Brewed by BrewDog
Style: Imperial IPA
Ellon, Aberdeenshire, Scotland

RATINGS: 414   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.4/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 1230   ABV: 41%
Sink the Bismarck! is beer, amplified. With the volume turned full up, it is important you that you be careful with this beer and show it the same amount of sceptical, tentative respect you would show an international chess superstar, clown or gypsy. Sink the Bismarck is a quadruple IPA that contains four times the hops, four times the bitterness and frozen four times to create at a staggering 41% ABV. This is IPA amplified, the most evocative style of the craft beer resistance with the volume cranked off the scale. Kettle hopped, dry hopped then freeze hopped for a deep fruit, resinous and spicy aroma. A full out attack on your taste-buds ensues as the incredibly smooth liquid delivers a crescendo of malt, sweet honey, hop oils and a torpedo of hop bitterness which lasts and lasts.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Rob_D_UK (1295) - Surrey, ENGLAND - MAY 11, 2013
Clear amber - no head. High hoppy, resin, citrus, grape fruity, caramel, light nutty, light malty sweetness, high alcoholic, acetone, sharpness, chlorid, swømmehal, unbalanced.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Cirrhosis (1281) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - JAN 19, 2013
It is time......... To Sink the Bismark..... time to get wasted. Glowing brown hints of orange no cap are we suprised? Aroma is awsome so strong..... toffee, soya, nostrils are burning in a good way. This beer leaves massive legs. Wow what did I taste. Big hot flavour. Hops maybe but not really. Big malt carmel, I can taste alcholol but really are we suprised. This way better then expected, its drinkable. Soya burnt sugar, warmth. IIPA no....... big massive barly wine yes. I like this alot.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
bobinlondon (1263) - Harrow, Greater London, ENGLAND - FEB 21, 2010
Now, there I was, strolling through Southwark, late on Friday night, when I chanced upon a large gathering of ’street community’ types, loitering and merrily drunk on the fringe of Borough Market. I was rather surprised to encounter an unsavoury crowd like this, in such an upmarket area, but on closer inspection it seemed that they were using a door adjacent to a public house to gain access to what I assumed to be some kind of soup kitchen. Being extremely cold and hungry myself, I saw no harm in joining the queue to this admirably charitable venture. Once through the door and up a steep flight of stairs, I was greeted by a jovial but rather intoxicated Scot, proudly sporting a blue tartan shirt. To my horror, he produced a drinks tray filled with small measures of what appeared to be some form of spirit! Then, in a broad Glaswegian accent (so prevalent amongst these types) he started some inane gibber about how the Bismarck was sunk by nuclear penguins (or words to that effect). I thought it best to humour him and accepted the drink, but beat a hasty retreat when he then started ranting something about enjoying his latest Hardcore release! Once safely outside again, I rather enjoyed the drink that he had given me. It was certainly a warming beverage and quite unlike anything that I have previously tried. It had elements of both beer and spirits but it’s rather oily, almost medicinal quality drew me to the conclusion that it must have been something along the lines of a Methadone type treatment for alcoholics. What I had witnessed was obviously a pilot scheme, as a camera man later appeared and proceeded to interview some of the red nosed guinea pigs. Word on the Street was that this drink is currently changing hands at about £40 for a small bottle! Delicious as it may be, I for one, will be waiting until it is available on the NHS. Ok, the above may have been what I told my wife, but in reality, contrary to my honest expectations, Sink THe Bismarck is certainly no joke (or gimmick). My main reason for visiting the Rake on Friday was to try the latest batch of Hardcore IPA and catch up on RB banter. I wasn’t expecting to particularly enjoy an "Uber Eis Viermal Indische Helles Altbier" but was nevertheless curious to try some. THANK GOD I DID! I’ll leave it to the experts for more eloquent deScriptions of what an incredible achievement this beer represents. Yes, it definitely IS beer. An incredibly concentrated one, but with sublime balance and depth. A small sip of this from a hip flask would leave you with the lasting hop aftertaste of several pints good IPA. A tiny drop of it on your pillow would surely promote the sweetest dreams. I am a little sceptical about the alleged strength and am keen to hear if anyone has tested it’s flammability yet!. It’s very difficult to rate as I am not aware of anything remotely comparable. If dispensed quickly from a syringe into the glass to create a head, it could well stretch to a perfect 5! Head apart, all that it needs is another, less daft name. Something more snappy and a little less likely to hinder certain export markets.. Brauhund Uberhopfenblitzkriegbier for example?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
SimplySike (1250) - The Hague, NETHERLANDS - MAR 29, 2014
UPDATED: MAR 30, 2014 33cl. Bottle.
Poors clear dark ruby, no head.
Aroma port, malt, alcohol, toffee, chocolate, raisins.
Taste alcohol, some sweets, really harsh alcohol bitter.
Mouthfeel oily.
