Bristol Single Hop IPA
     click to upload

RATINGS: 4   MEAN: 2.7/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.73   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 60   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
We created this series to explore the nuances of individual hop varieties by using just one hop in each brew, rather than a combination. (And also because we just really dig hops) Available exclusively on draught in the Bristol Pub. Ask your server which hop variety we are currently serving.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
kathouse (1065) - Nevada, USA - NOV 26, 2014
Had the Chinook version. Aroma was very much like corn. Nice amber color with a thick head. Flavor is good with a terrific bitterness but wouldnít use for the aroma. This beer could use a little more caramel malt as well.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Alexnbaum (13) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - JUL 12, 2014
Since each hop is very different, this beer is hard to rate. The summit & simcoe & cascade versions were phenomenal, while all the others left we wanting something more. Very cool idea, itís been fun trying all the different hops.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
RABinCO (1399) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - MAY 23, 2014
Draft pour. Horizon hops. Golden pour, nice white head. Aroma of honey, grass, citrus. Taste is grass, orange zest, a bit of grapefruit. Nice bitter bite. Finishes a bit on the sweet side, but a strong bitterness really lingers.

0.9
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
NachlamSie (2796) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAR 12, 2014
Pint at the brewery. Okay, this really solidifies my disdain for Bristol Brewing. This particular beer is so awful that I am perplexed as to how this could be produced and sold in a culture that is fairly beer savvy. I weighed the option that perhaps Bristol is trolling us all with this garbage labeled "IPA". No matter how I want to review this, this is not good on any merits. Itís not good to my personal taste, itís not to style, itís not a well made beer, itís just not an enjoyable beverage by any standard. This liquid comes in a dimpled, handled mug for some reason. Anyway, this Single Hop IPA is apparently highlighting Simcoe. Going in with that preconception, I would expect some assertive hop notes, maybe some citrus and dank herbs. Shit, based on the notion that this is commercially produced craft beer for people to actually drink, it should smell somewhat appealing. Instead, the aroma is rife with creamed corn, damp grains and huge, huge butter. The hops are so muddled and weird that I couldnít begin to tell you what strain it is.On a good day, I might be able to narrow it down to American or Australian of some variety. The flavor is dreadful. Not "disappointing for an IPA" or "not hoppy enough" or any of that stuff. I mean, itís so riddled with brewing flaws that itís to the point of inducing laughter. . .then slow, slow tears of sorrow. Each sip compounds coating, thick butter on my palate. Suggestions of soured milk and rotten grains show their ugly head in the finish. The hop flavor is a sick, twisted joke. I have been much more selective in my beer sampling in recent years and as a result I havenít come across a genuine drain pour. But because of my curiosity of the new Bristol facility in the Ivywild School and a free beer coupon, I wound up with this vile swill. The positive note here is that I have a new appreciation for well made craft beer even if it might not be to my personal taste. Itís like the Ghost of Christmas Present baring Bristol Single Hop IPA as a symbol to frighten me into realizing just how good I have it. I literally could not finish this pint, even after adding lemon to it and trying to mask its awful flavor with palate-consuming food.