overall
Brewed by BrewDog
Style: Imperial/Double IPA
Ellon, Aberdeenshire, Scotland

RATINGS: 358   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.38   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 1230   ABV: 41%
Sink the Bismarck! is beer, amplified. With the volume turned full up, it is important you that you be careful with this beer and show it the same amount of sceptical, tentative respect you would show an international chess superstar, clown or gypsy. Sink the Bismarck is a quadruple IPA that contains four times the hops, four times the bitterness and frozen four times to create at a staggering 41% ABV. This is IPA amplified, the most evocative style of the craft beer resistance with the volume cranked off the scale. Kettle hopped, dry hopped then freeze hopped for a deep fruit, resinous and spicy aroma. A full out attack on your taste-buds ensues as the incredibly smooth liquid delivers a crescendo of malt, sweet honey, hop oils and a torpedo of hop bitterness which lasts and lasts.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
renffisch (808) - london, Greater London, ENGLAND - DEC 28, 2010
Bottle for Christmas from my uncle! (loveliest ever!) This stuff looks like oily pondwater, smells of botanical disinfectant with a bit of sour milky yeast. But is bz far one of the loveliest liquids to ever touch mz lips. But then i am a complete nutter who loves hops. DEVINE MADNESS

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
bobinlondon (1256) - Harrow, Greater London, ENGLAND - FEB 21, 2010
Now, there I was, strolling through Southwark, late on Friday night, when I chanced upon a large gathering of ’street community’ types, loitering and merrily drunk on the fringe of Borough Market. I was rather surprised to encounter an unsavoury crowd like this, in such an upmarket area, but on closer inspection it seemed that they were using a door adjacent to a public house to gain access to what I assumed to be some kind of soup kitchen. Being extremely cold and hungry myself, I saw no harm in joining the queue to this admirably charitable venture. Once through the door and up a steep flight of stairs, I was greeted by a jovial but rather intoxicated Scot, proudly sporting a blue tartan shirt. To my horror, he produced a drinks tray filled with small measures of what appeared to be some form of spirit! Then, in a broad Glaswegian accent (so prevalent amongst these types) he started some inane gibber about how the Bismarck was sunk by nuclear penguins (or words to that effect). I thought it best to humour him and accepted the drink, but beat a hasty retreat when he then started ranting something about enjoying his latest Hardcore release! Once safely outside again, I rather enjoyed the drink that he had given me. It was certainly a warming beverage and quite unlike anything that I have previously tried. It had elements of both beer and spirits but it’s rather oily, almost medicinal quality drew me to the conclusion that it must have been something along the lines of a Methadone type treatment for alcoholics. What I had witnessed was obviously a pilot scheme, as a camera man later appeared and proceeded to interview some of the red nosed guinea pigs. Word on the Street was that this drink is currently changing hands at about £40 for a small bottle! Delicious as it may be, I for one, will be waiting until it is available on the NHS. Ok, the above may have been what I told my wife, but in reality, contrary to my honest expectations, Sink THe Bismarck is certainly no joke (or gimmick). My main reason for visiting the Rake on Friday was to try the latest batch of Hardcore IPA and catch up on RB banter. I wasn’t expecting to particularly enjoy an "Uber Eis Viermal Indische Helles Altbier" but was nevertheless curious to try some. THANK GOD I DID! I’ll leave it to the experts for more eloquent descriptions of what an incredible achievement this beer represents. Yes, it definitely IS beer. An incredibly concentrated one, but with sublime balance and depth. A small sip of this from a hip flask would leave you with the lasting hop aftertaste of several pints good IPA. A tiny drop of it on your pillow would surely promote the sweetest dreams. I am a little sceptical about the alleged strength and am keen to hear if anyone has tested it’s flammability yet!. It’s very difficult to rate as I am not aware of anything remotely comparable. If dispensed quickly from a syringe into the glass to create a head, it could well stretch to a perfect 5! Head apart, all that it needs is another, less daft name. Something more snappy and a little less likely to hinder certain export markets.. Brauhund Uberhopfenblitzkriegbier for example?

