Brewery Vivant Barrel Aged Raspberry Rye Porter

Brewery Vivant Barrel Aged Raspberry Rye Porter
     click to upload

RATINGS: 2   MEAN: 3.55/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.95   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
trumpetskid (106) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 4, 2012
I had this on tap at the brewery. First let me say that they served this MUCH too cold. The beer was so cold that it felt like they chilled the glass, which they, of course, hadn’t. I guess they waited for the mountains to turn blue before they served it. I was in a bit of a rush, so I couldn’t sit around forever to wait for it to warm up. I tried to warm it up with my hands to little avail. Anyway, as a result the aroma and flavor were quite muted. It seems like there was a pretty nice beer underneath all that arctic chill. From what I could tell, the raspberry added a very nice sweet tartness at the finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bigtaster (527) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - NOV 20, 2012
On tap in tulip, Pours black with nice thick brown head. Nose has notes of spicy rye and chocolate. Taste is mostly power with slight hints of the rye and just a tinge of sweet fruit on the finish. Also some good smoke flavors come through. Medium body. Very well balanced and good combinations of flavor.