overall
Brewed by BrewDog
Style: Imperial Stout
Ellon, Aberdeenshire, Scotland

RATINGS: 547   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.34/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 960   ABV: 32%
Brewdog paradox which was aged for 9 months in a speyside cask then 9 months in a smokehead cask, then taken to an icecream factory and frozen over the course of 2 weeks, then the non frozen liquid was drained off. Came out at 32% and at time of release was the strongest beer in the world.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
badgerben (4824) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - JAN 1, 2011
Thanks again to a great coworker for sharing this and Bismarck! Black color with a very small head. Monster rum, molases and raisin aroma. Quite boozy smelling. Very similar flavor. Added some more dark fruits, maybe prune. Light barrel char. Quite sweet. Seems like a hot port. Oddly enough, I think I like the Bismarck a bit better and as insane as this sounds, that one might have been more "balanced". Still, enjoyable and glad I got to try it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
danielcurtis81 (1519) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 31, 2010
Sampled sipped thanks to Mike at OTM. I usually wouldn’t rate such a small sample but at 32% and about $100 I’m gonna call it good enough since I feel I got a failry good evaluation of the brew. The appearance is a carmel/chocolate flowing brown color. Almost a tawny hue I guess. The aromas are mostly alcohol with a lot of whiskey profile. The entry is heavy roasted malts and whiskey a very nice start. The middle quickly turns into a soy sauce which slowly leads to a solid dark fruit prune juice notes. The finish starts smoky but it mellows into a whiskey barrel graininess that just keeps going. Like liking the inside of a spent barrel. The mouth is very full bodied hot but not as much as I expected (at least with the small sample). Overall better then I was expecting. I could see this potentially aging into something pretty nice. Although I’ll have to say it is no where worth the price tag for a full bottle. Hopefully I can taste again and add some more note. Thanks Mike!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
BlackEyePA (573) - USA - DEC 30, 2010
Ok. So. Yep. I had this one of kind brew at a Lieverkusen Beerfest in Germany back in August I guess. So I forgot all about it until, I realized looking at a bottle of brewdog, this is my first taste of their beer. So lets see if my memory serves me correctly...ah yes. I asked for a bottle and they said, um well we serve it in these 10cl glasses here. I said oh ok, 4 euro for 10cl, what a bargain, and they reminded me it was 32% and I said ok start off small. So, they pored it, it was a dark, rick mahogany brown color. Syrupy, dark, caramely, barley wine looking guy. I smelled it, it instantly hit my nose as alcohol, fresh bread, cereal, smoke and tobacco. The taste was of beer first, with a brandy/congac taste immediatley after, with hints of smoke/oak/roasted malt/honey/dark beer and leather. It was complex but again I had 2 sips. It lingered on the palate for a minute and subdued, but you got the vanilla, oak, smokes brew sensation and almost wine and brandy leftover. a hell of a beer. It was strong but not unpleasant. Its not a simple mystery to its ingredients because all of us agreed on a few items then we just lost our focus and kept drinking more. So overall a definite must try, because to call it beer insults it I think, you must look deeper and you will

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Adenila (1560) - DENMARK - DEC 30, 2010
Sampled at "the strongest beer in the world" tasting session on Ørsted Ølbar. The best experience among the 6 samples. Dark brown/black with no head. Aroma of dark mellow chocolate, caramel sharp alchohol and smoke, nice. Very complex flavor. Chocolate and alchohol with a dry ashy smoked finish. Suprisingly plesant and interesting beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
badlizard (5533) - Berkeley, California, USA - DEC 29, 2010
Bottle from La Bodega. Clear dark brown with no head. Big smokey alcoholic aroma with scotch notes and hints of dark fruit lingering on the nose. Tastes of leather, smoke, scotch, tobacco,wood, light bitter chocolate and caramel notes with a big alcoholic bite and lingering smoke and leather in the finish. Thick syrupy palate. Points for being BIG and interestingly complex. While it hits a bit pungently up front, nice flavors reveal themselves with additional sips.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
wheresthepath (2074) - Buckinghamshire, ENGLAND - DEC 28, 2010
[330ml bottle, gift from Jim - huge thanks due!!!] Deep yet vivid ruby-black, no head or fizz. Vicious alcohol burn at first, put soon pungent flavoursstart to spiral out, different and surprising with each sip; roasted malt, port, deep earthy woodland mulch, plain chocolate, salty marmite, peat and cherryade, with smoke in the finish. Sweet with bitter hints from the roasted malt, and with a drying finish that avoids any suggestion of stickiness. Scary and bizarre, but excellent nevertheless and a lot of fun (providing you share it!).

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
renffisch (890) - london, Greater London, ENGLAND - DEC 28, 2010
bottle from my uncle. Paet and somke to excess! strong phenolic nose and a good punch of smpke pickled alcohol.oily consistency and pure madness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
larsniclas (6614) - Billdal, SWEDEN - DEC 25, 2010
Sampled at SBWF-10 Pitch black. No head. Leather and sweet fruits. Pretty sweet and too alcoholic.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
BelgBeerGeek (1308) - Antwerp, BELGIUM - DEC 24, 2010
UPDATED: JUL 9, 2011 head: none , even when poured in very very high
colour: dark coffee brown
smell: alcohol, coffee licqour, rich dark chocolat, very very strong, stingy in the nose , bit of vanilla and oak, sweet/candy , very nice !
taste: very salty malty start, coffee , burned malts , malts and malts !!, very stingy alcohol, candy , bit of anis and lots of herbs/spices , aftertaste is oak , bitter and dry , overall palate is bitter and alcoholisch , very grassy aftertaste , taste is good only the alcohol overwhelms it a bit too much , would’ve been better if it had just the warming stomach feel like the struise 26% beers have .... so the 8 is mostly based on the start and the aftertaste of the beer excluding the alcohol taste ... and even tough you sip this bottle for 4 hours like i did , expect to be drunk !!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
chef201atc (261) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - DEC 21, 2010
Pour is totally carbonation free. Dark color with hints of red. Nose is just divine, smoky, earthy, and sweet. Taste is a bunch of smoke and peat, like a thick glass of scotch. Alcohol doesn’t come through near as much as I thought it would. Mouthfeel is heavy.