overall

RATINGS: 3261   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 51   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
This is the famous Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, our award-winning rendition of the Imperial Stout style once made exclusively for Catherine the Great. We use three mashes to brew each batch of this beer, achieving a luscious deep dark chocolate flavor through a blend of specialty roasted malts. We brew it every year for the winter season. It is delicious when newly bottled, but also ages beautifully for years.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DarkElf (3050) - La Jolla, California, USA - MAY 26, 2005
(12 oz bottle: Obtained in trade with Eyedrinkale, thanks Mike!) Iíve been drinking and rating this hugely popular and highly rated Imperial Stout going back to the winter of 1995, and my opinion on this beer hasnít changed much. Iíll commit heresy and say that I think this beer is somewhat overrated and overhyped. Not that it isnít a very good beer, but Iíve never found it to be in the categoryís elite. Itís big and very chocolaty, thus adhering to truth in advertising. Itís also roasty, bitter, a bit earthy and quite sweet, but the sweetness seems kind of sugary to me. Sweet, roasty, chocolaty aroma. The mouthfeel is full and round, chewy and viscous. Dark brown color isnít quite black, but getting close. Small, tan head is short-lived, fading down to nothing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
OhioDad (2492) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - MAY 26, 2005
Bottle 12oz - Poured black as night with a short tan head that dissipates quickly to a ring around the outside of the glass and laces well. Aroma is chocolate and caramel and more chocolate and some hops. The flavor is like hersheyís syrup. I think I could put this on ice cream I really do. It is quite tasty but I really think that you can describe it with those 2 words. On the palate it coats your mouth like hersheyís syrup it is quite rich and quite thick too. Leaves a nice long chocolate aftertaste as well as the warmth from the alchohol. This is a really tasty beer. It ranks right up there with the best of the imperials in my opinion and you canít beat the 7.99 price for a 6 pack here.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DragonStout (1408) - Pickerington, Ohio, USA - MAY 21, 2005
O hell yeah!Rich black beer.Chocolate on the nose.Mouth feel real slick like oil with lots of chocolate.Finish was clean leaving me wanting more.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Dough77 (821) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - MAY 19, 2005
This stuff just about knocked my socks off, and thats with drinking it just after allagash odyssey! Pour was super rich, syrup-like, thickness coating the glass with a small but pleasent head. Aroma full of wonderful chocolate, caramel, just enough hopage. They say its a good accompaniment to a chocolate dessert, but I think its more of a dessert than an accompaniment to one. Left an amazing coat of chocolatey goodness in my mouth long after I finished the bottle. Again thanks to Jeffin7 for this bad boy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
FrkAabenhuus (147) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - MAY 19, 2005
Pours black with a huge brown head. Aroma of dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malt and dark fruit. Nice flavor of dark chocolate, coffee, dark fruit, and some notes of hops. Really nice with a long lasting aftertaste.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Schioth (41) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - MAY 18, 2005
Bottle. Aroma is extremely rich (but I donít quite care for it!!). Beatiful "black as the night"-appearance with light-brown foam. Excellent flavor that really tastes like chocolate. Very long bitter-sweet finish as well. Mouthfeel is great too. Overall a must-try, albeit not my favorite beer type...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
llgrgg (18) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAY 16, 2005
Pours almost black, big tan creamy head. Lacing is beautiful of course. Aroma of chocolate, coffee, and more coffee with a hint of bitterness. Full palate with tastes of the same aroma. Great chocolate taste with a splash of bitterness at the end of each sip. Overall, a stout lovers prize.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BrockLanders (780) - Panama City, Florida, USA - MAY 16, 2005
Pours a very dark brown...nearly black, but certainly opaque. Aroma is full of chocolatey roasty malts. The flavor is bittersweet, with a semisweet chocolate tone at the start and then a nice bitter roastiness toward the end. Lots of choco-coffee mixed in as well, with a full-bodied mouthfeel and a very long appropriately bitter finish. Very tasty IS.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
WesBeerGuy (62) - Rocky Hill, Connecticut, USA - MAY 12, 2005
I picked this up at a pretty trashy liquor store, after all others had been out since mid-March and I had yet to buy some. Then I noticed itís from 03/04. Anyway. Pours thick and black like all stouts should and few do. Aroma us huge on chocolate, with some dark roast nuts, and something else I canít quite put my finger on. Unique. Tastes very strongly of roast and chocolate malts. Some slightly tangy finish, with an ill-disguised alcohol burn, but I think that is because the bottle is a year and a half old. I will rerate come this winter.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (5591) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 11, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 3, 2011 I have encountered this beer a couple of times and have been moderately impressed by it each time. Sampled from a 12 oz brown bottle this beer pours thick, black and oily with a small dark brown head. The aroma is bitter hops. The flavor is roasted malts followed by a sharp hop bite and with light chocolate and coffee undertones. The mouthfeel is fairly thick and creamy.