberg beech smoked malt but it has every aroma of a dry manuka log thrown on a fire. This is an aroma I am much more au fait with. I do like it though. A lot. In the mouth there is a lightish body with plenty of coarse carbonation. Aside from smoked bacon and woody smokiness, there is a slightly soapy character toward the front of the tongue. It isn’t off-putting but I doubt I would have two in a row due to sensory overload anyway. Did I like this beer? Absolutely. A perfect partner for some cold ham or charcuterie and some creamy cheese. Black cherry on the finish makes this beer all the more enticing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
3fourths (8238) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JAN 20, 2014
Woody and nutty first impression gives way to more animal fat / pork skin meatiness from the smoke, almost like bacon but without the recognizable charred meat and salt character. Yeast gives it some cream / milk notes and there’s a mild off-note of makeup powder. Malt sugars provide burnt plum and cola notes, and there’s a swelling note of game-y rosemary and metal / iron which comes across a bit like elk meat. Medium body, low bitterness, mildly ashy and astringent roast and char, medium+ sweetness. The aroma is interesting and there’s a lot of different smells to find, so it’s complex but complicated, and doesn’t give me any sense of wonder. Overall it has some potential but I would like to see it cleaned up some.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Travlr (13492) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - AUG 3, 2013
Batch 1 and batch 2 tasted side by side, courtesy of Greig and Alex, thanks! Both are clear dark ruby amber color, and batch 1 is much more lively. Both have a nice aroma of subtle smoke and crispy burnt wood. Batch 1 has a sweeter taste, but both are nice balanced, subtle and smooth. Very tasty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
omega (724) - NEW ZEALAND - MAY 18, 2013
A beer from the Tron - very dubious! No surprises that they have a beer for slacking off. Actually didn’t mind the beer. Not overly full on the palate and poured a little like the Waikato (mucky brown). Not really a quaffer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
lisagirl (264) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - MAY 7, 2013
nothing to this except smoked salmon and bacon. so much smoke. a bit much to be brilliant but its quite great anyway.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Pdubyah (423) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - MAY 2, 2013
Smoko is our take on a Bamberg-style Rauchbier (literally "smoked beer"). Beechwood smoked malt gives a bacon-on-bread flavour, while the zesty European hops provide a zingy and refreshing bitterness to help wash down that tasty treat I didn’t get "Zesty" or "Bacon" but I got a dark beer that I wasn’t expecting that has a decent smoke aroma, and a beer that has a decent smoke taste, but no a lot to back it with. But I did have a nice beer :-)