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
darkguardian (725) - Florida, USA - MAY 13, 2010
12oz bottle. What an achievement. I guess I can see how some wouldn’t like this. Its definitely boozy but when you consider its 41% abv its actually incredibly well hidden and very tasty. Pours deep deep amber with carbonation! I wasn’t expecting that. Light off white head that settles quickly. If you stick your nose way down in all you get is alcohol. If you pull up a little you get huge huge aromas of citrus and pine. Huge peach and apricot note in this beer that dominates over the usual orange and tangerine/grapefruit notes. Of course noticable booze on the nose. Flavor is huge bitterness up front. How the hell did they manage this? It unlike 120minute IPA is actually bitter which really shouldn’t be possible with this much ABV. Actual citrus and pine mesh with a boozy brandy like liquer note. Finishes with warming alcohol and bitterness that lingers literally for hours. 5 beers later (and I’m talking imperial stouts and sours) the bitterness still was lingering. I gave this beer a 20 overall because an achievement like this deserves praise and recognition. This is a totally unique beer. There is literally nothing like it. I will be buying another to see what this beer becomes once the hops fade away.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
thedm (4935) - Fort Wayne, USA - JUN 16, 2010
This bottled brew from the UK brewery marked batch -2- best before 18/03/20 with UPC 5 060154 910803 came in a brown paper bag marked 41% with a white pull string cord. After undressing it and pouring it into a snifter, it formed a small sized head of clear colored bubbles that were quickly diminishing and left behind a very softly carbonated transparent light brown colored body wit a pink hue and an oily lacing. The strong aroma was vinous, complex, medicinal and much like a Sam Adams Utopias or Millennium ale . The mouth feel was weakly tingly at the start and strongly tingly at the finish with a WHAM BAM!!! strongly vinous burning alcohol aftertaste. The strongly vinous lingering alcohol flavor contained notes of strong alcohol and vinous malt hop notes. Definitely a palate ruiner! One sip and my mouth still burns. Vinous out the ying yang. Quite the sipper it was. There is nothing else like it that I have ever tasted. Perhaps the Schorschbrau might be similar at 43%. Quite the novelty until the 43% Schorschbrau came out. A wonderful best in class brew.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
GBZ59 (1116) - BARCELONA (Catalonia), SPAIN - AUG 26, 2012
Botella de 330ml (Regalo de Navidad de mi mujer). Vaso de Chupito. (Antiguas notas). Color ámbar profundo y apariencia nublada. Aromas y sabores muy intensos. Me gusta el Ron y esta cerveza se comporta igual. Suave entrada seguida de una ardiente y potente explosión en boca. Sorprendente cuerpo ligero pero que, tras algunos sorbos, te deja con sensación de llevar toda la tarde bebiendo cerveza. Sabe como una cerveza con aromas y sabores amplificados. Espuma prácticamente inexistente pero con carbonatación maestra: la he tomado en varios días, tras las cenas, y debo decir que cada vez que la abría, hacia “pop”. Una experiencia increíble. Perfecto maridaje con pastas de té, galletas de mantequilla y roscos de anís. 330ml bottle (Xmas gift from my wife). Spirit glass. From my notes. Deep amber color, foggy appearance. Very strong flavors & aromas. I love rhum, well, it performs like ir does. Smooth upfront then a burning big bang in mouth. Amazing light body but, after some drop, it makes you feel like being drinking beer for hours. Tastes as an amplified flavor & aroma beer. Nearly unexisting froth but master carbonation.: I had have it after diners for several days & I have to say that everytime I opened it, it sounded “pop”. Incredible drinking experience. Perfect pairing with butter & anise cookies.

