Brewery Vivant / New Belgium Escoffier

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 88   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.51   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 278   ABV: 9.25%
Escoffier is our much heralded collaboration with New Belgium Brewing in Ft. Collins, CO. Coinciding with their entry into Michigan in August 2012, this project began with a friendly meeting at our pub. After a few beers and some food, the idea to brew a beer together started to take shape. Surprise!

Auguste Escoffier is considered the master chef of the 20th century. His ideas and methods left an indellible imprint on the culinary world, and are still in use to this very day. We named our beer ’Escoffier’ to celebrate the relationship between great food and excellent beer, and how they elevate each other when enjoyed together. If you’ve ever visited our pub, this is the cornerstone of what we try to accomplish.

Will we make it again? Only the ghost of old Escoffier knows.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
milewide (1490) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - SEP 1, 2012
UPDATED: SEP 3, 2012 Rerate: Can 2/4. I’ve upped my rating! I’ve never smelled or tasted a more "rotten/horse blanket" bretta brew! Can says that it contains live yeast, and will improve for 5 years. I believe it! Red amber color. Average head. Aroma and taste were funky bretta and sour. Medium body. $19.99/4 16oz. cans.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
JPDurden24 (1563) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - DEC 22, 2013
From the can, brett, citrus and funk all around. One of the tastiest brett beers I have ever had. Love it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Marheb (1997) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - OCT 31, 2012
UPDATED: NOV 12, 2013 Croustillante, cuivrée en la versant et déjà l’arôme m’assailli, la couverte de cheval est bien humide. En bouche c’est riche, vivant et brillamment carbonaté, parfait. Les saveurs tourne autour du malt caramel tourmenté par le brett bruxellensis, pas très sûr, juste funky.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
alliance100 (636) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - JUL 20, 2013
16 oz can and draft. One of the best bretts i’ve ever had. Very excited to see how this develops in the can. Hope Vivant does this one again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MatthewHinz (11) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - OCT 1, 2012
UPDATED: OCT 2, 2012 I bought 8 of these and plan to save 5 of them. I’ll drink one a year for the next five years to see just how it ages. As of now I like it. I don’t think I can describe it better than it already has been here. Just to let everyone know, they still have a lot of this at Tiffany’s Wine and Spirit Shoppe in Kalamazoo. Get it while it lasts. Reminds me of a good aged cheese. Lots of character and tart. Can’t wait to see how it ages.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
firstsip (385) - Michigan, USA - DEC 18, 2013
Can. Cloudy amber. Tons of head on pour. Incredible lacing and a thin layer of head lasting throughout drink. Nose is pure yeast/funk. Thinnish mouthfeel. Bretta yeast defines this beer--tastes very much like a farmhouse. Very mild hop presence felt on tongue. Great beer--too bad it’s so expensive!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Petkus331 (243) - Redford, Michigan, USA - DEC 18, 2013
Aroma reminds me of a late harvest reisling, acidic apple, pear, some cherry and a hint of metal; banana is the only aroma I get that I would not expect of a late harvest reisling. Appearance is a hazy reddish orange, a tuft of white foam and thick curtains of lace. Taste is acidic, slightly sour, apple and pear stand out prominently with a light oregano like hop bitterness on the end. Palate is beautiful, I almost wanted to give it 5/5; fizzy and creamy, but not syrupy, very nice. Overall, a great beer, a little pricy, but I will still be buying this again. Cheers!

574deadzone (1023) - North Central, Indiana, USA - MAY 17, 2014
Another great gift. Pours orange-amber with a fair khaki head that leaves some spots of lace. Nose involves brown sugar, tart yeast, some funky earthy stuff, apple skin, hay and grass. Pretty sweet, fairly tart, slight bitter. Medium to full bodied, oily, snappy, tart, with a lengthy yeasty drying farmy finish. Really enjoying this. Sure it would gain some complexity with a little more age, but as is, it has plenty of good stuff going on and it’s just flat out refreshing and drinkable despite the ABV. Good stuff.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
blackflag321 (476) - Lansing, Michigan, USA - SEP 25, 2012
Can pour into goblet. Reddish amber/gold; small, brief head. Tart, fruity, slightly sour. Very nice tasting now, but I am guessing it will taste more complex with age. I better put some away.

Tmoney99 (10544) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - OCT 21, 2012
Draft. Poured a clear copper color with an average frothy off-white head that mostly lasted with good lacing. Moderate to heavy sour funk aroma. Medium to full body with a smooth texture and soft carbonation. Medium to heavy sour & sweet fruit flavor with a medium to heavy sweet & sour finish of moderate to long duration. This is a standout beer.