BrewDog Zephyr

Style: Fruit Beer
Ellon, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 71   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.37   EST. CALORIES: 390   ABV: 13%
13% India Pale Ale (IPA) that has been in a grain whisky cask for 18 months with 30 kgs of fresh strawberries

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
hopscotch (9163) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - JUL 3, 2009
Bottle (dregs)Ö OísS&BS-I-T-YVBThrowdownÖ Hazy yellow ale with a small, fizzy, white head. The aroma is very discreet, but with effort I am able to pull notes of pale grains, vanilla, sour strawberries, wood and whiskey Ė a touch acidic. Medium-bodied with lively carbonation. The flavor is tangy and bitter and very dry. Also, a bit woody with a hint of whiskey. The high ABV is not in the least bit evident. Finishes bone-dry. Thanks to darkguardian for putting out the effort and expense to give us a chance to try this baby!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
darkguardian (725) - Florida, USA - JUN 29, 2009
I love the nose on this beer. Huge strawberry cream nose. Some subtle notes of citrus (perhaps from the hops, as this was once an IPA) some woody caramel notes probably from the scotch (Invergordon 65 I believe ). This is an AMAZING achievement in terms of balance. This is a near 13% beer that drinks like a 6% beer. Its absolutely insane. You drink a glass of this and you are ready for more and before you know it you can barely stand. Slightly hoppy up front before being dominated by strawberry cream and caramel. Woody with a slightly tart acidicness on the back end. This is a killer beer and one of the most unique beers I have ever had. Another stellar beer from James and his crew.

daknole (9115) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - JUN 20, 2009
Bottle from JW77, quite a generous treat this was. Pours a mostly orange color wtih a good light head. Aroma is all over the place. Berries, stone fruits, vanilla, booze, oak, hops, caramel. Flavor is equally crazy. Tart, sweet, strawberries, boozy, caramel, vanilla, some hops. Wow, this stuff is unique as any beer I have ever had.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BigDUK (13) - West Yorkshire, ENGLAND - JUN 14, 2009
75cl bottle. great looking pour, golden, clear with nice head. aroma has vanilla hint (the whisky is coming through) with fleshy summery fruits, peach, plum, mango. Taste is sharper on the vanilla/whisky, the fruit comes later, with a thin quick alcohol hit as it goes down. An interesting beer, a nice one to try! And with the proceeds going to the RNLI iím happy i had the chance!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Alphadelic (1751) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUN 13, 2009
750ml Bottle thanks to James via Duff: Pours a crisp orange/gold with a nice lively white head. The nose is assaulted by peach and strawberry yogurt, vanilla adding a childlike nature to it. A very light booze is apparent and yet it seems light and puffy, something like sherbert. In the mouth the puffiness is certainly present in the light fizz. It is not so thick but has an easy oiliness to it. Peach, strawberry and apricot progress towards a oak-filled whisky throat burn. Vanilla is very apparent throughout. The tiny fizz complements the delicate, bittersweet nature which leaves little room for any dryness. Dangerously drinkable. Probably their best. Bravo.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jbrus (4992) - Delft, NETHERLANDS - MAY 31, 2009
Bottle@WSF09. Absolutely unique stuff. I havenít found many beers that resemble this. But did I like it? I really couldnít say thatís why I stayed in the middle with my rating. Pity thereís little change I will ever get to re-rate this. Thereís fruit, thereís sourness, thereís alcohol, but it lacks real complexity and body.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
cgarvieuk (14339) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - MAY 8, 2009
UPDATED: AUG 28, 2009 330 ml Bottle at home ... hazy amber ... fruit strawbery nose and its definitly strawberries ... smelll wonderfulll ... light fizzy ... bitter fruitys ... little hop ... again some strawberry ... little whiskey in background ...little zezty lemon peel... quite coconut ... bit bitter and just a bit rough in end ... WOW im glad i got a pre-release of this as the 750ml actual release is £200+ a bottle... AHH all rumour ... £25 a bottle. Didnt work for me... but im still tempted at that price ... Esp as money going to RNLI

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 17/20
harrisoni (13745) - Ashford, Kent, ENGLAND - APR 26, 2009
33cl bottle as part of the limited 35 bottle pre release. I missed the Brew Dog day at The Rake and this is the one beer which I wanted the most and didnít have and I had just consigned it to the growing list of "the one that got away." I had read about the 75cl bottles coming out and then MagicDave6 amazed me by showing me the Brew Dog site where I could get hold of a bottle of the pre release, which I bought straight away of course. Rich reddish gold colour, with a very thin white head. Some very rounded whisky, some kind of honeyed notes and then a definite fruit presence. An imperial IPA with strawberries aged in a whisky cask? I must admit I have my reservations before trying it, even though Iíve been after it for the past 6 months. A mixture of excitement and wariness. It is like strawberry shortbread. Definite biscuity undertone, with the strawberry there, but not dominant, but definitely recognisable. The whisky character is there too, but not overpowering, some honey. What is it? Well itís a curiosity. I do very much like the shortbread biscuit quality to it. I very much like the lingering strawberry flavour that hangs in the mouth with just a sharp edge of whisky. A bit over carbonated that gives it quite a hard edge. After a very good swill in a bowl shaped glass, the aroma is more like something like Brown Brothers Tarango with a vinous strawberry edge. Staggeringly interesting. I can definitely say Iíve never had a beer like it. An experience. The least alcoholic tasting 13% beer Iíve had. The aroma is pretty good, the biscuit in the middle is good and the strawberry linger on the finish is lovely. The whisky on the aroma maybe takes a bit off the score and the palate is left a little less than full, but the finish is quite sublime with that strawberry shortcake flavour. Really quite an extraordinary experience.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
KnutAlbert (6106) - Oslo, NORWAY - JAN 16, 2009
Cask at the Rake. Vinous, the whisky gives a warming alcohol to the brew. The strawberries are not very evident, but they are immersed into the brew which makes it rather like a fortified wine or perhaps an Eiswein. I think this can be improved upon.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Ethereal (2417) - Los Angeles, California, USA - JAN 2, 2009
Cask at The Rake, 2nd Dec 08 with tashi. Many thanks, Glyn! Strawberry and alcohol aroma forewarns you of what you to expect! Amber, flat (it came straight from the barrel). Not up my alley really, I think strawberry really needs to be a lambic to work imho. The alcohol is well hidden though - it feels like a 7% beer, not a 13% one - be careful!