DonMagi (5596) - bantervile, Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - FEB 21, 2010
Bottle at the free sink the bismark tasting at the rake. Im going to rate this fully rather than just alround experiance. Aroma is incredible, massive hops, very piney, citrus, lychee and tangerine, some underlying toffee malt, but its probably the hoppiest thing iv ever smelt. Lightly hazy apperance. Taste is huge, intencly bitter, piney, citrusy, toffee/caramel malt, big peppery hop/alcohol hit. The finish i timed at over 10 mins, i started drinking something else so couldnt say how long, but seriously the longest finish iv ever experianced, dry, massively bitter and fresh hop bite. Perfect mouthfeel for the type of drink. Overall its an absolutly blasting drink, the best drinking experiance iv had in about a year. High 5, chin chin!

hankchinaski (14) - Florida, USA - SEP 17, 2010
The first super high gravity beer I’ve had that actually tasted like beer. Massive hops on the nose, orange, grapefruit and peach come through. You defiantly get the alcohol but it doesn’t overwhelm the overall flavor which has brandy like tones with serious bittering and flavor hops.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
hiphops (286) - caldwell, New Jersey, USA - JAN 30, 2011
wow $120!! tastes like bearded fire. look likes copper with hints of rich mahagony tracing through. first things first this smells like pine tar and gasoline. its think and rolls around in the glass. hints of god’s vagina on the palate mixed with satans hairy grundle.

hebra78 (5) - NORWAY - MAY 25, 2011 does not count
I waited two months to get this beer delivered. And including taxes and shipping this bottle of beer cost me about 500 Norwegian Kroner, or about $ 95. It was totally worth it. My tasting of this beer has been from both sherry and cognac glass, and both after drinking other beers, and by itself. The alcohol content of this beer is 41 % abv, which makes it the strongest commercially available beer ever produced. More often than not, strong beer is not very good. Strong lagers like Carlsberg Elephant or Tennants Super reek and taste of alcohol, and are not very pleasant. This is not at all the case with Sink The Bismarck. Of course you can smell alcohol, but the incredibly dense hoppy aroma is full of fruits and flowers. It smells very good indeed. The taste really packs a punch, both in terms of heat and flavors, as this is a very intense IPA. Brewdog have used four times the hops of ordinary IPA, and then frozen the beer to remove water, to get the wanted abv, so the flavors are very powerful. Apricot, strawberries, passion fruit and sweetness is present together with hints of wood. The aftertaste is long, with pleasant warmth and bitterness. If you are fond of beer, and enjoy different types, you should try this one. I am already considering purchase of another bottle, even though it is very expensive.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MesandSim (7119) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - MAR 13, 2010
A Mes rate: bottle at the Rake tasting session.
I drank rather too much of this, and as a result it kicked my arse quite heavily. Thankfully, my notes are from early on when I was still compus mentus. A very attractive hazy orange brown colour, obviously no head but there were lots of hop leaf floaters. Aroma is just the most amazing blend of hops, cheese and alcohol you could possibly imagine. Bugger me, it’s just sublime. Sod it, I’d had it down as a nine but it’s clearly a ten. I simply can not describe how good this smells. You really have no idea. Citrus from the Amarillo comes through in droves, cheese of the highest quality, I’ve never had such amazingly funky hops in my life. In fact, this is certainly the most challenging snout I have experienced. There is some faint boozy sweetness but no where near as much as I was expecting. The fruit of the malt shows through really well too. Basically it’s about as good a smelling beer as the world has ever been blessed with in my opinion. This all follows on into the mouth almost effortlessly. Huge cheese and funk, massive sweetness and booze but somehow the insane amount of hops just about holds it in check. There is something quite toasty about it too. Liquid sugar but ooooooooh so fucking good. There is just so much going on and I’m gobsmacked it’s not all over taken by the booze. The hops, the hops, MY GOD the HOPS!!! One of the best and certainly the maddest beers I’ve ever had. Intensity is through the roof. BrewDog I love you.