Bottle was old so not sure how reliable this rating is.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
patrickfannon (1242) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 3, 2011
Bottle. 2 oz sample courtesy of my good buddy Simon. Thanks Seeemoone. Split with Simon, Vinnie, and Sean. Das Juden. Pours out scotchy brownish maroon witth abosluely no head, no lacing, and no carbonation. Aroma is incredibly dense and smooth, with warm boozy notes arising accompanied by peaty scotch, oak, tangy citrus fruits, apricots, peaches, and subtle notes of honey and mead. Medium bodied, surprisingly loose and roomy, enjoyably warm, spicy, and playful on the tongue. The palate is slightly sticky and chewy, but not as much as one would expect of a 41% quadruple IPA. The flavors are primarily centralized around the booze, with subtle whiskey, oaky, and citrusy notes swirling on the front of the tongue, while an intense, cinnamony heat pervades the incredibley hot finish. This beer was way, way better than I ever imgagined it could be. Fucking hats off to these crazy fuckers for making such a cool beer. Cheers/

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Maris (1226) - Canberra, AUSTRALIA - MAR 5, 2013
UPDATED: MAR 7, 2013 From a 330ml bottle on 5/3/2013, courtesy of my wonderful wife who got this for me for Xmas. Pours a slightly cloudy light amber with no head. Has a huge DIPA aroma with lashings of caramel and toffee, just shading the resiny hops. There’s definite DIPA character in the flavour, with caramel, citrus fruit and pine, but the experience is dominated by an overpowering spicy, peppery finish. The texture is relatively oily and the carbonation higher than I was expecting, though perhaps I’m confusing the alcoholic tang for bubbles! As one would expect, this is a ridiculously intense experience, but perhaps just a shade harsh to be really enjoyable. Props to BrewDog for making something that actually presents as a mega supercharged version of the style, but it could use more a little more balance (some more sweetness in particular). Glad to have tried it, but I thought Tactical Nuclear Penguin was a better, more enjoyable extreme brew.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
GBZ59 (1211) - BARCELONA (Catalonia), SPAIN - AUG 26, 2012
Botella de 330ml (Regalo de Navidad de mi mujer). Vaso de Chupito. (Antiguas notas). Color ámbar profundo y apariencia nublada. Aromas y sabores muy intensos. Me gusta el Ron y esta cerveza se comporta igual. Suave entrada seguida de una ardiente y potente explosión en boca. Sorprendente cuerpo ligero pero que, tras algunos sorbos, te deja con sensación de llevar toda la tarde bebiendo cerveza. Sabe como una cerveza con aromas y sabores amplificados. Espuma prácticamente inexistente pero con carbonatación maestra: la he tomado en varios días, tras las cenas, y debo decir que cada vez que la abría, hacia “pop”. Una experiencia increíble. Perfecto maridaje con pastas de té, galletas de mantequilla y roscos de anís. 330ml bottle (Xmas gift from my wife). Spirit glass. From my notes. Deep amber color, foggy appearance. Very strong flavors & aromas. I love rhum, well, it performs like ir does. Smooth upfront then a burning big bang in mouth. Amazing light body but, after some drop, it makes you feel like being drinking beer for hours. Tastes as an amplified flavor & aroma beer. Nearly unexisting froth but master carbonation.: I had have it after diners for several days & I have to say that everytime I opened it, it sounded “pop”. Incredible drinking experience. Perfect pairing with butter & anise cookies.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
beerfest5 (1206) - Cloneen, IRELAND - FEB 8, 2011
WOW!!!! I really didnt expect this to taste like a beer after sampling sam adams utopias which tastes like a brandy. If someone handed to me and said it was a new DIPA from Brewdog but didnt say it was 41%, I wouldnt know until I was on the floor. Thank you to my lovely cool wife for getting me a 12oz beer for $100 against her better judgement. Poured into a snifter, amber color, and smells as most DIPA’s do, citrus, floral, hoppy. Tastes is complex hops, definitely the abv comes through, difficult to make it disapear. very enjoyable and for someone who is sick of the imperials and crazy abv beers out there, this was an experience ill never forget.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
JoeTheYounger (1173) - Lake Arrowhead, California, USA - AUG 14, 2011
Crazy aroma. Aroma isis Tons of hops almost like hop oil. Taste is super hot alcohol with a malt and hop finish. Almost like pure octane with a nice hop finish. Better than I expected.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
kkearn (1165) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 19, 2010
Sample from bottle, at pre-ZBF March 5th, 2010. Pours orange-amber, topped with a minimal head of off white bubbles. Fairly intense earth hop aroma, with notes of orange rind, whiskey, and plenty of alcohol. Flavor is super hoppy as well, coating the palate with earthy resin. There is some overripe fruit, as well as herbal and nutty notes in the background, but the flavor is still heavily hop focused. This is quite warming, with a good amount of alcohol burn. Thick, viscous mouthfeel. Finishes with earthy hops, menthol, and alcohol. This was better than I expected, but I enjoyed the Tactical Nuclear Penguin a bit more.